What happens when you go way over calories one day..

Options
Hi everyone! So I've been following my 1330 calorie diet for two weeks and no surprises losing my 1.5 lb a week. Yesterday I was below goal at around 1267 calories net and then I went to dinner.. We went to Olive Garden where I ate half an entree, two bread sticks, salad and two soft drinks which i calculated approximately ( using their online nutrition info and serving sizes) to be around 2000 calories !! Which means my day total net calories even after exercise was about 3300 or 2000 more than I'm supposed to eat to lose weight :( my weight is barely up today but it is still up, as it should be with this much food in my stomach and salt etc. what I'm wondering is to my fellow calorie counters.. What will the rest of the week be like? Will I lose faster since I surprised my body with extra calories? Will it be harder to lose? I don't believe in cheat days and I eat whatever I want all the time. The only reason my calories were so high was because everything on their menu was high and I had been done eating for the day and just ended up going out anyway when a friend offered to take me to dinner ( for social reasons). No regrets but I'm curious what happens? Maybe someone who does cheat meals can answer? Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.

It was a tasty learning experience. Just get back on your 1330 today.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It was one time. Nothing much will happen. Just get right back on track and don't make it a habit :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One day will do nothing save for the scale will show greater inherent waste in your system and more water retention than normal. Our body's are pretty intricate and complicated...it's not like you have a TDEE of exactly XXXX calories and if you go over that one day your body is going to put that to fat storage. The human body strives for balance and strives to maintain that balance...to override your body's ability to maintain balance, one must over eat on a consistent basis or under eat on a consistent basis...one day doesn't do it. One day of excess energy and your body will figure out how to use that energy for good...it's when you consistently over eat that you actually build fat stores.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Wondering if anyone knows how it affects rate of weight loss the week after eating so much? Hope more people post and someone can help answer that
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    In the short term you will probably see a decent gain of water weight because the food at Olive Garden has a ton of sodium.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Options
    I only experienced a two pound gain.. But it is most likely the weight of the food
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water to combat the fluid retention. Today, eat on plan. Don't worry about it. There will be days you will go over. As long as you don't go over multiple days, and as long as you don't make a habit of it, you will be fine.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. One meal will not derail your whole week. Just get back on track and you'll be fine. Question: did you eat less than you would have before MFP? If so, I would count that as a victory and move on.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Options
    Stacy- I would have maybe ate slightly more before but nothing crazy. I think what is new and a victory is that I didn't beat myself up over it. I woke up, ate my normal breakfast, drank a coffee and went on my usual long morning run :blush: feels good o:)
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If your calorie number is true, your number would be predicted to be .57 pounds higher at the end of the week. My sense, based upon things that I have ordered in the past, is that the real calories on the plate are more than reported. But this is ultimately no big deal...Best to move on and not worry about it.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Options
    Rob the thing about those predictions is they never work for me.. I exercise a LOT so chances are I will have burned that .5 off by tomorrow.. I run about 80 miles a week. 10 miles every morning and a 5k at night
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty simple math.

If you are set to lose 1.5 lb/week that means that you have a weekly deficit of 5,250 cals built into your weekly goal (750 cals/day deficit).
    You exceeded your goal by 2000 cals yesterday, which means that even if you change nothing else, you would still have a deficit of 3,250 cals for the week.
    3,250/3,500 = 0.93

You would still lose almost 1 lb this week, after the temporary increase you saw from increased sodium levels off.

So basically - no long term damage done.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Stacy- I would have maybe ate slightly more before but nothing crazy. I think what is new and a victory is that I didn't beat myself up over it. I woke up, ate my normal breakfast, drank a coffee and went on my usual long morning run :blush: feels good o:)

That sounds like a victory to me for sure!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sure, your will likely still net a loss if you follow your program. So, again, no big deal.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There's 3500 calories in a pound of fat. The most you could gain from your extra meal is therefore just under a pound. Which would mean a week where you lose 0.5 pounds rather than 1.5 pounds.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Stay on your plan, adjust your expected date of arrival at goal.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you enjoyed your meal, now just move on. Life is going to happen, and you're going to be eating out. You may see a temporary gain on the scale, but all else being equal it should fall off within a week. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's actually pretty simple math.

If you are set to lose 1.5 lb/week that means that you have a weekly deficit of 5,250 cals built into your weekly goal (750 cals/day deficit).
    You exceeded your goal by 2000 cals yesterday, which means that even if you change nothing else, you would still have a deficit of 3,250 cals for the week.
    3,250/3,500 = 0.93

You would still lose almost 1 lb this week, after the temporary increase you saw from increased sodium levels off.

So basically - no long term damage done.

^^ This
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Immediate effect, you will put on a little fat, a lot of water weight. Longer term, it will reduce the amount you lose this week a little bit, but will not really make a huge different in the long run. In other words, one day is not going to make a big different in the larger picture.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow still happens.
    Wake up. Eat. Log. Move. Log.