Greek Yogurt Thoughts???

Options

Replies

• alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I go organic all the way, since non-organic can have Bovine Growth Hormone/BGH and GMO crap that can mess with my body, which is the last thing I need! Stonyfield has a nice one, 0% and some other low-fat options--
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Big Fage fan and I add my own into the plain. Greek Gods Honey Vanilla is pretty good, that is what my kid eats and he'd eat that stuff by the quart if I let him. I don't buy individual packages of either because we eat too much. I'd go broke.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to things like grams sugar and sodium and things like that. I'm so-so with Chobani, I love Oikos, but I'm a much, much bigger fan of skyr yogurt! I love Skir.Is but I also like Siggi's. :)
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I used to be a huge fan of chobani, but decided to try the oikos ones since at the time they were cheaper than chobani for the individuals. I think oikos tastes better than chobani, personally, and really it's the same thing. Right now though I've been eating te dannon fit 80 cal Greek yogurts and I really like them also, although not as good as oikos (but close). I like to dip my strawberries in it and eat it like that or add some pb2 to the vanilla flavored ones. They're definitely my new favorite at the moment, and cheaper than the other Greek yogurts (with 12g protein each!)

What's pb2? Is that like a protein supplement?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Real Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt strained, hence thicker and more protein. Some of the Greek yogurts on the market now, however, use thickening agents and really are pretty much just the same thing as regular yogurt. Fage is legit. I can't remember which others. Usually if it's cheaper, there's a reason.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Chobani. Fat free. Costco has 'em.
  • eep223
    Options
    The Greek Gods and Oikos are also real Greek yogurt. I'm pretty sure Chobani is not strained.
  • eep223
    Options
    The Greek Gods and Oikos are also real Greek yogurt. I'm pretty sure Chobani is not strained.

By bad. Chobani looks okay. Anyway, make sure you are reading the ingredients: http://nutritionella.com/2012/10/greek-yogurt-whats-real/
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oikos is my go to brand. Love it!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt isn't necessarily better. It has more protein and less calcium than regular yogurt. If you are looking for more protein, it fits the bill.

Fage is my favorite. Costco has it.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Best and only advice on Greek yogurt is go for fat free and plain everything else I thing is really a matter of taste and texture (give or take a few grams of protein.) One trick I flavor is to use crystal light or even better liquid sugar free drink flavor-ers like Mio to give it taste without adding carbs or sugar!

* I personally like Kirkland brand (Costco) for the price (duh!) and 24 protein for 1 cups, it's the highest I have found so far.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I like fat free chobani because it's only milk & acidophilus - none of the other fillers, like gelatin, carrageenan, etc. Plain with a little fruit like berries or peaches & a drop of vanilla extract, no sweetener needed.

^^^ This. 0% Chobani with fruit. I use frozen mixed fruit with a few dried cranberries and some walnuts.
  • dandaoust99
    Options
    watch out for Chobani Oikos etc. Loaded with sugar. Eat plain or try siggi's which have great flavors with much less nasty sugar added.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Gods for me. None of that low-fat crap.
  • dandaoust99
    Options
    If you're looking for weight loss, best option is Plain, but if you want flavors you should look to one of the (terrible tasting) light brands, or look for a one that is lower in sugar than commercial brands like Chobani and Fage. siggi's is focused on letting the yogurt and fruit deliver without all the added sugar and is widely available.
  • dandaoust99
    Options
    Greek Gods is fake Greek.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I LOVE The Greek Gods, Plain.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon Light & Fit Greek ....strawberry and cherry are both very tasty! And only 80 calories per cup.

This is my favorite too! Plus they are now coming out with new ones that are orange creamsicle, key lime pie, banana cream pie and some coconut one. They are awesome!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Greek Gods is fake Greek.

It's the thickest and best tasting to me out of all the brands I've had. *shrug* If it's fake Greek, than that's okay with me. :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You should eat the yogurt that you like, in quantities that fit your calorie and nutrient goals.