Pre-Diabetic Diet Help...

Options
I just found out I'm pre-diabetic. I go back for an A1C test in a few months to confirm if I am in fact diabetic. I was told "Lose weight, watch what you eat, and stay away from white starches."

...I was a gestational diabetic in my first pregnancy and I know there's more to it then that.

Are there any folks that regulate their diabetes by diet only that can share their diary with me? I need ideas and a f&cking hug. :/

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    *hug*

Did you ask your doctor about a diet you should be following? Everyone's different, though generally you'll need to limit your sugars and carbs (not cut out, just limit) and add exercise. Even if the exercise is just a 15minute walk down the street and back. I know my husband has a carb limit for each meal and can eat what he wants within that limit, so he can still eat normal foods, just not as much and lower on the carbs than I do.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it'll be alright, Your doctor or physician whoever advised you gave you the right advice. It's basically a low carbohydrate diet. Wich will normalize your blood sugar and heal alot of other problems in the body. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @devilwhiterose several do at the MFP link below. It seems very doable if one wants to pass on the meds. Best of success.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    *hug*

Did you ask your doctor about a diet you should be following? Everyone's different, though generally you'll need to limit your sugars and carbs (not cut out, just limit) and add exercise. Even if the exercise is just a 15minute walk down the street and back. I know my husband has a carb limit for each meal and can eat what he wants within that limit, so he can still eat normal foods, just not as much and lower on the carbs than I do.

She didn't say. I haven't logged this past weekend (I was working on a farm sun-up to sundown both days) but my Monday-Friday are pretty accurate and don't change much. I also have been walking/running 2-3 times a week for a half marathon that I've got in a couple weeks. I have a chest x-ray and ultrasound this week so pending results, I may just walk it. Basically, I've had some uncomfortable feelings below my right rib cage which felt like more than just a pulled muscle. I'm super bummed out.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Call local hospitals (or Google) and find a diabetes educator. They can be either a nurse or dietician. They do small group intro classes and one on one counseling. Typically the nurses handle complicated stuff, like if you need to be on an insulin pump.

For now, keep a food log, and check your blood sugar before and after meals. Traditional logic was carbs are carbs, eat fewer of them. Recent research shows different people's blood sugar reacts wildly differently to the same foods, so you can't just assume white bread = bad, zucchini = good.

The main things to work on will be losing weight, exercise, count carbs, check BS.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    *hug*

She didn't say. I haven't logged this past weekend (I was working on a farm sun-up to sundown both days) but my Monday-Friday are pretty accurate and don't change much. I also have been walking/running 2-3 times a week for a half marathon that I've got in a couple weeks. I have a chest x-ray and ultrasound this week so pending results, I may just walk it. Basically, I've had some uncomfortable feelings below my right rib cage which felt like more than just a pulled muscle. I'm super bummed out.

If you're having pain when you run, best to stick to walking until you find out what it is. It might be nothing, but if it's serious, don't want to make it worse.

If you can, talk to a licensed dietitian about what you should be eating. You have a chance to head off the meds, and even if you have to start them, with T2 caused by weight, it's definitely possible to lose the weight and eventually get off the meds.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sometimes muscle craps and even heart palpitations, fatigue, headaches are caused by an electrolyte imbalance, it'll be a good idea to get some blood work done and check electrolytes from your doctor. Just a thought
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You don't need to be scared and all stressed out. You can live long, happy and healthy even if you have been diagnosed with diabetes. The diabetic meal plan is just a simple healthy meal plan (it's what a regular person should eat to stay healthy). You need to moderate the amounts of food and trick to regular meal and exercise times.
    You need to eat: healthy carbs complex carbs high in fiber (whole grains, fruits, veggies and legumes), good fats (avocado, peanuts, almonds, olive oil), low fat dairy, low fat meats, 2 lts of water and exercise at least 30 minutes per day.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I used to be pre-diabetic too. I control my blood glucose levels entirely with diet. I no longer need or have to take any kind of Diabetic related medications at all. My diary is open so knock yourself out if you want to poke around in it. Also, please be aware that I cook 85-95% of the foods / meals I eat at home.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As many others said, going low carb (and high fat) will improve insulin resistance and usually completely reverse prediabetes. Most of us eliminated, or severely cut back on, grains (rice, corn, quinoa, and baked goods), high GI fruits, starchy root vegetables and foods with added sugars. A typical low carb meal will involve meats, eggs, nuts, avocado, olives, cheese, butter, full fat dairy, and lots of veggies, especially the green leafy types.

