Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Core - 100 Days to Abs

I've been lifting and strictly watching macros since October. I've seen significant changes in my body - more toned arms and shoulders; firmer legs and larger glutes; abs peeking through at the top and a solid line down my stomach. I have a very regimented upper body work out, as well as a lower body work out that I stick to successfully with lots of results. I lack when it comes to core exercises. My main routines include the Roman chair (30 reps, 4 sets) and side incline reach with a 25 lb. plate which targets the obliques. I always want to do some exercise ball circuits (crunch with 25 lb. plate, planking knee-ups, twist with 25 lb. plate, etc.) but lately I haven't had time. I need to start ensuring that I have enough time in my upper body routine to get every exercise done to target both arms/back/shoulders and core. I have the basis, but there is of course, still a layer of fat covering the "ripped abs" that I'm sure are hiding underneath. My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia. Exercises are much appreciated! I know a lot of core strength comes from stabilization in other workouts, but I'd love to target those muscles even more than I already do. Also, how much of this is diet and how much is strength training with a core focus? I eat about 1,400-1,600 calories a day (moderately eat back exercise cals) and strength train daily. High protein, low sugar diet. Just wondering if I should be attempting to "cut" when the event gets closer, or if I should be maintaining a diet and increasing the core work outs. Advice needed and appreciated.

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    BUMP
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen- Log religiously! If you want to get them to show more, you'll have to get your body fat % even lower.

BTW if that's you in your photo, you look great. Keep at it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia.

Your diet
  • peaceout_aly
    DavPul wrote: »

My question is, what can I focus on in the next 100 days (I have a vacation that I'm going on in 100 days that has been my "motivation," although it has now become a lifestyle...) to make sure that my abs are toned while I'm in Croatia.

Your diet

That's exactly what I thought. Love the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I log 100% of what I eat but should I be cutting calories instead of eating 1,400-1,600 x day?
  • peaceout_aly
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen- Log religiously! If you want to get them to show more, you'll have to get your body fat % even lower.

BTW if that's you in your photo, you look great. Keep at it!

Exactly my thoughts! Just wanted to see what other fitness enthusiasts had to say. I log religiously. MFP is like my bible. Should I be cutting also? I'm at 1,400-1,600 x day now. And thank you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Your diet

That's exactly what I thought. Love the saying "abs are made in the kitchen" I log 100% of what I eat but should I be cutting calories instead of eating 1,400-1,600 x day?

Not enough info to say. Height/weight/weekly activity level?
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Do you weigh your food?
  • peaceout_aly

Your diet

Not enough info to say. Height/weight/weekly activity level?

5' - 114 lbs. - sedentary office job but I am at the gym for 2-hours daily (mostly lifting, some yoga and cardio)
  • peaceout_aly
    Do you weigh your food?

No. Measure it out. I know the difference, but I don't have enough $ to buy a food scale at the moment. Hard enough to scrounge up money to buy the healthy food.