FOODS WITH FAT

Options
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST FOODS WITH FAT. I AM SUPPOSED TO BE TAKING 100 CALORIES WORTH, BUT ALSO NEEDS TO BE LOW IN CARBS AND CALORIES. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. JENNIFER

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If it's high in fat, it can't really be low in calories....

Why are you supposed to be taking in 100 calories worth of fat? (which would be about 15 almonds, supplying 9 grams of fat btw)
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION. I WILL GIVE THE ALMONDS A TRY MAYBE IN SOME GREEK YOGURT. I AM ON A MEDICALLY SUPERVISED DIET. 20% FAT 60% PROTEIN 20% CARBS.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Part of an avocado
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    100 calories of fat, that is low in calories? I'm missing something here. Fwiw, one tbsp of butter is about 100 calories. No carbs. Did you possibly mean 100 g of fat?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've never heard of a plan with 60% protein, 20% fat. I've heard of the other way around. Maybe ask your doctor or a licensed Dietician for a suggestion of what to eat. That plan is pretty extreme - it's going to be difficult to hit those numbers.

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    grams, my bad..... i have changed my numbers but still have the old tapes playing of fat being unhealthy!
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    grams, my bad..... i have changed my numbers but still have the old tapes playing of fat being unhealthy!

Glad you've seen the light. To answer your question : Eggs, sardines (any oily fish), cashews, almonds, olive oil, coconut oil. That's some from the top of my head.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    To add to thee above: Bacon, sausage, fattier brisket (this can be hard to find outside of ethnic markets), corned beef, specific cheeses (St. Andre, neufchatel, colby, feta), chicken wings, and of course just adding oils to lean meats works too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fat is the absolute easiest macro for me to consume to the point where I have to watch not to over consume it. The trick? Lots of nuts, lots of olive oil on your salad/dips..etc, frying stuff instead of boiling, heavy cream in coffee, melty cheese smothered vegetables or your choice of protein, sauces that incorporate lots of butter, real coconut milk in milkshakes, burgers made with fatty cuts of meat...etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    100 g of fat requires no thought -- you'd probably get that (or more) just eating whatever you normally eat. Log and see. Use butter or olive oil when cooking vegetables or olive oil and vinegar in a salad dressing or add olives or eat some nuts or choose a less lean cut of meat or eggs or some dairy that isn't skim.

I'd have to work to keep my fat down to 100 g, which is quite low.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    100 g of fat requires no thought -- you'd probably get that (or more) just eating whatever you normally eat. Log and see. Use butter or olive oil when cooking vegetables or olive oil and vinegar in a salad dressing or add olives or eat some nuts or choose a less lean cut of meat or eggs or some dairy that isn't skim.

I think the confusion stems from wanting things to be both high fat and low calorie. Looking at a mere handful of nuts then seeing it has nearly 200 calories or seeing how only a tablespoon of butter adds a 100 calories to the meal can be intimidating to some. There is no way around it OP. Fat has a lot of calories. The only way to keep calories within your target is by controlling the amount. You could bulk your meals with veggies if it looks like too little food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just to clarify, OP, you should be eating 20% of your calories from fat, which is 100g?
  • amusedmonkey
    edited July 2016
    Options
    just to clarify, OP, you should be eating 20% of your calories from fat, which is 100g?

60%. I think she is on a 1500 calorie diet but mixed up her macros when she listed the percentages. If she is on a 4500 calorie diet (to want to have 100 grams at 20%) that wouldn't be a weight loss diet.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I'm kind of confused about this, because that would mean 900 calories is only 20% of the OP's daily intake. I want that kind of TDEE! ;)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

60%. I think she is on a 1500 calorie diet but mixed up her macros when she listed the percentages. If she is on a 4500 calorie diet (to want to have 100 grams at 20%) that wouldn't be a weight loss diet.

upthread she said 20% fat, 60% protein, 20% carbs...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'm kind of confused about this, because that would mean 900 calories is only 20% of the OP's daily intake. I want that kind of TDEE! ;)

that's what i thought, but then figured i must have been confused.....
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2016
    Options

I think the confusion stems from wanting things to be both high fat and low calorie. Looking at a mere handful of nuts then seeing it has nearly 200 calories or seeing how only a tablespoon of butter adds a 100 calories to the meal can be intimidating to some. There is no way around it OP. Fat has a lot of calories. The only way to keep calories within your target is by controlling the amount. You could bulk your meals with veggies if it looks like too little food.

Ugh, my post was confused. I'd have to work to get fat up to 100 g -- I usually come in around 55 g (no effort). What I meant to say is I'd have to work to keep fat calories down at 100 calories, which is what I think OP might mean.

OP said his/her diet is supposed to be 20% fat, 60% protein, 20% carbs. If she is supposed to follow that and eat 100 g of fat, that is an overall diet of 4500 calories and 2700 calories (or 675 g) of protein, which is neither healthy nor plausible.

If you assume calories, OP would be eating 500 calories total, of which 100 calories would be fat, 100 carbs, and the remaining 300 (or 75 g) would be protein. Plausible with the fact that it's physician supervised, but insanely low IMO -- I'd hope the doctor would have a strictly regulated for nutrients diet plan with calories that low.

Anyway, this makes me wonder if the real answer is something else and OP is confused about what the 20% fat calculates out to. OP, how many total calories are you supposed to be eating?

Anyway, if the goal is 20% fat, there would be no need to seek out high fat additions, which is what I was trying to say.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Fat is the absolute easiest macro for me to consume to the point where I have to watch not to over consume it. The trick? Lots of nuts, lots of olive oil on your salad/dips..etc, frying stuff instead of boiling, heavy cream in coffee, melty cheese smothered vegetables or your choice of protein, sauces that incorporate lots of butter, real coconut milk in milkshakes, burgers made with fatty cuts of meat...etc.

This is what I do also. I've switched what I love for high fat versions like heavy cream in my coffee, butter on top of my green beans/veggies, olive oil for stir fry (I cook the veggies in water and spices until tender and add olive oil right before serving).

@EttaMaeMartin your protein % is high, IMO, but since you are being directed by a physician, then he or she will monitor you go along. I unfortunately adapted to high protein and had to drop down my level because I stopped losing weight.

I'm trying low carb/high fat with success although I plan to slowly up my carbs to find out the % that I feel best. To each their own.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think we need clarification about what the diet is before giving advice.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I think we need clarification about what the diet is before giving advice.

This is true. Why is OP asking for advice?