20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    I just found this thread. I've heard of the 20 rep squat prgram and thought it looked interesting so I'll be following along keenly. Going to check out the videos tonight. Keep it up, man. Good luck.

@jams009 I've been tracking it the whole way and videos for the last 6 weeks. Any comments, critiques, or questions welcomed. Glad to have ya.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    YO- finally watched- these look nice and tight. BUT DUDE THE BELT.!!! How did I EFFING MISS THE FACT YOU ARE WEARING A BELT.
    Take that *kitten* off!!!! LOL_ that's half the point of this program!!!!

I'm laughing though at you sucking wind- you can see in my videos too- just massive amounts of breathing LOL- you are NOT alone on that one!!!
    It's so weird- huffing and puffing- my legs start shaking and the sweat is rolling down my back and arms- and I'm like WTF_ I"M ONLY SQUATTING!
    Thanks for keeping up and commenting though, it's nice to know someone else is out there LOL
    No problem dude- I get funny *kitten* looks all the time at my gym when I run it- and people really question my sanity more than usual- so its' nice to have someone to relate to- plus- for me- I've never known anyone whose done the program in any sort of real life (in person or on line)- so it's nice to see someone else's work.
    Not allowed to use the belt!?!?! How did I miss that when I was researching the program!!! At this point, I don't think I'm taking it off...too close to the end and I'm just staying consistent with what I've been doing...sorry to disappoint LOL

Yes to the breathing though...can't get enough air. I have a guy here at work that used to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder back in the day and so I've been talking to him some about it. He's never done this 20rep program where you're squatting 3x a week and adding 5lbs every time, but he's done other 20 rep programs before. He was asking if I was taking long extended breaks once I get up past 15. I think the main reason I don't is that because by that time, I'm SOO close to the end of the 20 reps that I just want to get that f@#$ing bar off my back so bad, I just take a couple breathes and force myself down again LOL The breaks I take after every 5 reps are just enough to keep me from blacking out from lack of oxygen and to make sure I don't lose count (because I think I can only count to 5 with that much weight on my back LOL)

HA- yeah- it's supposed to be done beltless LMAO. I would agree about probably leaving the belt on at this point. I"m sorry I totally missed that and didn't mentioned it sooner- you're earlier videos I don't think you had it.

Yeah- I agree with the "just get it done"aspect- there is definitely a point where you realize standing there you are wasting energy just standing and you might as well get on with it. about 15 you're like- EF- 5 more- go- do one.
    Then it's all down here from there. Just plow on and do the thing.

I definitely count in 5's and it's a chore to get to 20. I'm so with you on that one LOL
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    I just found this thread. I've heard of the 20 rep squat prgram and thought it looked interesting so I'll be following along keenly. Going to check out the videos tonight. Keep it up, man. Good luck.

bonus for ATGATT. I see you!

Literally, lol.
  • McCloud33
    Options

HA- yeah- it's supposed to be done beltless LMAO. I would agree about probably leaving the belt on at this point. I"m sorry I totally missed that and didn't mentioned it sooner- you're earlier videos I don't think you had it.

Yeah- I agree with the "just get it done"aspect- there is definitely a point where you realize standing there you are wasting energy just standing and you might as well get on with it. about 15 you're like- EF- 5 more- go- do one.
    Then it's all down here from there. Just plow on and do the thing.

I definitely count in 5's and it's a chore to get to 20. I'm so with you on that one LOL

I wasn't using the belt when I was doing that "interim" program mainly because it was SUPER light and I knew I didn't need it. I used the belt for everything on the actual program (185lb to now). Oh well. Next time I'll do it the "right" way. LOL And yes, as hard as it is, I'm definitely doing it again. At least once a year I think. This is going to change what I can do for 5/3/1 AMRAP on the last set though :o

• McCloud33
    Options
    Day 15 of 18

Squat: 265x20
    pullover: 25x20
    OHP: 135 5,5,5,5,3
    DL: 375x4

So I ate like an absolute pig last night at dinner and my thought process was, "there's no way I'm going into these last few squat sessions underfed". Well, it must've worked because this mornings felt considerably easier than Wednesday even though it was an additional 5lbs. 265x20...it's still a little mind boggling when I think about it and consider where I was just a couple months ago. I honestly think I could have done 275+ this morning.

OHP seemed sooo close. I went into the final set having done all 5 on the other 4, but that 4th rep just wasn't going up. 135 has consistently been the limit for me on this lift over the past 1.5+ years.

