20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @jmule24 I'll only be in the deficit for this "prep" period. I'm going up by 100cal/wk and I already raised my calories to 1600+excercise this week so ~1800-1900/day. By the time I start the full program, I'll be at 2200+excercise (2400-2500/day) and 2800+ex (3000-3100/day).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    That's still awesome progress! Didn't you say the last time you ran it, you maxed out at 180-185? Calculated 1RM now should be at/over 300 now!

175- so failing at 200 was a big jump for me!!!

I'll be happy if I hit a solid 250 +
    I know i can do 245 cleanly- but it'd be really REALLY nice to be able to one rep max something closer to 3 plates. God I'd be happy.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I know it's just a calculator and doesn't transition into actual amount lifted, but the 1RM calc based off of the 5/3/1 program would put you at 324 1RM. Even using the 200lb one where you failed on 14 - 200x13 would put you north of 285
  • JoRocka
    Options
    wouldn't that be a treat!!!! I'd be so tickled pink!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week2 - Day 4
    Squat: 160x20
    pullover: 25x20
    IBP: 145 5x5
    weighted pullups: 35 5x5

I also went and had my BF tested via bodpod yesterday. I would have rather done DEXA, but couldn't find anywhere close that did it for body mass analysis. The only ones were for medically necessary bone density scans. I had just been estimating based on mirror, tape measure and tracking progress with BIA. I had calibrated my BIA scale to what I "thought" was my BF% and it read 16.5 yesterday. The BodPod had me at 16.2, so I guess I was pretty darn close.njcdtxloy4qs.jpg
    Last summer I got down to 168 at 13% BF (at least according to my scale/measurements) which means I've got about 6 more lbs of fat free mass than I did at that point and about 7.5 extra lbs of fat. Now that I've had it done once, it's only $35 for every re-test. Might look at doing it every 6-12 months just to track...or keep trying to find a DEXA place.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week 2
    Day 6

Program
    I should have done 160 again, but felt good and thanks to @nakedraygun wanted to try one heavier to see what I could do, so...225x20
    https://youtu.be/Kh4P2X97wiM

Pull-overs: 25#x20
    OHP: 105 5x5
    DL: 295 1x5, 405x1(fail) Broke off the ground, but could feel the back starting to round and didn't want to push it with already doing the heavier 20rep squat.

Overall, I'm liking this so far and I can already tell that mentally I'm in a better place than I was 2 weeks ago with thinking I can do this program when I get to the full thing, this morning proved that to myself. 225 will be 3 weeks into the program when I actually start it and I already proved to myself that I can do it, and probably could have done another 10-20lbs without too much trouble. Stay tuned...
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Video craps out @McCloud33 and besides, I thought @JoRocka gets the blame?
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @nakedraygun Not sure why it's crapping out for you, plays fine for me? And @JoRocka gets the blame for the program in general, but you get the blame for me going for 225 today LOL
    Options
    @nakedraygun Not sure why it's crapping out for you, plays fine for me? And @JoRocka gets the blame for the program in general, but you get the blame for me going for 225 today LOL

I got it work on the other thread. I commented over there @McCloud33

Dang. I guess I am culpable!
  • JoRocka
    Options

Yeah- I take NO credit for 225 at all LMAO- the only thing I do well at 225 is DL!!!

• McCloud33
    Options
    Stats( I'm going to throw this in every couple of weeks just to track as well)
    BW 180
    Neck 15.25"
    Chest 41.75"
    Waist(narrowest) 33"
    Waist(naval) 34"
    Hips 39.5"
    Thigh 22.5"
    Calf 15.5"
    Bicep 14.25"
    Forearm 11.5"
    Wrist 7"
    Ankle 9.25"

Diet
    Still at 1500+excercise calories. Ended up being just over 2000 yesterday with a 3 mile run and will be about 1700 today. Next week will go up 100 to 1600+ex. cals.

Well after two weeks a few of my stats have changed. I'm a little bloated tonight after a big lunch with more carbs than usual so that with water retention might account for some of it.
    BW: 185
    Neck: same
    Chest: same
    Waist(narrowest): same
    Waist(naval): 35" (guessing bloat)
    Hips(measure around butt): 40"
    Thigh: 23.25"
    Calf: 16"
    Bicep: same
    Forearm: same
  • McCloud33
    Options
    OMG! DOMS so bad today after doing the 225x20 yesterday. Barely felt it at all yesterday. I hope it's not this bad for the last three weeks of the program or it will definitely be FML
  • JoRocka
    Options
    OMG! DOMS so bad today after doing the 225x20 yesterday. Barely felt it at all yesterday. I hope it's not this bad for the last three weeks of the program or it will definitely be FML

I found I really was okay up until the last 2 weeks with the really heavy weights- I mean I wasn't like super happy- but it wasn't noticeable to me that I was stiff- but I move a lot between lifts because of dance- so maybe that helped me? But you should adjust to the high reps and be okay as you move upwards.

Should. LOL Your mileage may very well very tremendously.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    oops :D
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week 3 - Day 7

Squat: back down to 165#x20
    pullover: 25x20
    IBP: 150# 5x5
    weighted pull-ups: 40# 5x5

No ill effects as of this morning from going heavier on Friday. Even played a 90 min soccer game on Sunday. The 20 reps are definitely getting easier mentally and breaking them into 4 sets of 5 is working great. Even if I don't feel like I need to, I stop and take 4-5 breaths after the first 5. By the time I get to 10 I definitely need the 4-5 breaths, and everything after that I generally take 1-2 big breaths after each rep. If you're going to try this program at any point, use whatever works for you, but get down a routine as it has helped TREMENDOUSLY with my wind and definitely on the mental front. I had tried some higher rep squats before this and I would generally get to 10-12 reps and start feeling light-heading. Even doing the 225 on Friday I felt strong the whole way through with my breathing.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Glad to see you're settling into it- definitely keeping the breathing going- LOL_ they don't call it the 20 rep squat breathing program for nothing!!!
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    unless you are eating at a reasonable surplus I don't see how this is going to do much for you. You would be better off doing 5x5 at the normal progression and doing heavier weight.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @eeejer I'm ramping down my cut into a surplus as I run through it. By the time I start the full 6 week program, I'll be in a 100 cal surplus and upto a 600 cal surplus by the final week. I don't see the point in running a 1000 calorie surplus for the whole program when most of that is just going to be fat.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    unless you are eating at a reasonable surplus I don't see how this is going to do much for you. You would be better off doing 5x5 at the normal progression and doing heavier weight.

It's useful far beyond strength and size gains.

This is easily one of those most mentally taxing programs I've ever run. Even if the intent isn't all gains- it's a real gut check of a program. Which in my opinion- is well worth it.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »

It's useful far beyond strength and size gains.

This is easily one of those most mentally taxing programs I've ever run. Even if the intent isn't all gains- it's a real gut check of a program. Which in my opinion- is well worth it.

I am sure 5 reps will be easier mentally now.