Will I burnout doing this?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Gosh I didn't mean for this to turn into a thing

Heh. It wasn't you at all. Pay no attention to the back and forth between us. That's just what we do. You're doing fine but if you're not losing weight take a look at your calories. People tend to way overestimate how many calories they burn while underestimating how many they consume
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Can I just say she said she is FEELING cold, as in a lower body temperature, not that she has a cold? She FEELS cold. Her body is cold.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can I just say she said she is FEELING cold, as in a lower body temperature, not that she has a cold? She FEELS cold. Her body is cold.

Not only are you being a buzzkill....

I feel ok tiredness wise but find that I keep getting a cold

You're also wrong
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that running is leg training. I don't think you're going to burn out- I always get sick when I start working out (lactic acid and just crap stored in muscles that is released). I think your workouts are a good middle of the road routine. At the end of the day you'll know if you're getting burned out.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ok, here goes my second attempt.

I'm 5' 7, 32 years old and female. I wear a Fitbit charge that counts my steps and measures my heart rate. During my normal walks with my girls in the stroller, I typically burnt 650 calories in an hour. I don't walk like most people lol. It's a very hilly fast paced resistance walk where I'm pushing 50 pounds worth of children and stroller.

Only recently (past 2 weeks) have I started doing hiit with it. 40 seconds walking as fast as I can, then walking slowly for the remainder 2 mins. Continue this for an hour and then the rest of the time, I'm walking very very slowly. So this is not a slow paced light cardio walk to the shops!

Even my daily walk alone for an hour is brisk. My heart rate hovers around 70 % of my max.

Since I have my Fitbit, I aim to walk around 15-20k a day. If, during any of my walks, including on the day I strength train, I don't hit this number, I find myself pacing on the spot while I am doing chores or watching tv, to get my steps in! My Fitbit shows that I regularly burn 3000k calories as a result.

For instance, yesterday. I walked 9.5 miles in the day and clocked 21k steps. Now, I'm not doing this for any particular reason aside from the fact that I absolutely love working out and the buzz it gives me. I don't want to stop unless it has an adverse impact on my health. I am finding though that I need to nap 45 min daily since starting this routine. Oh, and I am not new to exercise. I've been working out with weight and doing cardio 4x a week for the past 4 years.

I have very good stamina and can generally workout 70-90% of my max hr for an hour and have no problems with it whatsoever. I just wanted to know if the workout schedule above could be what is making me have cold symptoms and I should be taking it easy. I think I will have Sunday as my rest day though I will struggle with that as I am a major fidget since getting the Fitbit! I love to see how many steps I can clock and calories I can burn!
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Also, while doing steady cardio, I have found that my Fitbit grossly underestimates my calorie burn compared to my polar monitor. I walked the other day and burnt 800 calories according to my polar yet my Fitbit showed I had only burnt half of that. I have been consuming 500 calories under that 3000 calorie tdee and have lost accordingly the past few weeks so I don't think that the 3000k calories is too generous considering how much I'm working out
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, here goes my second attempt.

I'm 5' 7, 32 years old and female. I wear a Fitbit charge that counts my steps and measures my heart rate. During my normal walks with my girls in the stroller, I typically burnt 650 calories in an hour. I don't walk like most people lol. It's a very hilly fast paced resistance walk where I'm pushing 50 pounds worth of children and stroller.

Only recently (past 2 weeks) have I started doing hiit with it. 40 seconds walking as fast as I can, then walking slowly for the remainder 2 mins. Continue this for an hour and then the rest of the time, I'm walking very very slowly. So this is not a slow paced light cardio walk to the shops!

Even my daily walk alone for an hour is brisk. My heart rate hovers around 70 % of my max.

Since I have my Fitbit, I aim to walk around 15-20k a day. If, during any of my walks, including on the day I strength train, I don't hit this number, I find myself pacing on the spot while I am doing chores or watching tv, to get my steps in! My Fitbit shows that I regularly burn 3000k calories as a result.

For instance, yesterday. I walked 9.5 miles in the day and clocked 21k steps. Now, I'm not doing this for any particular reason aside from the fact that I absolutely love working out and the buzz it gives me. I don't want to stop unless it has an adverse impact on my health. I am finding though that I need to nap 45 min daily since starting this routine. Oh, and I am not new to exercise. I've been working out with weight and doing cardio 4x a week for the past 4 years.

I have very good stamina and can generally workout 70-90% of my max hr for an hour and have no problems with it whatsoever. I just wanted to know if the workout schedule above could be what is making me have cold symptoms and I should be taking it easy. I think I will have Sunday as my rest day though I will struggle with that as I am a major fidget since getting the Fitbit! I love to see how many steps I can clock and calories I can burn!

You are being physically active. You are not doing HIIT or any other form of intense workout. Which is not a problem or something to apologise about. Unless you have very specific goals, being overall active is probably even better for both health and weight loss purposes than doing specific intense exercise routines.
    You are not describing an intense training schedule that should leave you exhausted, especially since you say you were not a couch potato in the past. So, if you are feeling ill or unusually tired, either you need more sleep (like most parents do) or you might actually be getting a cold or it is time to talk to your dr, because it could be some deficiency, hormonal disorder or a million other things.
    I cannot imagine how these workouts give you a TDEE of 3000, but you do not mention your weight. Assuming an healthy weight for your height, say around 140-150, I cannot imagine your TDEE being above 2000.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Also, typo. During leisurely walks alone for an hour, my heart rate is at 80% of max. I am a fast walker. After the hiit with the girls in the stroller, I am exhausted and have no choice but to walk very slowly albeit pushing them around
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but how is this not hiit? If I walk as fast as I can for 40 seconds (90% of my max heart rate) and then let it slow all the way down for 2 mins. Repeat for 20 mins. I can't possibly do any more. This is high Intensity interval training, is it not?

