Any Adults Who Are Living At Home???

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    With the way the current economy is, no one born after Jan. 1, 1980 should be criticized for living at home. It is Generation Y (commonly cited as birth years 1980-1994) that has taken the worst of the current economic downturn. Census data showed about 14.2% of all young people ages 25 to 34 are still living in their parents' homes as of 2011.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Middleclass-income-fell-in-cnnm-1748504813.html?x=0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/10/number-of-adult-americans-living-with-their-parents_n_795185.html

It is harder for young adults to have independence. Unemployment is highest for those under 30 and the jobs that most 20 somethings have pay paltry amounts compared to the 20 somethings of 20-30 years ago.
  • kizzy482
    kizzy482 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with your situation. I currently moved back home all because both of my parents at one time had lost their job. I didnt want to see them loose a house they had worked hard to have built plus during the process I had to sacrifice too. As long as you are helping out and trying to save there is nothing wrong. I am trying to save some money to get me a house too.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    If you have a great relationship with your parents, it's a great way to save up money. My fiance and I moved in with my mom for about 3-4 months a few years ago to save up money to buy a house. Personally, after the drama that's been happening with my family, I'd only use it as a last resort now. Even then, I think I would rather just live in my car. I love my mom, but she can be way to overwhelming. I've done it once, and if absolutely necessary I will do it again. However, it will be my last resort.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Start a timeline plan now, if you haven't already. Get a part time job- anything, even flipping burgers if need be. Save everything from the part time job for 1-2 years and 10-20% of your full time job, that will be enough for a down payment on a small place, plus a bit left over. Just do it for your own sanity! Good luck!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    this is really disgusting. you have a job. move out. wow.
    You're a *kitten* =/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    At age 25 I got out of the military and ended up getting divorced all within 2 months. I couldn't find a job and my ex refused to help me or our kids. I moved home for 9 months until I could afford to make ends meet (still without a job). Sure I would love to be saving the rent money and work on buying a house, but raising my kids on my own without financial assistance from the government or family is more important. This may be a d*ck response from me, but I think you need to set a date (say a year from moving in) and then move out. If you can't manage to save money in that time then you are enjoying the cheap ride.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do you have some firm goals - a set amount of money, and a budget of how many weeks it will take to reach that goal? Maybe seeing the light at the end of the tunnel will help lift your spirits? And having a firm goal (instead of waiting until you feel it's "enough") will give you something to throw yourself at, totally and completely. Go for it!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    tough love. I don't think people should simply move back home at age 30 something to "save money". Unless there is some sort of catalyst, i don't understand why someone would move home to save money. Owning a home is a big move. I just don't understand the logic here. Everyone can keep feeding you the "it's okay" line, but obviously you posted this because in your mind, it feels a little weird. And you have a reason to feel that way. It is your life, and you should do what you want with it.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Would it be any different if the OP was a man? I've met countless girls who would criticize men (who are even younger than the OP) that still live at home. I have a good friend that was online dating and would totally drop a guy if she found he was still living at home and over 30. Actually most women I know would do the same exact thing.

It seems that women are the first to stick up for another women who still lives at home and are beyond critical when they meet a guy who's doing the same thing.

Discuss.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Would it be any different if the OP was a man? I've met countless girls who would criticize men (who are even younger than the OP) that still live at home. I have a good friend that was online dating and would totally drop a guy if she found he was still living at home and over 30. Actually most women I know would do the same exact thing.

It seems that women are the first to stick up for another women who still lives at home and are beyond critical when they meet a guy who's doing the same thing.

Discuss.

This is a big reason I'm shy with dating, myself. Like I said earlier, I live at home with parents because of a disability, but if that doesn't scare someone away, living at home at 31 would. At least with most women, it seems.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to move back home. My parents relocated about 7 hours away from all their kids for my dad's job. I'm the single one. I'm 30. My mom needs someone who can help her around the house some and help her get to doctor's appointments and grocery shop etc. Also, I freakin miss them! Right now.. I am in Alabama alone. My other siblings are 2 hours away in Georgia, 12 hours away in Ohio, and my parents are 7 hours away in Indiana. I'm alone. And, I feel alone. I am leaving a great job, an awesome apartment, a super nice guy (who isn't going to commit) and moving home with no real plans other than helping them, being 2 semesters away from finishing my degree, and picking up a part time job while I look for something better. Most people think I'm crazy. I just think I'm a daddy's girl and I miss my daddy. I'm gonna live in their basement for a minute in transition until I get a job and can get a place of my own.. and I'm good with that.