Deadlift felt ok...could have just been the cumulative toll on my legs after the 20 rep program, but the last rep just wasn't going and I just didn't have the will to push it either.

Next week will be my last one finishing up this program. I'm really debating if I want to try something crazy (please talk me out of this @jorocka). I'm thinking of either going for 275 on Monday, jumping 10lbs instead of 5, but I'd have an extra day this weekend, and then go again Thursday (again with an extra day rest) and either go for 300 AMRAP or (and this is where I'm leaning) put 225 up there and do AMRAP. Based on the 5/3/1 calculator, I should be able to get 30+ at 225 or 15-16 at 300.

I'll put it up to a vote LOL let me know what you'd like to see...225 AMRAP, 300 AMRAP or stick with the program and go for 280x20

https://youtu.be/TzM2ubK67G8
    https://youtu.be/812FhcLw-Vg
    https://youtu.be/yOxj3cA3WRk
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Day 15 of 18

So I ate like an absolute pig last night at dinner and my thought process was, "there's no way I'm going into these last few squat sessions underfed". Well, it must've worked because this mornings felt considerably easier than Wednesday even though it was an additional 5lbs. 265x20...it's still a little mind boggling when I think about it and consider where I was just a couple months ago. I honestly think I could have done 275+ this morning.

OHP seemed sooo close. I went into the final set having done all 5 on the other 4, but that 4th rep just wasn't going up. 135 has consistently been the limit for me on this lift over the past 1.5+ years.

Deadlift felt ok...could have just been the cumulative toll on my legs after the 20 rep program, but the last rep just wasn't going and I just didn't have the will to push it either.

Next week will be my last one finishing up this program. I'm really debating if I want to try something crazy (please talk me out of this @jorocka). I'm thinking of either going for 275 on Monday, jumping 10lbs instead of 5, but I'd have an extra day this weekend, and then go again Thursday (again with an extra day rest) and either go for 300 AMRAP or (and this is where I'm leaning) put 225 up there and do AMRAP. Based on the 5/3/1 calculator, I should be able to get 30+ at 225 or 15-16 at 300.

I'll put it up to a vote LOL let me know what you'd like to see...225 AMRAP, 300 AMRAP or stick with the program and go for 280x20

I vote for 300x20! How do you deadlift with gloves on? Don't they make the bar harder to grip? Do they match your purse???
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm here and keeping up with you, too! :smiley: I've appreciated your documenting this and have enjoyed your videos and the ongoing discussion surrounding your challenge. I can see myself attempting this challenge sometime in the future.

Question: It seems that the biggest challenge might be pushing through mentally...is this a fair assumption? I'm no where near your or others' level in regards to the amount of weight being lifted (my last squat was 100 lbs 5x5). I've been lifting since November, but my squats haven't progressed all that much due to some inconsistency on my part and the unavailability of squat racks when I go to the gym. That being said, what's a good starting point for someone like me? Should I jump right in at 20 reps of a percentage of my max? Should I build up to 20 reps with a lighter weight? I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions...

I'll be frank with you. This is not the program for you. it's for more advanced lifters- and you have to really want it.

You're stalled because you aren't working- I think you should re do something like starting strength or strong lifts and really work on your form and your base. This program will 100% tax you're form- and if you're only squatting 100 pounds- I can promise you- you're form isn't there yet. You may know what it needs to be- but you don't have enough time under the bar for your body to do what it needs to do under a load when your brain stops thinking.

A solid THUMBS DOWN and a huge NO from me on this.

Being said- yes- this program is very mentally challenging. It's physically demanding- but the mental is a bigger issue IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback @JoRocka and you, too, @McCloud33 . I'm not all that new to lifting. I used to do a 5/3/1 program a couple years ago, but hurt my knee and also had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so I had to stop. I started lifting regularly again back in November, and while some days were hit or miss with the racks and other days I was only able to squat once a week due to my schedule, I started slowly, worked on my form, and gradually added a little bit of weight at a time while taking my time working through my reps and sets (sometimes even repeating them the next session). So, while the weight is considered light by some standards, it's where I've carefully worked up to. When I can't get a rack, I focus on drop set leg presses and/or high rep bodyweight squats. My deadlifts are up from my 1RM @ 220, to 5RM @220. My bench and OHP suck royally (currently 5x5 @ 80) and I can stall for weeks and not get my full sets on the next 5 pounds...maybe 1x5 @85 or 2x5 @85 and the rest of the sets @ 80 or even 75. Anyway, I'm not looking to start this right away...perhaps later in the summer or mid-fall. I do want to make sure I can squat consistently, and on the days that I'm supposed to, so I will likely have to adjust the time I go to the gym even though it might mean getting there before the roosters crow. I really am ok with going slow. I'm just so intrigued by this program and am always looking for ways to challenge myself physically and mentally and get stronger.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I vote for 300x20! How do you deadlift with gloves on? Don't they make the bar harder to grip? Do they match your purse???

