Always starving and hungry?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm a 5'5 23 year old female. Right now I weigh 169.7 lbs. I eat around 1,400 to 1,500 calories per day. I drink at least 2.05 liters of water per day and work out at the gym for 60-90 minutes 5 days a week except this week. I've been eating right and dieting for the past 2 years and I've lost 70.6 lbs. It use to be a little more of a lose, but I've gained a few pounds back. Ever since Christmas, I fell off the wagon and just can't seem to come back. I've kept up with my exercise routine no problem, but the thing that's killing me is my insane appetite.

I just can't stop eating and I feel like I'm never satisfied. I don't know what's going on with me since I've never experienced this during the past 2 years I've been dieting. I'm never in a deficiency because I can't stop eating. I mainly eat healthy foods like another serving of yogurt with fruit for a bed time snack, half a peanut butter sandwich, turkey lunch meat with whole grain crackers, some veggies, ect. But it doesn't matter what I eat of course if I'm not in a deficiency even if it's healthy and not junk food. No matter if I work out or don't work out, I feel like I'm always starving. It's terrible since my motivation to keep losing weight has almost vanished and I've become depressed. My original goal was to get don to 130 pounds, but I'm wondering if even 140 pounds is possible.

Here is a example of my macros of what I've eaten today and it's similar to what it always is since my breakfast and lunch are always the same with only snack and dinner changing. But my dinner is always a 50 to 55 grams of starch, 150 grams of meat, and 100-200 grams of veggies.

For the Whole Day:
Total Calories: 1,471.3
Total Protein: 91 grams
Total Fiber: 26 grams
Total Carbs: 146.1 grams
Total Fat: 44.6 grams

This amount would always keep me full and I was never starving except for the last few months. My numbers were always around this amount, but of course lately there higher since I've been eating more things. Today I'm trying desperately to stick to this amount and not eat more which is hard since I'm hungry.

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    In case anyone's interested, here is the full breakdown of my eating pattern for today. I would really really love any suggestions or tips! Especially since I honestly don't know what to do or why this is happening.

Breakfast:
    Chicken Schnitzel 100 grams: 160 calories (15 g protein, 0.3 g fiber, 11 g carbs, 5.5 g fat)
    130 gram of veggies: 41 calories (1 g protein, 2 g fiber, 5 g carbs, 0.2 g fat)
    25 gram whole grain spaghetti: 85 calories (3.5 g protein, 1.7 g fiber, 16 g carbs, 0.5g fat)
    Total calories: 290-300 calories depending on which veggies I use
    Total Protein: 19.5 grams
    Total fiber: 7 grams
    Total carbs: 32
    Total fat: 6.2

Lunch:
    200 grams of yoghurt: 112 calories (17 g protein, 0 g fiber, 9 g carbs, 1 g fat)
    125 g of fruit (Apple and Grapes): 95 calories (0.4 g protein, 2.1 g fiber, 18.5 g carbs, 0.3 g fat)
    20 g All-Bran cereal: 67 calories (2.8 g protein, 5.4 g fiber, 9.6 g carbs, 0.7 fat)
    Total calories: 274-280 calories (Depending on which cereal I use)
    Total Protein: 20.2 grams
    Total Fiber: 7.5 grams
    Total carbs: 39.6 grams
    Total Fat: 2 grams

Snack:
    30 g oatmeal: 113 calories (3.3 g protein, 2.7 g fiber, 18 g carbs, 2.4 g fat)
    100 grams of milk: 48 calories (3.5 g protein, 0 g fiber, 4.5 g carbs, 1.5 g fat)
    12 g Peanut butter: 80 calories (2.5 g protein, 0.7 g fiber, 1.3 g carbs, 6.9 g fat)
    4 grams of sugar: 15.8 calories
    5 grams of cocoa powder: 19.5 calories
    Total calories: 276.3 calories
    Total Protein: 9.3 grams
    Total Fiber: 3.4 grams
    Total carbs: 23.8 grams
    Total Fat: 10.8 grams

Dinner:
    150 g of Ground beef: 323 calories (30 g protein, 0 g fiber, 0.6 g carbs, 22.5 g fat)
    200 g veggies: 62 calories (2 g protein, 4 g fiber, 10 g carbs, 0.4 g fat)
    55 g spaghetti noodles: 187 calories (7.7 g protein, 3.7 g fiber, 35.2 g carbs, 1.1 g fat)
    33 g spaghetti sauce: 43 calories (2.3 g protein, 0.4 g fiber, 4.9 g carbs, 1.6 g fat)
    Total calories: 615 calories
    Total Protein: 42 grams
    Total Fiber: 8.1 grams
    Total Carbs: 50.7 grams
    Total Fat: 25.6 grams

For the Whole Day:
    Total Calories: 1,471.3
    Total Protein: 91 grams
    Total Fiber: 26 grams
    Total Carbs: 146.1 grams
    Total Fat: 44.6 grams
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you feel this way when you eat more fiber? 26 grams is just a touch over the recommended amount. Some people (including myself) find fiber to me very filling. I notice on days when I eat more, I feel much better.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello, I think your meals look really good. Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing!
    In what way have you fallen off the wagon? Are you tracking your food intake? It looks like you are from your post.

From the information given I would suggest actually increasing your food intake. You sound very active. I think you could add in another meal, another 400-600 cals of similar macros to what you are already eating.

