Alcohol

Options
I'm curious about any success stories about weight loss from quitting drinking alcohol? I have the habit of drinking a couple or more glasses of wine a night and I decided to quit yesterday. Need to stay strong.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    you'll hear all over the place here…that quitting is good because you cut those calories and being buzzed leads to munching and losing will power. But.. calories are calories..and if you figured those into your daily deficit..you'd still lose. I've read threads where many have lost and still drink.
  • katieelizabethm713
    katieelizabethm713 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Haha I don't have the willpower to contain myself from snacking when I drink. So quitting completely will help the most ☺️
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've found that giving up alcohol (January) and cutting down (Feb onwards) has made a huge difference. For me, it's not so much the calories from the alcohol (although they are factor) but more the fact that I tend to get the munchies when I drink and then all my good intentions are forgotten whilst I raid the fridge for snacks! This doesn't tend to happen as much when I'm sober so for the first time in years I'm really getting there. Only 10lbs more to go! Good luck. I hope it works for you too :)
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I believe cutting most of my drinking has helped me tremendously.

I still fit one in every now and then, but one or two is enough to suffice when visiting with people.

In fact, one of the reasons I started MFP is to help with alcohol consumption. I feel so much better.

*cheers*
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I first started with MFP, I gave up wine (tough to do, since I am in the wine business). I did not consume (I did taste and spit on the job) for eight months.

I am sure that this did help my weight loss.

After that time, I added wine back in, on a daily basis. I allow myself one glass of wine ( 5 ounces) before dinner and one with dinner.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I am also in that place right now. I will be working with a hypnotherapist to help me cut down on my habit of wine every night. I'm not doing well on my iwn. It's due to prior stress the I just kept up the habit and am reDy to reduce or quit fir health and weight loss reasind
    How did you break your habit?
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have found success simply by not drinking their calories, alcohol or otherwise. Milky/sugary coffee and tea, juices, milkshakes, hot chocolates, alcoholic beverages, thickshakes, soft drink/soda/pop - they're all really fast ways to consume calories we don't need, and usually with limited nutritional benefit. The difference with alcohol is that we tend to be holding a glass in one hand and snacking with the other!

Unfortunately for me I pretty much only drink alcohol when we go out for dinner (every week or two), and I already only drink water and black and green tea on a normal day, so I'm not going to lose a noticeable amount of weight by cutting alcohol :disappointed: But if you're consuming liquid calories daily then cutting them out will probably make a difference to you.

Good luck! :smile:
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking wine in January. I was a Friday night drinker and had been doing that for more years then I could remember. That would then cause me to be hung over on Saturday and drink huge amounts of soft drink and to eat badly.

One day I just decided I didn't want to anymore. The first weekend was hard, but I just made sure I had something planned to distract me at the time I would normally have a drink. Then I started to exercise and would exercise instead. Lucky for me exercise takes away any thoughts of having a drink.

Good luck
  • Naturelovingmonkey
    Naturelovingmonkey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's always herbal tea.....
    Not the same but quenches the thirst and hunger
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about any success stories about weight loss from quitting drinking alcohol? I have the habit of drinking a couple or more glasses of wine a night and I decided to quit yesterday. Need to stay strong.

I stopped drinking, not much other change...lost 28 lbs within about 3 months...
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No need to quit alcohol if you can stay within your calorie goal.

Unless you drink unhealthy ammounts. Then you should obviously quit, but not for weight loss reasons.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much anyway but do find that if I do then I get serious munchies...

Look at what type of alcohol you drink e.g. Gin & slimline tonic is way less calories than a pint of Guinness or large glass of wine

I sometimes drink sparkling water in wine glass - makes my brain think I have a glass of prosecco

Try to stick to your calorie goal
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Many will hate this but I started to mix my red wine with water to reduce the number of calories. I did this because I found it hard to find another drink to accompany dinner which wasn't either too sweet or too sharp. I just added a dash at first (also helps if the wine you've opened is a bit screechy) but over time I am now unable to drink wine that is stronger than 50:50! Nowadays I only drink wine when out and it's no longer a calorie issue but I have to ask for a glass of non iced water so I can still dilute it :)
  • katieelizabethm713
    Options
    Many will hate this but I started to mix my red wine with water to reduce the number of calories. I did this because I found it hard to find another drink to accompany dinner which wasn't either too sweet or too sharp. I just added a dash at first (also helps if the wine you've opened is a bit screechy) but over time I am now unable to drink wine that is stronger than 50:50! Nowadays I only drink wine when out and it's no longer a calorie issue but I have to ask for a glass of non iced water so I can still dilute it :)

Funny you say that because I've always drank red wine with ice...so the ice usually dilutes it down a significant amount haha doesn't taste too bad!
  • katieelizabethm713
    Options
    CraigCooke wrote: »

I stopped drinking, not much other change...lost 28 lbs within about 3 months...

That's amazing!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend, but work my butt off hard every day and burn 1000 calories. It works for me.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I too love the wine and a bit too much! Anyways I decided to really give it a shot of giving it up 12/01/2015. I have lost 30 lbs but I did go to the gym to distract myself every day so that may have something to do with it. I have now added Wine back in a little bit more the last two weeks but am still steadily losing because I make sure I do not snack and that I am still at a deficit. Hope this helps! :)
  • katieelizabethm713
    Options
    Hey there! I too love the wine and a bit too much! Anyways I decided to really give it a shot of giving it up 12/01/2015. I have lost 30 lbs but I did go to the gym to distract myself every day so that may have something to do with it. I have now added Wine back in a little bit more the last two weeks but am still steadily losing because I make sure I do not snack and that I am still at a deficit. Hope this helps! :)
    Wow this really helps!!
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit entirely but I don't drink now Monday - Friday afternoon...unless there is a planned event. I try to make plans in the evenings like taking my kids to visit my parents, or going to an exercise class - something that passes the time and doesn't normally revolve around drinking. I also put the kettle on as soon as I get in from work as I don't fancy a glass of wine when I have had a hot drink. Good luck! x
  • aft85
    aft85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to budget alcohol with exercise calories, because it's not feasible to get a bottle of wine into 1200 calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!