Will I burnout doing this?

Options

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    You are not over exercising. If you want to lose weight and are not, cut back on calories. Rely more on what your body is telling you about losing weight and calorie intake rather than your devices.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but how is this not hiit? If I walk as fast as I can for 40 seconds (90% of my max heart rate) and then let it slow all the way down for 2 mins. Repeat for 20 mins. I can't possibly do any more. This is high Intensity interval training, is it not?

Thanks to all the replies so far. Been very informative

It's not HIIT because it's not. There's a definition and this doesnt fit it. You're doing intervals ***and that's perfectly fine*** but not HIIT. Meandering Mammal covered this well so I'll defer to that post.

Also unlikely to reach 80% heart rate by walking. 650 calories is a number a lot of women would have strive to achieve in an hour of walking. But real talk, none of that even matters. If the scale is moving then keep doing what you're doing. Hyper accurate logging isn't necessary to make progress, just consistency.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    In terms of me not burning 3k calories, I'll give you a typical example. Yesterday, I walked 9.5 miles according to my Fitbit. 21k steps. That was during a brisk hour walk and then stepping all around the place

9.5 miles?

Sounds like 950 calories to me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In terms of me not burning 3k calories, I'll give you a typical example. Yesterday, I walked 9.5 miles according to my Fitbit. 21k steps. That was during a brisk hour walk and then stepping all around the place

9.5 miles?

Probably somewhat less than that, but the point above about losing is useful. It's still a significantly higher intake than I'm on so the originator is doing something right.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

9.5 miles?

Walked... so about 450-500

Plus it includes every day activity, so I'd suspect a little less than that as well.

OP, I get it, you're walking a ton, and it's super exciting what you're doing for your health. No one is saying what you're doing isn't good enough or good for you. I think what you're doing is great, but I have a feeling fitbit does overestimate a bit.

I'm 5'8", and I weight 197lbs (this weekend wasn't pretty). Yesterday I walked about 19000 steps, and fitbit tells me I burned just over 3000 calories. Yesterday I ate a little over 2600 calories (I got into the beer), and I know I'm going to have to make up for it over this week. I've come to realize that fitbit overestimates my burns, so I'm just not going to lose eating that much.

I would suggest eating a little lower than you would expect given your fitbit TDEE. Maybe 2200 calories. Log accurately, and weigh yourself somewhat consistently. After 4-6 weeks, see where your weight is at and adjust accordingly. If you lost weight faster than you expect/want to, eat a little more. If you're not losing as much as you think you should be, maybe it's even more off than you thought for your TDEE.

TDEE calculators, HRM, etc are all estimates of calorie burns. They use formulas based off of population averages. The only thing that is going to be accurate is logging as accurately as you can and adjusting based on your real life results.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

9.5 miles?

Yes, now add that into my bmr or 1400 and general daily activity. Can't see why 3000 calories is so hard to believe

• halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Thanks to all the replies that aren't d!ck meausuring, sorry, can't think of a more accurate term for what seems to be going on here with most replies. I'll have one day off as complete rest day if I can manage it and continue with what I'm doing and try to increase my calories a little and get more sleep. Thanks again to the helpful replies!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks to all the replies that aren't d!ck meausuring, sorry, can't think of a more accurate term for what seems to be going on here with most replies. I'll have one day off as complete rest day if I can manage it and continue with what I'm doing and try to increase my calories a little and get more sleep. Thanks again to the helpful replies!

You are extremely rude to people trying to help you.
    Makes me wonder if you wanted help to begin with, or expected people to admire your intense training and was disappointed when this was not the reaction you got.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    I will no longer be replying or commenting on this post. It's getting a little silly now. Off for a hiit workout lol. Peace out ✌
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    As far as I can gather what you are really asking is whether you have sufficient recovery ability to deal with your current volume of exercise. I suspect you do as it does not seem overly ambitious so it's unlikely you will find yourself in over training territory. You may be over reaching somewhat but I think your body will adapt quickly enough.

Re: HIIT if (and this is big if) you have a good idea of what your actual max HR is then the level of intensity in your intervals does strike me as being sufficient to qualify as it is in redline zone territory / exceeding anaerobic threshold. (It is nowhere near Tabata intensity however but I doubt that is what you are aiming to achieve anyway.)
  • msf74
    Options
    PS: your TDEE estimate is really the place that needs attention...
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily overtraining but as a beginner, why dont you slow it down and ease yourself in?

Why not introduce 2 rest days per week? (EG, wednesday and sunday)

Other than that, you really should listen to your body - when it tells you it is tired, REST.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Wow. Just wow.

I will no longer be replying or commenting on this post. It's getting a little silly now. Off for a hiit workout lol. Peace out ✌

jrxmm_s-200x150.gif
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Nah, it seems like you're just walking.
  • msf74
    Options

That's a pity as if you did stick around you would have discovered why your HIIT sessions are probably doing very little for you from a fitness perspective and weight loss perspective and why longer intervals may be your friend.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

That's a pity as if you did stick around you would have discovered why your HIIT sessions are probably doing very little for you from a fitness perspective and weight loss perspective and why longer intervals may be your friend.

I tried HIIT with weight lifting because "I hate cardio". I found I did much better in regards to weight loss by dropping those workouts and instead incorporation lower intensity intervals on the elliptical (about an hour).
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Debateable
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I tried HIIT with weight lifting because "I hate cardio". I found I did much better in regards to weight loss by dropping those workouts and instead incorporation lower intensity intervals on the elliptical (about an hour).

The originator has the advantage of being on the edge of Hyde Park, which is about 10km around, and really rather nice. The slope on the eastern edge of the park is quite a good one for hill repeats as it's moderately steep, the southern boundary where the Cavalry exercise their horses is a long, steady grind so quite good for the mental aspect of training.

I would say that it's generally pretty busy, although generally I've been there in the evenings when it's people training, rather than mothers and children, which is more during the day.

If nothing else it's quite a nice place to go for a pleasant walk, as well as running. It's a bit more limited for cycling.
  • msf74
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Which is what I suspect most people will find if they don't get sucked in by the nonsense which gets pumped out by the "fitness" industry.

HIIT is great for pushing up VO2 max but this presumes you have the level of current fitness to support enough effort in your worksets to achieve this benefit.

In addition, longer efforts generally rack up more calories burned (even factoring in EPOC) which is nice from the weight loss side of things.
  • msf74
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

Debateable

I'm willing to debate it.

What you got?