Core - 100 Days to Abs

Options
I've been lifting and strictly watching macros since October. I've seen significant changes in my body - more toned arms and shoulders; firmer legs and larger glutes; abs peeking through at the top and a solid line down my stomach. I have a very regimented upper body work out, as well as a lower body work out that I stick to successfully with lots of results. I lack when it comes to core exercises. My main routines include the Roman chair (30 reps, 4 sets) and side incline reach with a 25 lb. plate which targets the obliques. I always want to do some exercise ball circuits (crunch with 25 lb. plate, planking knee-ups, twist with 25 lb. plate, etc.) but lately I haven't had time. I need to start ensuring that I have enough time in my upper body routine to get every exercise done to target both arms/back/shoulders and core. I have the basis, but there is of course, still a layer of fat covering the "ripped abs" that I'm sure are hiding underneath. My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia. Exercises are much appreciated! I know a lot of core strength comes from stabilization in other workouts, but I'd love to target those muscles even more than I already do. Also, how much of this is diet and how much is strength training with a core focus? I eat about 1,400-1,600 calories a day (moderately eat back exercise cals) and strength train daily. High protein, low sugar diet. Just wondering if I should be attempting to "cut" when the event gets closer, or if I should be maintaining a diet and increasing the core work outs. Advice needed and appreciated.

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen- Log religiously! If you want to get them to show more, you'll have to get your body fat % even lower.

BTW if that's you in your photo, you look great. Keep at it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia.

Your diet
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia.

Your diet

That's exactly what I thought. Love the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I log 100% of what I eat but should I be cutting calories instead of eating 1,400-1,600 x day?
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen- Log religiously! If you want to get them to show more, you'll have to get your body fat % even lower.

BTW if that's you in your photo, you look great. Keep at it!

Exactly my thoughts! Just wanted to see what other fitness enthusiasts had to say. I log religiously. MFP is like my bible. Should I be cutting also? I'm at 1,400-1,600 x day now. And thank you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Your diet

That's exactly what I thought. Love the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I log 100% of what I eat but should I be cutting calories instead of eating 1,400-1,600 x day?

Not enough info to say. Height/weight/weekly activity level?
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

Your diet

Not enough info to say. Height/weight/weekly activity level?

5' - 114 lbs. - sedentary office job but I am at the gym for 2-hours daily (mostly lifting, some yoga and cardio)
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

No. Measure it out. I know the difference, but I don't have enough $ to buy a food scale at the moment. Hard enough to scrounge up money to buy the healthy food.