Thanks to all the replies so far. Been very informative
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    And my kettlebell workouts are no walk in the park either. I'm pressing, lunging, squatting and swinging 16-20kg throughout it which is typical for many men. How is this not intense? Am I missing something here?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but how is this not hiit? If I walk as fast as I can for 40 seconds (90% of my max heart rate) and then let it slow all the way down for 2 mins. Repeat for 20 mins. I can't possibly do any more. This is high Intensity interval training, is it not?

Thanks to all the replies so far. Been very informative

Interval training is not the same as HIIT. Fast walking pushing a stroller is definitely not the high intensity part of HIIT, no matter how fast you are walking. Something being hard does not mean it is HIIT. And it does not really matter, does it? In anything other than your calorie counting.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    What determines the 'high' aspect of hiit, in that case? I thought it was going all out, can't possibly do anymore..heart rate very elevated....?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also, typo. During leisurely walks alone for an hour, my heart rate is at 80% of max.

That would suggest you have a health problem that should be checked out.

Walking at 4-5 mph my HR generally hovers between 50-55% of MHR.

How are you estimating your MHR?

High Intensity in HIIT is 95%MHR, assuming you have a reliable indicator of that maximum. As a comparator, I'm 45 and male, my MHR is 205-210BPM based on running tests. So for:
    • Easy paced training around 6mph - 140-150bpm
    • Threshold (or race pace for a 10K race) of cruise intervals - 170-180bpm
    • Sprint intervals - 198-202BPM

I'd also add that it's not clear how you're using a polar and Fitbit together. A Polar HRM will significantly overestimate calorie expenditure for walking, interval training and resistance training.

Your Fitbit is likely to underestimate when you're pushing the stroller, as it won't account for the weight of the stroller and the movmeent will be reduced as your hands are limited in their range of motion. That said the figures that you're citing don't seem credible, unless you yourself are around 350lbs. Given your location I'm assuming that you're walking around Hyde Park? In that case the slopes along the south and east boundaries are decent elevations, so it's worth doing that circuit.

But back to the original point, that exercise routine isn't what's causing you to feel fatigued and pick up a cold.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Good post from @MeanderingMammal

Would suggest getting a max HR test.
    Would also suggest not using a HRM for walking and Kettlebell workouts.

But as regards weight loss the results on your scales over time are your best indicators of correct calorie balance.

As regards colds - stay away from young children, they are nasty infectious little incubators! (Joking.)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What determines the 'high' aspect of hiit, in that case? I thought it was going all out, can't possibly do anymore..heart rate very elevated....?

Frankly, I generally agree with this definition of an arbitrary marketing term, but others do not and it is what it is

FYI, I tend to get the sniffles or outright congestion after some workouts. Do you have any lung issues at all? I suppose if you've been working out a lot for the past few years, you'd know if your body tends to react this way as well. If you're spending a lot more time outdoors with this new routine, it could also be allergies. I second mentioning something to your doctor the next time you see them. And if you want to take a break 1x per week, by all means do so. I only exercise 3x per week and that works just fine for me!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    American College of Sports Medicine pitches HIIT efforts at 80% not 95%.

https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/high-intensity-interval-training.pdf
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.

+1

I don't think your workout is overly strenuous at all.

Plus I agree about the 3000 but we need to know your stats

+2 DavPul and singingfluetelady
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.

+1

I don't think your workout is overly strenuous at all.

Plus I agree about the 3000 but we need to know your stats

+2 DavPul and singingfluetelady

+3 I will chime in and agree with this. Also, 40 - 60 minutes of exercise a day is not considered what I would call over training by any means.

Maybe the OP has gotten a cold or is trying to get a cold as her immune system could be compromised by other things (she is around small children everyday) and it is March, allergies, hay fever, pollen, changes in season.

I say keep doing it as along as feel you can, suck on some vitamin C, keep your hands washed and stay away from sneezing children, stay out of the pollen and cooler weather. Otherwise just wait the cold out, perhaps you will get rid of it faster by resting more instead of exercising more.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP - it sounds to me that you have a cold. Maybe eat a little more and if you feel tired take a break from the exercise. Certainly HIIT is not going to do you any favours if your cold progresses, but once you are over it you can/should get back to your exercise.

If you have a cold, don't fret over the scales - colds tend to mess up hydration and retained water causing the scales to go haywire for a few days.

All the debate on 3000 cal work outs is irrelevant since you've not posted to say you're not hitting your weight targets so, if you're attempting to lose and you've been doing just that with your current exercise and eating patterns then that is great - Once the cold is out of the way carry on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    American College of Sports Medicine pitches HIIT efforts at 80% not 95%.

https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/high-intensity-interval-training.pdf

Interesting phrasing in that article, it talks about 80-95% in work periods of 5 seconds to 8 minutes. To me those are completely different things. Sustaining a flat out sprint for 20 seconds is going to exceed 95%, whereas I can sustain 80% for more than an hour in a race.

Very different training effects with sustained 80% affecting lactate threshold performance and 95% affecting VO2Max. The former is of very limited value to anyone who doesn't race, the latter is quite a perishable improvement.