The book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a great guide to lowering insulin needs and insulin resistance in both T1D and T2Ds. I recommend reading it.

I also suggest getting a glucose metre. Test before you eat and then again after (at 30 or 60minutes, and 90 or 120 minutes). Eat to your metre. If BG spikes with certain foods, you know it has to go or be severely limited or paired with more protein and fat

Good luck.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Many good suggestions listed above, but just to add something more concrete...a general rule of thumb is 30 carbs per meal plus one 30-carb snack for diabetics and pre-diabetics. So 120G carbs/day is a reasonable number to aim for when you are just starting out.

Do yourself a favor and start tracking now...you can use this to see if your ideal carb intake is lower and to note which foods do tend to spike you blood sugar.

The good news is that diet is a powerful tool. I was where you are at one point, but my A1C has been 5.0 for several years now. A lot of this is within your control.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    My mom is diabetic - she eats pretty much what she wants. She has to stay within 45 net carbs per meal. You really should talk to a certified diabetic educator, usually found at a hospital, to learn the correct way to count net carbs and see how many carbs you should be eating. I've always heard 45 for most women per meal, some I've seen 60 carbs, depending on weight, etc.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Remember if you are doing lower carb, then you can increase the fats and oils: bacon, eggs, dark meat chicken, tuna, salmon, butter, bacon, avocado, nuts, chia seeds, full fat salad dressing, mayo, cheese, coconut and other oils.
  • GoddessT540
    GoddessT540 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic for a long time, 40 years this month....Happy Anniversary, Diabetes! UGH....I was fine until I gained a bunch of weight nine years ago.....I have found my way back to health/fitness, and a loss of 54 pounds, through online groups we run, and eating CLEAN. It's a Journey, sometimes not easy, but with education and the help of others, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! <3
  • GoddessT540
    GoddessT540 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh....let me add that the BEST way to diagnose diabetes is through Glucose Tolerance Testing.....where you have a blood draw, drink the syrup, wait an hour or two or three, another blood draw. Just testing fasting glucose, or even Hemoglobin A1c testing, while necessary, does not give an accurate picture. And avoiding "white starches" is ridiculous.....it's learning how to eat healthy, and balanced, and getting exercise, enough sleep, the entire structure of your life needs to be looked at. YOU ARE GETTING A WAKE-UP CALL....please don't ignore it. I was on the verge of losing my feet/legs, after so many years.....blessings on your Journey!
  • dacpanr
    dacpanr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Message me I can help you. I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago and had an a1c of 8.1. I was overweight. I am now in pre diabetes and my a1c is now at 5.6. Everyone here has given great points. I have nothing else to add to this but motivation. So message me and I can help you. Cheers!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last Spring. I begged them to give me 6 months with a "pre-diabetic" diagnosis" before the big D label got slapped on me, but they said that the new regs, wouldn't allow it. There was no way around it, I was diabetic. So, I know how much you need that hug right now!!!

I was also diagnosed with gestational with both my pregnancies and was insulin dependent. So, since I am overweight and there is a history in my family, I should not have been surprised.

I pretty much follow the same diet that I did when I was pregnant. I cut back on the bread and carbs. I still eat them though. I have not eliminated anything. I did go on metformin, an oral medication that, has really helped me. Some complain of side effects, I have not had any problems at all.

The think that was most surprising to me, was how much exercising effected my sugars. When I was hiking in the summer, 3-4 days a week, my sugars were much better then I would eat the same diet and not hike on different week. I noticed this and did some research and found that when you exercised, your cells function better and process the glucose better, sooooooo better numbers! I had no idea.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh, feel free to send me a message... I really do get it.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    So...are any of you runners? If so, how do you balance your carb needs for running with your diabetes?

In the past, I carb-load heavy the day before a race (2 gatorades, baked potato, italian bread...etc).

What do you guys do?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I was told I was pre diabetic in January. I am also anemic, so when I did some research high sugars are common when you are anemic. I have been on iron supplement, eating healthy and exercising. I go next week for my 3 month blood work to see if what I am doing is helping. I run also, I don't carb-load the day before. I just eat like I normally would and find that I am good. However, with that being said I don't run long distance. I just run 5km (3.1miles) right now and working my way up to more distance. So I am not sure I offered anything here...LOL!