• jessica7571
    jessica7571 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Y
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You look great!
    And I'm sorry; I lost all of 23 lbs and have still gotten the "You're too skinny," etc. comments.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't equate 'I hope he isn't sick' with an 'inability to be happy for others' though - perhaps they just genuinely ( albeit misguidedly) hoped you weren't sick.
  • jessica7571
    jessica7571 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You look very healthy and in great shape! Great job! You definitely don't look sick. The people around you that are saying you've been loosing too much weight and/or making those comments that they think you look sick..... Here's the reality-they are JEALOUS Negative people. They are the type of people that won't make the sacrifices and hard work you did with a total lifestyle change. People notice when you go from unhealthy to healthy and strong and the ones that can't compliment you are insecure. They know they would never suck it up to do what you did and because of how they feel about fitness and dieting and healthy choices they rather knock you down than deal with themselves and how they are unhappy with themselves in that area. Some people are just plain weak mentally and emotionally and those are always the ones talking badly about someone else's achievements. I know it may hurt but try to brush off their comments. They really mean nothing. If they were your friends they would be happy for you not jealous and petty.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Or they may be genuinely concerned - weight loss IS a symptom of many illnesses.

Not deliberate planned weight loss like OP did - but not everyone will know background of that.
  • karebare180
    karebare180 Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't listen to other people's negativity, they are not happy for you because you achieved what they couldn't, be proud of that. Also remember we live in a society where overweight people is the norm, and if you don't look like the rest then you are considered not the norm.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Or they may be genuinely concerned - weight loss IS a symptom of many illnesses.

Not deliberate planned weight loss like OP did - but not everyone will know background of that.

People who are genuinely concerned don't tend to make comments behind your back (or at least they shouldn't).

People have a skewed view of what healthy looks like these days. It might also be the baggy work clothes making you look underweight too.

As long as you're happy and healthy then don't listen to what other people think. The comments are most likely a reflection on themselves anyway. I find that it's the people who are unhappy with their own situation but are unable (or just unwilling) to change who always feel the need to bring others down. Especially those who are doing what they can't or won't do
  • Naturelovingmonkey
    Naturelovingmonkey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastic!
    Haters gonna hate. Just let them be jealous!
    Invited to workouts is a great way to team build!
    Good for you!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through, I heard today "You cannot lose any more weight", I believe it is also some folks feeling a bit guilty about there own weight. You look great and you should be an inspiration to all
    the folks in your life, you are to us here. Keep it up!

David

Yes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Eh, my stance always is and will be that if people have a problem with my physique that they don't like, it's their problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Fattonz wrote: »
    Lol...It's ok Gisel, I was just kidding. I think you both have a good point here though. My work clothes are now so big that I swim in them...lol. I have a job that requires I wear fire retardant coveralls....so I am definitely well hidden under all that clothing. Might have to wait for a training day, or team meeting for that tight shirt option :)

The loose clothing most likely is the source of the 'too skinny' comments, in that case! If your coveralls look huge on you, you probably look thinner than you really are in comparison. Is it possible for you to get better fitting ones? :smile:

Also, I agree with the posters who mentioned that many people don't know what 'healthy' looks like any more. We're so used to seeing overweight people everywhere that ones who are a healthy weight seem too skinny!
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I think you did marvelous!! Some people are just dumb, a lot of people have difficulty with compliments. Don't listen to them and don't let them get you down.

This. There will always be haters, no matter what you do. "I hope he isn't sick" might secretly mean "I wish I could do that".

You look great!! Keep doing what you do!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS! That much progress in only 10-months? You are an inspiration. Ignore the haters. There will be haters whether you are obese, fit, skinny fat, or underweight. There is no way that everyone will be happy for you. People are constantly telling me to "eat more" or "you go to the gym too much," but you know your body's limits and the goals you want to reach. Focus on that. Only that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You look great! Don't let people's jealous comments get you down. I had a boyfriend who didn't like it when I lost the first ten pounds of the 20 pounds I eventually lost, but most of the response in my life has been overwhelmingly positive.
  • simontossrwanda
    simontossrwanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If those people have a problem with your weight loss, then THEY have the problem. Not you. (they may be jealous). What they say should have no bearing on your life. Just ignore them and keep going. You have lost a fair bit of weight, so if they are only used to you being larger then they may need time to adjust to the new you. Either way let them carry on, and you just enjoy being yourself.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I think you're just showing off ;) But you're perfectly entitled to, great progress. I get those comments a lot as well, usually from people who are more used to a less than great diet who seem to think how they eat is normal and don't understand why someone else wouldn't want to do what they do. So I'll guess that's where comments like that come from. People don't want to accept that they could improve, so try and make out that someone who has improved has something wrong with them. Anyway, just don't bother paying attention and keep showing off.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that they are jealous terrible people. I get a lot of this from my coworkers who like to say i'm wasting away and do I even eat, etc. They don't mean to be insulting or to make me uncomfortable. I genuinely think they are trying to encourage me or celebrate my success although their comments do make me uncomfortable and sometimes angry.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you look sick, you look like you're in good shape now! I do know that wearing loose clothes can make you look sick, like maybe you lost a lot of weight all at once, depending on how baggy said clothes are. That could be one reason for the comments. It could also be that people are feeling insecure about their own bodies and trying to make themselves feel better. Not really anything you can do about that, though. About all you can do is keep going as you are and ignore the bitter comments.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great job! Some people are susceptible to a disability known as hatervision, and because of this can't be happy for the people around them. I generally just feel sorry for them as there is no known cure.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    First off you look amazing; your progress is seriously impressive! As far as the "you're too skinny" or "you look sick" comments, i've come to the conclusion that it is a lack of knowledge of health and fitness more than anything that generates these comments. People aren't used to seeing visibly "fit" people. Look around your office, the supermarket, probably your family and friends....most people we are surrounded by are overweight (at least in America) so when people do see someone thin or visibly fit they assume it's for a reason other than hard work. You just can't win with some people; in regular clothes I hear i'm too thin and when I'm working out in a sports bra and tights I hear my abs and traps make me look "manly." As long you're happy and working hard to make the body you want I wouldn't even give those comments a thought. We see those gains OP! ha-ha :)