You sound like my brother...he likes to send me this picture often

eemgyn81pfq0.jpg

yes, it does make it a "little" harder to grip and if I really want to go for a 1RM or something I've taken them off, but I've tried all of the recommended hand positions with the bar, placing on the upper part of the hand instead of in the middle so the bar doesn't roll the skin up... I just kept ripping calluses and my hands to pieces and my wife wasn't too pleased. Still get the calluses with the gloves, but they don't rip my hands to pieces...and, happy wife, happy life :)

I'll put you down for a 300 AMRAP ;)
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

eemgyn81pfq0.jpg

yes, it does make it a "little" harder to grip and if I really want to go for a 1RM or something I've taken them off, but I've tried all of the recommended hand positions with the bar, placing on the upper part of the hand instead of in the middle so the bar doesn't roll the skin up... I just kept ripping calluses and my hands to pieces and my wife wasn't too pleased. Still get the calluses with the gloves, but they don't rip my hands to pieces...and, happy wife, happy life :)

Have you tried chalk? I've never tried gloves, but chalk makes a huge difference on my deadlift grip ability. The bars at my gym have pretty smooth knurling so anything above 405 without chalk gets really hard for me grip wise, especially if I'm lifting higher reps.
  • McCloud33
    Options

eemgyn81pfq0.jpg

Have you tried chalk? I've never tried gloves, but chalk makes a huge difference on my deadlift grip ability. The bars at my gym have pretty smooth knurling so anything above 405 without chalk gets really hard for me grip wise, especially if I'm lifting higher reps.

I haven't tried chalk. It's "strongly discouraged" at my gym, but I've seen left over chalk on bars, so I know some ppl use it. At this point, my grip has basically kept pace with my lifts so it's more my leg/back muscles that are the limiting factor, not grip if that makes sense.
  • JoRocka
    Options

eemgyn81pfq0.jpg

I haven't tried chalk. It's "strongly discouraged" at my gym, but I've seen left over chalk on bars, so I know some ppl use it. At this point, my grip has basically kept pace with my lifts so it's more my leg/back muscles that are the limiting factor, not grip if that makes sense.

try liquid chalk- it's way less messy.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Day 15 of 18

That happened for me to- I think 185- felt awful and 190 felt GREAT! I was like WTF- I think it's a food/mental issue- and it just goes like that.

LOL- I am a firm believer of "if you're doing to the program- do the program" there is a reason it was written that way- so I'm almost always going to say- do the program the way it was written before you change it.

I agree with the "probably once a year" it's awesome for the "bump the 5 rep max up" it's a nice "palette cleansor" for training- and really helps up the base level of strength.

It sucks- it really does- but I think it's an awesome program to do while you're bulking.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm here and keeping up with you, too! :smiley: I've appreciated your documenting this and have enjoyed your videos and the ongoing discussion surrounding your challenge. I can see myself attempting this challenge sometime in the future.

Question: It seems that the biggest challenge might be pushing through mentally...is this a fair assumption? I'm no where near your or others' level in regards to the amount of weight being lifted (my last squat was 100 lbs 5x5). I've been lifting since November, but my squats haven't progressed all that much due to some inconsistency on my part and the unavailability of squat racks when I go to the gym. That being said, what's a good starting point for someone like me? Should I jump right in at 20 reps of a percentage of my max? Should I build up to 20 reps with a lighter weight? I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions...

I'll be frank with you. This is not the program for you. it's for more advanced lifters- and you have to really want it.

You're stalled because you aren't working- I think you should re do something like starting strength or strong lifts and really work on your form and your base. This program will 100% tax you're form- and if you're only squatting 100 pounds- I can promise you- you're form isn't there yet. You may know what it needs to be- but you don't have enough time under the bar for your body to do what it needs to do under a load when your brain stops thinking.

A solid THUMBS DOWN and a huge NO from me on this.

