Allergist vs. Naturopath for food allergies - help me understand

Options
13»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    WMLizard wrote: »
    And apologies for stating something you might already know - but if you want to test your tree nut sensitivity, don't use a peanut. Totally different things. Almonds, pecans, almost any other nut is a tree nut. Not that I'm advocating testing that sort of thing on yourself, of course...

I think it depends. My boyfriend is allergic to peanuts as well as pecans, walnuts, and other nuts but not almonds. It's so odd.

However, we both know when we're having allergic reactions and there's no doubt in my mind. I am allergic to eggs, nickel, certain meds [cipro, vancomycin and all sulfa antibiotics] and I know so because of head to toe hives. It sucks and I didn't need an allergy panel to tell me.

However I think it would be good to get one done on our son seeing as we both have multiple allergies. My son can't have nuts until he's at least two and I don't know if he'll be like my boyfriend and be allergic to animals as well as certain foods.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I started having reactions to tree nuts. I went to my doctor who suggested I go to an allergist to be tested as apparently it is possible to develop allergies later in life. The allergist was quite backed up and it was going to be about 6 months for an appointment, so in the meantime I went to a naturopath to have blood tests done. She concluded that I have varying degrees of allergies to quite a few foods, and also have leaky gut syndrome. The way she explained it made a lot of sense. She suggested a specific type of cleanse (yes, I know, the dreaded cleanse), which sent up a red flag for me but I still purchased the supplements. They're still sitting on my counter because....cleanse.

Fast forward to my allergist appointment, who did the skin prick test and determined that in fact I am not allergic to any of the foods the naturopath says I am, including tree nuts.

So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?

Anyone out there a naturopath or allergist, or knowledgeable in this who could shed some light?

The naturopath is con artist. The allergist actually has a M.D. granted by an accredited medical school. Tick tock, tick tock, this isn't really that hard . . .

Thanks so much for that enlightenment. Dr. Oz is also an M.D. but that doesn't mean that his word should be taken at face value should it? Tick tock tick tock....?? What does that even mean??

Moving on. Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback. I do understand that an allergist has an M.D. and is therefore (theoretically) much more qualified than a naturopath, however I believed that the naturopath also gave me some interesting information, some of which actually made more sense than the allergist given what I was experiencing. Hence my confusion.

I have learned a great deal here on MFP since joining almost 2 years ago, which is why I have not done the cleanse she recommended. One of the things I have learned is that as patients, we have the right to question our healthcare providers and to ask for more information when we feel that we aren't getting the full picture. This discussion has been very helpful to clear up my confusion.

• Colorscheme
    Options
    A few months ago I started having reactions to tree nuts. I went to my doctor who suggested I go to an allergist to be tested as apparently it is possible to develop allergies later in life. The allergist was quite backed up and it was going to be about 6 months for an appointment, so in the meantime I went to a naturopath to have blood tests done. She concluded that I have varying degrees of allergies to quite a few foods, and also have leaky gut syndrome. The way she explained it made a lot of sense. She suggested a specific type of cleanse (yes, I know, the dreaded cleanse), which sent up a red flag for me but I still purchased the supplements. They're still sitting on my counter because....cleanse.

Fast forward to my allergist appointment, who did the skin prick test and determined that in fact I am not allergic to any of the foods the naturopath says I am, including tree nuts.

So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?

Anyone out there a naturopath or allergist, or knowledgeable in this who could shed some light?

The naturopath is con artist. The allergist actually has a M.D. granted by an accredited medical school. Tick tock, tick tock, this isn't really that hard . . .

Thanks so much for that enlightenment. Dr. Oz is also an M.D. but that doesn't mean that his word should be taken at face value should it? Tick tock tick tock....?? What does that even mean??

Moving on. Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback. I do understand that an allergist has an M.D. and is therefore (theoretically) much more qualified than a naturopath, however I believed that the naturopath also gave me some interesting information, some of which actually made more sense than the allergist given what I was experiencing. Hence my confusion.