If you don't want to be there.. don't be. If your comfortable and they are comfortable.. there is nothing wrong with it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Discuss.

Yes, it would be. There's far more of a stigma on men living at home than women living at home. Men living at home are undateable whereas men will not reject women living at home.

Also, the OP has a job, whereas a lot of adults who return to live at home do so because of unemployment or jobs that are beneath what they should be earning. This is not the case with the OP, as she says she's making decent money.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options

Discuss.

Not much to discuss. Taking into consideration todays economy and other issues, my answer is no. Gender has nothing to do with it.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    "Tough Love" requires one major component: love.

"I don't see why someone would move back home to save money"

... because oh, it's a lot easier to save money in a house, rather than in a dumpster?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Discuss.

hahahaha. i would say the same thing to any guy living at home. But i do have to agree with you. huge double standard
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in a situation that I have been kind of bummed about. I'm 33, and have been living at home with my parents for a couple years, trying to save up enough money for a condo or small house. I haven't always lived at home. I moved out on my own at 19, moved back at 21, and out again at 23, and came back home at 31. Most days I am very great-ful that they have allowed me to stay here.
    ( I do pay them some money every month to help out with expenses. )

That all being said, I fear that my confined space has made me more bummier feeling and a little claustrophobic in my own living space. I went from an entire apartment to one room ( and some space in an attic )

I make decent money, but I am single. I know people who make it on less then I make, but they struggle, and someday soon I do want to buy a place of my own instead of putting money toward rent and somewhat struggling.

I sometimes feel like living here is giving me a complex though. Again, I don't have much room at all, my parents keep everything, ( not as bad as hoarders, but think a mild case of it )

Is anyone here in a situation like this? Or have been? How were things, how did they turn out? Please don't tell me I am alone in this. I need people I can relate too here, and I know one other person in real life who has had this happen to them.

You are so not alone! Last year our business tanked and we lost everything. My husband and I and our 4 kids had nowhere to go...my in-laws have taken us in and have been so unbelievably patient with our chaos!

Don't let *kitten* like vmclach invade your mind...it's obvious from their attitude and their profile photo...they're low rent anyways.

Best wishes to you on your journey.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Discuss.

I think it depends on WHY he still lives there, not that he does. If he refuses to get a job, and for example: plays video games(not that this is a bad thing by itself), drinks, and smokes pot all day, then he definitely deserves to be criticized. If he lives at home because he is going back to school, lost his job because of the economy, or legitimately can't make ends meet, then there shouldn't be a problem. I think that living at home for awhile is definitely sexier than having $50,000 in credit card debt from not being able to afford essentials and rent.
  • WarningBell
    Options
    I'll be 25 in October and I still live at home. My father passed away a year and a half ago so it's just three of us -- my mother, my 93 year old grandmother, and myself. I was appointed full-time in February (subbing since November) and fortunately my job pays for my college tuition. I plan on saving as much as I can while still pursuing my degree and living home.. and yes I put money towards bills/help out with food as much as I can.

Do I want to live and bicker with my mother until I'm 30? Absolutely not.. but I'm trying to be as practical as I can while I don't have a huge rent bill every month.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options

Discuss.

I think it depends on WHY he still lives there, not that he does. If he refuses to get a job, and for example: plays video games(not that this is a bad thing by itself), drinks, and smokes pot all day, then he definitely deserves to be criticized. If he lives at home because he is going back to school, lost his job because of the economy, or legitimately can't make ends meet, then there shouldn't be a problem. I think that living at home for awhile is definitely sexier than having $50,000 in credit card debt from not being able to afford essentials and rent.

^^^^^THIS. You said it better than I did. Same concept if it was a female. Gender doesn't matter.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with you living with your parents or parents living with you kids? It used to be this way for many a generation....
    I lost my husband 4 years ago and a year later my mom moved in with me... I had the room, she lived in an apartment... it was win win for both of us... I see nothing wrong with it. We are like two sorority girls in the house.. I am blessed to have my mom still with me and my best friend. You do what you need to!!!