Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Normal BMI 18.5-24.9

13»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I understand my intake is low. That is for weight loss purposes to get to a healthy weight. I don't want to stop working out and be 20 pounds over weight with a high BF index. Now that I understand what Bf index is and how to figure it out I'm more comfortable with my decision to lose a little more. I know guys who are over their BMI's that have huge arms and beer gut stomachs. I'd rather be a healthy weight.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can eat more and still work out, lose fat and retain your muscle.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I used caliper for the measurements on Livestrong. I haven't weighed myself in awhile so on the first website I put in a guestimate of my weight plus the measurements. Livestrong only asks for height, M/F, abdominal, and neck. I also been back at the gym the past week 90+ minutes everyday on a high protein (100g) between 800-1000cal diet.
    In your first post you say you don't want to be a twig, but you're on an 800-100 calorie/day diet and working out 90+ minutes a day? No man should be eating that little unless you're about 3'6" with the metabolism of a slug. 100g is not a high protein diet, either. You're setting yourself up to lose lots of lean body mass and look much more like that second 10% picture than the first. You're not going to look "ripped", you're going to look like a skeleton. Read this thread and get your nutrition goals set up right:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

800-1000? Ummmm...no.

Anybody else wondering if a bunch of pro-ana peeps got together and decided to troll like crazy this week?

OP, if you aren't a troll and serious about your health and body composition, cut it out with trying to starve yourself and really research about how much you should be eating, cutting and bulking phases, protein macro %, etc.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Also I currently do 35 minutes of cardio at 100% incline and 100% resistence. 300-400 sit ups and crunches. 30 pull-ups. Strength training bench at 120lbs. Free weight 45lbs 30 minutes different exercises. 80 push-ups every other day. Then I alternate machines for back and arms different days.

Yes you definitely need to be eating more. Even a sedentary person your size would need more, and you're far from sedentary.

Why not just figure out your maintenance, take a reasonable cut from that (15% would be ideal, as AnvilHead said), get plenty of protein, and work on changing your body composition?

I really don't think that doing what you're doing currently is going to result in the body that you want.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    I'll try your advice guys thanks. I'm gonna try 5 meals at 300 calories each.
  • BMI isn't the best method because it doesn't take into account muscle mass / body fat %. Pick a projected weight based on a healthy body fat percentage instead. There are charts for healthy body fat % depending on your personal goals, and calculators which will project what your weight will be at the desired body fat %.

This. ^

According to the BMI, Jay Cutler is obese.

jay-cutler-steroids-3.jpg

Okay, but do you look like Jay Cutler? If no, then BMI is probably a more accurate indicator of your body mass.
  • chrs86
    Well I bought a 12pack and made some peanut butter cookies so that should help increase my calorie intake while building lean muscle.
  • chrs86
    That's what I'm thinking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I'll try your advice guys thanks. I'm gonna try 5 meals at 300 calories each.
    [edit:] Nevermind. After reading your posts in other threads, I'm convinced you're a troll.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    The thing to realize is that your body fat can't just empty itself out overnight. It can only provide something like 1% of its energy per day. When your deficit is bigger than that, the extra energy is not coming from your body fat, it's coming from elsewhere, like your muscles. The practical upshot of all this is that a huge deficit is not better than a small deficit.