I have learned a great deal here on MFP since joining almost 2 years ago, which is why I have not done the cleanse she recommended. One of the things I have learned is that as patients, we have the right to question our healthcare providers and to ask for more information when we feel that we aren't getting the full picture. This discussion has been very helpful to clear up my confusion.

Dr Oz the tv person and Dr. Oz the surgeon are two different people. Dr. Oz the surgeon is actually quite good, he's saved a lot of lives. The person you see on tv is a shiller because he knows that's what gets him ratings.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options

An MD is not theoretically more qualified than a naturopath. An MD is actually way way more qualified than a naturopath. MD'S practice science based medicine, Naturopaths practice magic based fake nedicine.

See the thing is that medicine is complex, the human body is complex and there is not always going to be a simple solution. MD's don't always have the answers we want to hear so that's where the quacks step in. Naturopaths will tell you exactly what you want to hear and usually the answer is not based in reality. But it is presented in such a way that it makes sense , its what keeps the worried well coming back. They will make up fake diseases, ie systemic candida, Wilson's temperature symdrome, chronic Lyme, etc and then sell you useless supplements to treat the fake diseases. For the sake of your health stay far away from anyone practicing any kind of alternative medicine.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz the doctor is actually renowned in his specialty. He has made the mistake of whoring himself out on TV. That hardly changes the fact that if you're seeking help with allergies you should speak to a qualified allergist, and not a kook. This isn't all that difficult to think through, but to be clear, a M.D. has the minimum qualifications, a naturopath is unqualified. The varrying quality of M.D.s does nothing to change that fact.
    Options

Dr. Oz the doctor is actually renowned in his specialty. He has made the mistake of whoring himself out on TV. That hardly changes the fact that if you're seeking help with allergies you should speak to a qualified allergist, and not a kook. This isn't all that difficult to think through, but to be clear, a M.D. has the minimum qualifications, a naturopath is unqualified. The varrying quality of M.D.s does nothing to change that fact.

I did see an allergist. That wasn't my question. Reading comprehension is important.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Dr Oz the tv person and Dr. Oz the surgeon are two different people. Dr. Oz the surgeon is actually quite good, he's saved a lot of lives. The person you see on tv is a shiller because he knows that's what gets him ratings.

they are the same person. where you do you get they are two different people? they arent the AMA and most medical boards where he practices want him off the board because of touting woo on his show. Hes been in big trouble over all of the crap he touts on his show. but its still the same person
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I did see an allergist. That wasn't my question. Reading comprehension is important.

"So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?"

You're calling a naturopath a professional. I guess I should have clarified "listen" to the allergist, and "ignore" the naturopath, but I'll let Darwin do his job.
  • Colorscheme
    edited March 2016
    Options

they are the same person. where you do you get they are two different people? they arent the AMA and most medical boards where he practices want him off the board because of touting woo on his show. Hes been in big trouble over all of the crap he touts on his show. but its still the same person

Easy, Dr. Oz the surgeon does heart transplants and life saving cardio intervention and whether you want to believe it or not, is actually a renowned surgeon. Dr. Oz the tv personality does what he thinks gets ratings, so he touts woo.

Does it matter if boards want his license taken away because he touts woo? if he's a capable surgeon [which he is] then no one is going to do such a thing.
    edited March 2016
    Options

"So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?"

You're calling a naturopath a professional. I guess I should have clarified "listen" to the allergist, and "ignore" the naturopath, but I'll let Darwin do his job.
    Are you seriously debating the definition of the word professional? You must be bored today.

Edited for ironic spelling error
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Easy, Dr. Oz the surgeon does heart transplants and life saving cardio intervention and whether you want to believe it or not, is actually a renowned surgeon. Dr. Oz the tv personality does what he thinks gets ratings, so he touts woo.

