Greek Yogurt Thoughts???

Options
I know that greek yogurt is better than the old-fashioned stuff. But, my question is are all greek yogurts created equal? Is there particular kind or brand that I should be eating if my focus is weight loss? I typically buy the commercial stuff (i.e. Yoplait, Oikos, Fage, Chobani) and they all have different tastes (I think I like Fage the best, but Yoplait has less sugar and calories). All thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• tayloraboyd91
    Options
    Greek yogurt is definitely the best choice as far as yogurt goes! I am a huge yogurt fan and have usually have it every morning for breakfast with some sliced banana, strawberries/blueberries and almonds. It is best to buy the plain variety and add your own fruit to it because the ones with added fruits tend to be overloaded with sugar. If you need some sweetness, add a packet of Truvia or a bit of honey/agave. I used to be hooked on Light and Fit yogurt but once I switched to Greek, I ditched the artificial sweeteners and gained the benefit of extra protein!
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I love my Chobani. Guilt free snack anytime. My fridge is usually full of them!
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge fan of chobani, but decided to try the oikos ones since at the time they were cheaper than chobani for the individuals. I think oikos tastes better than chobani, personally, and really it's the same thing. Right now though I've been eating te dannon fit 80 cal Greek yogurts and I really like them also, although not as good as oikos (but close). I like to dip my strawberries in it and eat it like that or add some pb2 to the vanilla flavored ones. They're definitely my new favorite at the moment, and cheaper than the other Greek yogurts (with 12g protein each!)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The Fage blueberry acai is my favorite. I'm not really a yogurt person, but I prefer it to Chobani.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon Light & Fit Greek ....strawberry and cherry are both very tasty! And only 80 calories per cup.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I like fat free chobani because it's only milk & acidophilus - none of the other fillers, like gelatin, carrageenan, etc. Plain with a little fruit like berries or peaches & a drop of vanilla extract, no sweetener needed.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like the frozen Yoplait Greek Yogurt! It makes me feel like I'm eating ice cream!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like them all, but prefer my own!! I make it plain, but add fruit or agave to sweeten it up!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best and purest. I brought home a store brand and could not believe all they put in it to equal one cup of Fage.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life ! Make your own favors by pouring regular yogurt into a super fine strainer and draining off enough whey until you have the consistency you want...
  • teddyjazzy
    teddyjazzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Oikos. Not a fan of Astro.
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    I love the Fage plain nonfat Greek yogurt. I can eat this one without added sweetener and with some fruit or use it in place of sour cream on tacos and the like. :) I prefer this brand because the consistency seems smoother.
  • BrianDCarlson
    Options
    I've really been enjoying using the plain as a substitute for sour cream or mayonnaise. I know it's not the same but I've been fooling myself. Mixing it with tuna for sandwiches, and have a little of it and salsa on some tortilla chips.

I'll have to try the plain mixed with fresh fruit over the mixed in fruit variety. Good call on the sugars.
  • Tasha_Fat2Fit
    Options
    I eat Zoi brand Honey greek yogurt every morning - it has the best taste! A little higher on the calorie side but usually that is my breakfast along with some granola.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I stick with Choibani or Fage plain, and add my own extras.

Just check the ingredients, it should just be: Grade A Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures. Some brands add thickeners instead.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Plain & full fat.

I also loooooove Greek Gods vanilla.
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I don't really like the taste of any greek yogurt plain, unless I'm using it as sour cream. But I use Fage nonfat plain yogurt, add stevia and unsweetened cocoa and I love it:)
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is definitely the best choice as far as yogurt goes! I am a huge yogurt fan and have usually have it every morning for breakfast with some sliced banana, strawberries/blueberries and almonds. It is best to buy the plain variety and add your own fruit to it because the ones with added fruits tend to be overloaded with sugar. If you need some sweetness, add a packet of Truvia or a bit of honey/agave. I used to be hooked on Light and Fit yogurt but once I switched to Greek, I ditched the artificial sweeteners and gained the benefit of extra protein!

Me tooooooo!!! I eat Fage almost every morning. Today I had it as a mid-morning snack with some cucumbers. I like that it doubles as sour cream. :smile:
  • nlespier
    nlespier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Greek yogurt and have it almost every morning for breakfast. I always get the Private Selection from Fry's/Kroger's. It has the fruit or honey topping on the side so you can add as much or as little as you want. The Amber Honey is my favorite.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Chobani.

Don't know if this has already been said since I didn't read all posts but be VERY wary when trying brands of greek yogurt nowadays. It's gotten popular enough that almost every company is on the "greek yogurt" bandwagon and marketing stuff that seriously is not greek yogurt. I tried Healthy Choices new "Greek" yogurts - to give you an idea they are sold in the frozen foods isle because they are meant to be eaten frozen like frozen yogurt. Don't get me wrong they are super delish, but if you read the label, they don't have anywhere near the protein that I would consider for eating in place of quality greek yogurt. I've also noticed many of the Yoplait and other more traditionally regular yogurt brands are the same with their new so-called greek yogurts. Sure maybe they do strain it and all, but to me it's just not the same. The whole point of greek yogurt is the tanginess along with higher protein content.

Fage and Chobani I believe are some of the better classic brands. I usually only bother if it has 15g+ of protein for a serving.