20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have done it a couple times. Got a lot of hypertrophy both times. I also lifted heavy in between the cycles, and doing the 20 rep program has helped my connective tissue catch up by taking a break from heaving lifting but still staying in the groove. I usually did it at Crossfit, so I had a person spotting me who was counting. I got up to 200#x20 high bar the first week in January of this year. That session took about 2 1/2 minutes, although I have seen some people take 3 or 4 minutes for their last set of the program. Lots of breathing in between. I did it for about 6 weeks, didn't actually fail but had to transition into a peaking program for a meet so ended before the cruddiest sessions. I would do it every year or two, but it's pretty mentally and emotionally taxing at the end.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Day 3/End Week 1

Squat 155#x20 (next week will be 160)
    pullover 25#x20
    IBP 140# 5x5
    Weighted pullups 30# 5x5

Consciously breaking the set into groups of 5 helped, so thanks for that bit of advice guys. I also started a quick 3-4 min stretch session before my squat that I think I'll keep up at least for the duration of this program. I have a short 5k obstacle course tomorrow, so that should be fun. Nothing big, just a hometown, mom and pop run.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @kelly_e_montana that's awesome getting to 200#! I'm preparing for it to get a lot more taxing as I progress through...especially starting the fist part of May when I start the actual program. I'm just prepping for that and training for my race right now.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued @McCloud33. Last year -- on a whim -- I purchased Strossen's book "Super Squats" trumpeting a 20 squat program and a gallon of milk. I didn't finish the book because I found it to be to self-referential and ancedotaly supported to run the program.

Anyway, I will be following along.

I'll take some body measurements tonight, and maybe update those every couple of weeks. The other claim of the program is SIZE. I'm planning on being in a surplus once I really start, but by no means am I going to do GOMAD. I'll probably do a couple scoops of protein drink with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water in the morning, but that's probably all of the milk I'll be drinking. I do eat a lot of cheese and yogurt already though, so we'll see.

Ripptoe is watching...

tumblr_nldt7gl2jZ1tk8kc7o1_540.jpg

• McCloud33
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Ripptoe is watching...

tumblr_nldt7gl2jZ1tk8kc7o1_540.jpg

:D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just watched your video- so from that angle- you might have to adjust depth- it looks like you have the same kind of buttwink issue I have- which isn't a crisis- except as it gets SUPER heavy- when you get down in the hole I found I got stuck a lot more frequently and started cheating my squats instead of knowing when to stop because I couldn't recover with the butt wink issue.

YMMV- but just keep in mind that it may need tinkering.

also- definitely don't fuss your feet/stance- I do that occasionally (I didn't see you do it- just thinking of things that have impacted me)- I tend to want to readjust to find a better drive- and it totally kills my lift- it wastes SO much energy.

Get into a power cage or squat rack. just saying LOL
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,302 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any 20-rep "program", but from time to time I'll do a 20-rep finisher at the end of a good squat session, putting on half the day's working weight and banging out the reps.

I got my 20RM up to 315 last summer on a 475 1RM, so about 66% of 1RM. I couldn't do four sets of five; it was more like two sets of five, then three sets of two, then four singles.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @nossmf 315x20 is sick...although if it goes well, I should get to 275

@JoRocka thanks for all the advice. I'll have to try and get a better angle on the squat bc when it's on the floor like that, it looks like I don't break parallel. I'll def be in the track when I start the full program! It's still light enough that I can manage without for now.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Yesterday went well with my 5k obstacle course. First in the 30-35 age range and second overall. Only got beat by a HS kid who passed me in the last .5 mile. Averaged less than a 7:30 min mile including the obstacles.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I feel like it's acceptable to be beat by a high school kid lol

Glad you're done with your run!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I feel like it's acceptable to be beat by a high school kid lol

Glad you're done with your run!

Well, not completely done...this was just a warm up for my big race at the end of April...13-15 mile obstacle course!
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like this program. I followed it last year and it was brutal. Kept it up for 6 weeks following the routine and drinking 3-4 litres of milk per day. My strength increased loads and i put on around 6kg, mainly fat though. Took a while to get rid of the excess fat but found my strength stayed.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @Kr15by did you find strength increase all the way around, or was it mostly focused in your legs/squat muscles? The place I really want hypertrophy is in my upper body (chest/arms/back).
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Start of Week2
    Day 4

Squat 160#x20 (video)https://youtu.be/OBPUY5g4HNs
    OHP 100# 5x5
    DL 285#x5, 335#x1, 385#x1(pretty darn close to my 1RM right now)https://youtu.be/fEhEqiR6x50

and for fun, the pegboard wall https://youtu.be/tw6dk1FcDxs
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You'll appreciate this lol

• Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    @Kr15by did you find strength increase all the way around, or was it mostly focused in your legs/squat muscles? The place I really want hypertrophy is in my upper body (chest/arms/back).

Strength increased everywhere. If anything i gained more on the bench than the other lifts
  • McCloud33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You'll appreciate this lol

Not looking forward to failing a lift. I know it's inevitable with this program, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. How much is that though? Looks like 45,25,10,5? 215? Or is that a 5 & 2.5 for 200? What rep was this?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    That's 200 pounds. Which I entered as my 5 rep max- so technically this is the end of my program.
    That was rep 13 and 14- so failure on 14- I think. I haven't watched the whole video yet.

I'll make my last attempt on Thursday. I might actually wait till Saturday to do it when I can eat a little more food-i have weigh in on Friday- I don't see a point to starving myself into a big lift like that. I can carb up a little Friday night and Saturday morning in advance and not set myself back to far. We'll see how I feel on Thursday.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    That's still awesome progress! Didn't you say the last time you ran it, you maxed out at 180-185? Calculated 1RM now should be at/over 300 now!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Nice work. Interested to follow your progress with such a calorie deficit too.