Does it matter if boards want his license taken away because he touts woo? if he's a capable surgeon [which he is] then no one is going to do such a thing.

they can do anything they want to. they do it because it in their eyes ruins the hospitals he works for reputation.so what if he is a surgeon? he still tells people things he has no idea of because obviously he doesnt do the research himself. he tells people to use product A and product B to lose weight. if he cared so much about not spreading BS and was worried about his rep and cared about others he worked for he would stop doing the show.many hospitals want him to resign as well because of it. all he cares about is money,which is said. as a dr he took an oath to do no harm. he didnt follow that at all. There are many cardiothoracic surgeons out there that can take his place in the OR.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Are you seriously debating the definition of the word professional? You must be bored today.

Edited for ironic spelling error

Okay. Sure. Let's go with that.

Now, for more of the Dr. Oz non sequitur.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

they can do anything they want to. they do it because it in their eyes ruins the hospitals he works for reputation.so what if he is a surgeon? he still tells people things he has no idea of because obviously he doesnt do the research himself. he tells people to use product A and product B to lose weight. if he cared so much about not spreading BS and was worried about his rep and cared about others he worked for he would stop doing the show.many hospitals want him to resign as well because of it. all he cares about is money,which is said. as a dr he took an oath to do no harm. he didnt follow that at all. There are many cardiothoracic surgeons out there that can take his place in the OR.

Yeah, I'm not arguing with that point. He needs to do research before he touts stuff on tv but again, he's saved a lot of lives and Columbia loves him or else he wouldn't be a professor at Columbia and a director for the cardiovascular institute at NY Pres.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

They could take his license away if he is acting unethically. He did take the Hippocratic oath after all.
  • Colorscheme
    edited March 2016
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

They could take his license away if he is acting unethically. He did take the Hippocratic oath after all.

Yeah, but that has yet to happen and I seriously doubt it will. This article stayes why: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches/2014/06/27/how-does-dr-oz-keep-his-license/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yeah, I'm not arguing with that point. He needs to do research before he touts stuff on tv but again, he's saved a lot of lives and Columbia loves him or else he wouldn't be a professor at Columbia and a director for the cardiovascular institute at NY Pres.

if you look it up columbia wants him gone.They are the ones who want him to resign
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

They may have the same driver's license and birth certificate, but while I wouldn't think twice about the former wanting to cut me open and do surgery on me I would completely ignore the latter once he tried talking to me about nutrition and this awesome new supplement that's going to make the belly fat melt away in no time.
    It's quite curious how people can be absolute experts in one field yet spout absolute nonsense in another. In this case it's probably about fame and money, in others it's a mystery.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider everything that a naturopath says to be complete crap. At the same time, I wouldn't consider everything that an MD says to be gospel. Both can be right, and both can be wrong. In my opinion, the best approach is to blend the two together to try and get the best aspects out of both. Most people call it "Integrative Medicine".

My main concern is the supplements that the naturopath was trying to get the OP to buy, as well as the cleanse. Did she reccomend general supplements (ex: take vitamin D), or did she try to push specific brands? I'd be really cautious if she was trying the latter, or of she was selling the supplements to you herself.

What kind of cleanse was it? I've never heard of trying to manage allergies via a cleanse. I've heard of trying to manage them through specific dietary approaches (the GAPS diet comes to mind), but not through a cleanse. Was there some kind of "cleanse kit" that she was trying to sell you?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

They may have the same driver's license and birth certificate, but while I wouldn't think twice about the former wanting to cut me open and do surgery on me I would completely ignore the latter once he tried talking to me about nutrition and this awesome new supplement that's going to make the belly fat melt away in no time.
    It's quite curious how people can be absolute experts in one field yet spout absolute nonsense in another. In this case it's probably about fame and money, in others it's a mystery.

sorry but if my surgeon promoted bs and stood behind it I would find another surgeon. if I cant trust him to give me substantial and truthful info how can I trust him to cut me open? hes doing harm period. Im just waiting for people to start trying to sue him for being injured because they are stupid enough to listen to his crap touting