Am I too old and kidding myself?

Options
I'm 39 40 in October but I'm feeling a bit down and thinking I'm wasting my time with all the exercise I do. I enjoy it greatly but have I left it to late to get that toned body and be extremely healthy? Wish I'd done this 20 years ago! I've been told that because I'm nearly 40 I will probably never get that chiselled body

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Um, 40 is NOT old! Who on earth told you that and why would you ever believe them?! Silliness, I tell you. You can do anything you put your mind to. Make a plan, be consistent, and keep setting new goals. I'm 44, BTW. If I can do it, anyone can.

Also, you mention exercise, but your diet and nutrition are #1 as far as reducing body fat. How's your calorie intake? Do you track your food?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am 49 almost 50 and just starting to run. I will not be an Olympic athlete or run marathons but I do it to be fit and I enjoy it. I don't have a time machine to tell my younger self what to do but I have right now. You are never too old to make a better you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was 255lbs and obese at 35. I'm not now...

Not 40 but close enough :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and short. I was in the obese category, now i'm not. Age is not an excuse. I'm actually lighter now than I was before my oldest child was born. She's 25 now, and I have 5 kids with the last two being a set of twins. Will I ever be a swimsuit model? Nope. Even at 20, I wouldn't have been. But I feel so much better and I am able to be more active with all my kids. You don't need to have a perfect body to be healthy and happy and energetic.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can get that chiseled body at any age! I'm working on it to go into my 40's HOT! I'm 40 in December. Add me
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in August. As much as I wish I'd figured this out 20 years ago, I'm very glad I've figured it out at all. I reached my goal weight about 18 months ago and have maintained with no problems.

Start now, enjoy the rest of your life.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 73-love working out and not being a fat, dumpy old lady. People ask "how do you do it?"-MFP.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    no way are you too old! In my 50's I lost weight and began a fitness plan and it worked.
    I support you to do it. besides that, if you don't try, you'll never know how good you can look and two years from now .... well? Nothing will have changed.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was 39 when I started my journey to lose 160 pounds, and get into shape. It might of taken us longer, or might be more work, but defiantly possible.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,000 Member
    Options
    I'm 73-love working out and not being a fat, dumpy old lady. People ask "how do you do it?"-MFP.

I aim to be like you when I reach that age...and beyond (I'm 50).
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My sister started running at 40 and did her first marathon just before her 41st birthday. Old is a state of mind.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Do it now. I'm 62 and wondering the same thing.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,000 Member
    Options
    One of my close friends ran his first marathon at age 62, and ran 22 of them between age 62 and 72. Other friends are running marathons in their 60s and 70s.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I will be 42 next month. I'm in the best shape of my life. I started working toward this body at 38. Just do it. :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    At 39 and 290 pounds I took up martial arts with no prior experience. Now at about to be 46 I am 243#, a black belt in Aikido, and I walk 14-15000 steps a day at my job before going to the dojo for 2 hours three evenings a week. I only started the CICO plan just about a year ago so losing weight has been pretty slow but I am in far better shape than I have been in a long time and I work circles around my 23 year old make co-worker who was recently an elite college athlete.

My body may never be "chiseled" bit I sure do feel a lot better. Age is only a number. What matters is what is happening in your head.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    As someone who works out a couple nights a week with high school kids - - and I can keep up with them - - you are definitely not too old. Age really is just a number. On the flip side I work out with a more mature crowd on the other days and they are all kicking a**. A few will even be getting on stage this weekend to display their hard work.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I was 54 when I lost, 62 now and maintaining.
    I am in the best shape of my life!

Cheers, h.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Umm, I'm turning 40 (and that's hardly old), and I have the best body of my life. Heck, I have an even better body than 2 years ago. Even a frumpy suburban like person of my age can benefit from bulking and cutting like the youngins do ;)