Being said- yes- this program is very mentally challenging. It's physically demanding- but the mental is a bigger issue IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback @JoRocka and you, too, @McCloud33 . I'm not all that new to lifting. I used to do a 5/3/1 program a couple years ago, but hurt my knee and also had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so I had to stop. I started lifting regularly again back in November, and while some days were hit or miss with the racks and other days I was only able to squat once a week due to my schedule, I started slowly, worked on my form, and gradually added a little bit of weight at a time while taking my time working through my reps and sets (sometimes even repeating them the next session). So, while the weight is considered light by some standards, it's where I've carefully worked up to. When I can't get a rack, I focus on drop set leg presses and/or high rep bodyweight squats. My deadlifts are up from my 1RM @ 220, to 5RM @220. My bench and OHP suck royally (currently 5x5 @ 80) and I can stall for weeks and not get my full sets on the next 5 pounds...maybe 1x5 @85 or 2x5 @85 and the rest of the sets @ 80 or even 75. Anyway, I'm not looking to start this right away...perhaps later in the summer or mid-fall. I do want to make sure I can squat consistently, and on the days that I'm supposed to, so I will likely have to adjust the time I go to the gym even though it might mean getting there before the roosters crow. I really am ok with going slow. I'm just so intrigued by this program and am always looking for ways to challenge myself physically and mentally and get stronger.

I'd run a solid 4-6 months of programming and get consistent before switching to 20 rep. Definitely better knowing you've got more experience under your belt- but I'd get consistent with the lifts and then switch over. It's just going to be better I think for you and you'll get more out of it.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    That happened for me to- I think 185- felt awful and 190 felt GREAT! I was like WTF- I think it's a food/mental issue- and it just goes like that.

LOL- I am a firm believer of "if you're doing to the program- do the program" there is a reason it was written that way- so I'm almost always going to say- do the program the way it was written before you change it.

I agree with the "probably once a year" it's awesome for the "bump the 5 rep max up" it's a nice "palette cleansor" for training- and really helps up the base level of strength.

It sucks- it really does- but I think it's an awesome program to do while you're bulking.
    It was really weird how different they felt between Wed and today. I was dreading this morning since about noon yesterday LOL but once I got under the bar and got about 5-7 in, I knew it wasn't going to be a problem.

I agree with you, and I have "done the program" the way it was written. It says you can either ad 5lbs or 10lbs and it also says that you could do it either twice a week or three times a week, so I really don't think I'm straying from the program. Like I've said, my ultimate goal was to get to 275x20...if I get there, then I consider the program complete and successful. So "technically" the lift on Thursday would be the first workout AFTER the 20rep program LOL

I know you disagree though so I'll put you down as a vote for 280x20 LOL

So far it's 1 vote for 225, 1 for 300 and 1 for 280...hopefully more people are reading this than 3 ROFL!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    I'd run a solid 4-6 months of programming and get consistent before switching to 20 rep. Definitely better knowing you've got more experience under your belt- but I'd get consistent with the lifts and then switch over. It's just going to be better I think for you and you'll get more out of it.

Thanks a bunch! Sounds like a plan! Maybe I'll start in mid-November and take advantage of all the extra holiday calories :p Until then, I'll work on consistency. Plus I'll be better able to determine a lifting schedule once I figure out my Fall class schedule.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Day 15 of 18

Stick with the program because if you do anything less than 300x20 on your AMRAP would will always be left wondering if you could have done it.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    I say stick with the program. You can always do the other attempts later.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Last Week!!!! First workout

squat: 275x20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bench: 195 5x5
    weighted pull-up: 50 3x5
    BW pull-up: 10, 7

I did it! I reached my goal...275x20 and with something left in the tank as well. I'm going to do one more workout this week on Thursday, and based on the response I've gotten, I guess I'm just going to go up by the 5-10lbs as the program says...I'm leaning toward 10lbs so that would give me a 285lb squat.

Bench was still tough but felt better overall...able to hit my 195 for 5x5

pull-ups were good too. 3x5 with the weighted and then a set of 10 and set of 7 to finish out.

I'll wait until my last workout to do a whole recap/lessons learned etc, but I just have to say that I am so ecstatic that I actually got to 275x20! I had serious doubts when I started and now I kind of want to know just how far I could take this, but I have other goals for this summer as well, so this is the end.

https://youtu.be/FtusFv--zkY
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    Congratulations! That's really awesome!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Congratulations! That's really awesome!

Thanks so much for following! :)