Am I too old and kidding myself?

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Um, 40 is NOT old! Who on earth told you that and why would you ever believe them?! Silliness, I tell you. You can do anything you put your mind to. Make a plan, be consistent, and keep setting new goals. I'm 44, BTW. If I can do it, anyone can.

Also, you mention exercise, but your diet and nutrition are #1 as far as reducing body fat. How's your calorie intake? Do you track your food?

Total Baloney. And dangerous one at that.

We can all make efforts, sure; but the results will vary depending on what we got to start with.

Dangerous? How so? My sentence that you bolded was merely a note of encouragement. It in NO way was a dangerous statement. But, to each their own.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    trueblu3 wrote: »
    Really amazed by so many responses.. There's some great people on this forum and I thank you all for your kind words. You have more than motivated me. I'm gonna go for it now and I'll keep posting on my progress. I'll work damn hard to achieve my goals and age is just a number

Good for you! So, what's you current work out plan and schedule? What are your short-term and long-term goals?
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Whether you work out or not, you're going to be 40 in October either way, so why not be a better-looking and healthier 40?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. I lost about 10 lbs before my 40th birthday and have kept it off ever since. For me it wasn't so much about losing weight as it was reducing my BF%. Not only to look better, but to feel better too. You can do it! :smile:
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Uh... Why are you calling us too old to be fit?!? I'm almost 46 and darn it I'm fighting for it. Today I hurried a woman who was 97. Now she was too old. We've got a lot of years ahead of us.
  • AnnetteJones4
    AnnetteJones4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "I'll chime it with the rest. First, you are not old, and you are never to old. I'm 55 and plan to work out until I'm no longer able. Not only does it make me feel better, and look better. But as we age, it's important for keeping bones strong, and the heart healthy. I want to be able to move freely well into my later years, not struggle to even bend down. "

What he said. In my 20's I was a young chiseled hard body and MAN I wish I had appreciated it more, it was hard work! I am softer and rounder today AND I still work out. I workout now and watch my food intake to be as healthy and self sufficient as much and as long as I possibly can. If you don't use it you lose it. I am 55 (soon to be 56) and I teach a yoga class where a 92 year old comes to move and breathe with us. She gets right down on the floor and I can't possibly imagine complaining about my age around her. She inspires me. sooo, yeah, keep moving. And don't be so invested in the chiseled factor. Its about the cardiovascular and respiratory system. Life has to have balance. Try a yoga class! And don't feel like it HAS to be hot yoga and kick your *kitten*!! Balance, breath, movement, and worry less, and you achieve health:^D
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you don't do it now, when you're 60 you'll still be wishing you would've done it 20 years ago. The time is going to pass anyway so you might as well start today! Just take it one day at a time. I'll be 40 in July so I can relate!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 too. I also wish I had discovered this when I was a young 'un but when I was a young 'un I was happy enough with my physique. It was only post baby that I turned into a heifer.

It IS worth it. I can now look in the mirror and be relatively happy. Last year at this time I wouldn't look in the mirror even to brush my hair.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    40 is definitely not too old. I don't believe any age is too old to get fit or even toned for that matter. Hmm, I wonder if this 86 year old thought she was too old. blackbeachweek.com/meet86yearol.html.......Naw, I doubt it! :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just turned 60. I'm the same height and within 5 pounds weight of my 24 year son who has done so local fitness modeling. We wear the same size clothes (he does fill them out a bit better though).
  • frannevlis
    frannevlis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 years old and still hoping for a wonderful future with this program. Just started doing 5k a year ago. Had surgery on a foot and was off for 4 months. Than I finally quit smoking after 56 years. Gained 20 lbs and working like crazy to loose the weight. I'm 5' 3" and weight was 120 lbs my whole life. Hang in there as WE ARE NEVER TOO OLD!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Heavens no!!! I starred at 59, have lost 135 lbs, and made amazing progress in my fitness. 2 yrs ago I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mi without excruciating pain. Now I'm working on c25k. One of my friends started at 58, regularly outperforms 20-somethings, and is training for a triathlon sprint.

You're never too old!

Congratulation and Amen!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Omigod you should totally google 'Fauja Singh. He's 100. He still runs marathons around the world. Originally from Punjab, India, he lives in England .
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    trueblu3 wrote: »
    I'm 39 40 in October but I'm feeling a bit down and thinking I'm wasting my time with all the exercise I do. I enjoy it greatly but have I left it to late to get that toned body and be extremely healthy? Wish I'd done this 20 years ago! I've been told that because I'm nearly 40 I will probably never get that chiselled body

I started at 42 and I am in the best shape of my life!
    qebcn8krra5e.png
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 going on 49 this year and I haven't felt this good in years nor looked this good! I workout everyday and watch what I eat because I didn't want to turn 50 being overweight and out of shape. I have lost 20 lbs in just over 3 months and counting. Good Luck!