For some comparison, I am much older than you (I'm 47) and am currently getting ready for a beach/skiing vacay, and am in a deficit (I eat LCHF and fiber). I am 5'7" and am eating 1700 cals per day, and burn about 500 cals on most days lifting and walking, some cycling. In the past 10 days I've lost 7lbs (6 lbs the first 8 days, 1 lb in the last 2 days). I think you could eat a little more than you are because you are younger and more active than I am.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Fats and protein keep you feeling fuller longer.

and I wonder is it hunger? you mention appetite? not hunger?

Feel like you are starving? but you aren't...

maybe just readjust your inner dialogue...

sounds like you are craving something and haven't allowed it or you are bored.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    What percentage of the calories that you earn from exercise are you eating back?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I don't find carbs from flour (unlike carbs from foods like legumes) especially filling, so when I eat flour products I have to eat a higher percentage of protein in order to feel full.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hello, I think your meals look really good. Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing!
    In what way have you fallen off the wagon? Are you tracking your food intake? It looks like you are from your post.

From the information given I would suggest actually increasing your food intake. You sound very active. I think you could add in another meal, another 400-600 cals of similar macros to what you are already eating.

For some comparison, I am much older than you (I'm 47) and am currently getting ready for a beach/skiing vacay, and am in a deficit (I eat LCHF and fiber). I am 5'7" and am eating 1700 cals per day, and burn about 500 cals on most days lifting and walking, some cycling. In the past 10 days I've lost 7lbs (6 lbs the first 8 days, 1 lb in the last 2 days). I think you could eat a little more than you are because you are younger and more active than I am.

adding in that much could mean weight gain or maintenance.

as for your weight loss I would question that...if it was actual weight or water weight because 7lbs in 10days...yah
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @Francl27 what changes did you make recently that helped with your ravenous appetite?
  • jenniator
    Options
    Do you feel this way when you eat more fiber? 26 grams is just a touch over the recommended amount. Some people (including myself) find fiber to me very filling. I notice on days when I eat more, I feel much better.

To be honest, my fiber has always been pretty low. I added more vegetables and oatmeal to boost the fiber. I've tried eating whole-grain crackers which have a lot of fiber, but I haven't found it helps with the hunger. My protein and fat are pretty great though which I heard also helps with fullness.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    I agree fiber is crucial. Chia/flax seeds, oat bran, veggies provide some, beans are also high in fiber.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

as for your weight loss I would question that...if it was actual weight or water weight because 7lbs in 10days...yah

It didn't mean weight gain. Or maintenance. It's a moderate deficit, with moderate exercise. The same scale I've always used, and a loss as described. I'll be doing this same thing until Saturday, so I'll see what my body does by then. If I want to maintain after that, I'll need to eat a little more. I was maintaining before I dropped my cals to 1700. And thus my answer.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

It didn't mean weight gain. Or maintenance. It's a moderate deficit, with moderate exercise. The same scale I've always used, and a loss as described. I'll be doing this same thing until Saturday, so I'll see what my body does by then. If I want to maintain after that, I'll need to eat a little more. I was maintaining before I dropped my cals to 1700. And thus my answer.

you told the OP to add in more food that's what I am talking about.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You mention being off the wagon since Xmas. Did you have a free eating (cheat) day that day? For me, when I do take a day to eat what I want in the amounts I want, I'm hungrier the next few days I get back to a deficit. Doesn't matter how much fibre, fat, or protein I eat either. What I do is cut back slowly and try not to be upset at myself about it. I'm just coming off a cheat day on Monday and it's been hard to not eat a couple of Fibre 1 bars in the afternoon. (Before anyone jumps on that, I mean fitting them into my whole day which means cutting back on other planned meals by 300+ calories.)

You might try getting in more fat and see if that helps. Oils, full fat dairy, cheese, peanut butter/nut butters, etc..
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just some ideas:

Maybe you're a volume eater? Try bulking up some of your foods (add zuchinni noodles in with your spaghetti to make it look like twice the amount of food, without twice the calories, etc).

Eat more fat. I personally find fat incredibly satiating. Sub out your cereal or oatmeal for something similar but with more fat- Avocado toast, eggs and cheese, cheese and apples?

Try different things until you figure out what makes you personally the most satisfied!
  • jenniator
    Options

Thanks :D I've been trying pretty hard even though I'm failing ha ha. I mean fallen off the wagon as in I can't stop eating even though I know I'm going over my calorie limit and even my daily caloire maintenance level. I still do track my food which makes it worse since my maintance level non-active is 1,800 calories and it sucks when I see my calories go into 2,000. But at leas I'm awake of it :)

I should mention that on days I go to the gym I do eat more, but I do try to stay around 1,400-1,500 calories including half of my exercise calories. But today I didn't go to the gym, so there shouldn't be any reason I need to eat more even though I'm starving.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fats and protein keep you feeling fuller longer.

and I wonder is it hunger? you mention appetite? not hunger?

Feel like you are starving? but you aren't...

maybe just readjust your inner dialogue...

sounds like you are craving something and haven't allowed it or you are bored.

I do eat a lot of fat and protein which is great. It could be my inner dialogue and mind playing tricks. But it's terrible, my stomach keeps growing so loud that everyone can hear it, I get intense hunger pains, and they only get worse. Even when I drink plenty of water, it does nothing to help it :( Also I haven't restricted myself in terms of food. If I want something, I have it and make it fit LOL! But lately I've been trying to make my snack more meaningful like oatmeal since junk food like cookies or chips do nothing to help with the hunger.
  • jenniator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't find carbs from flour (unlike carbs from foods like legumes) especially filling, so when I eat flour products I have to eat a higher percentage of protein in order to feel full.

I eat back half the exercise calories :D The machine at my gym says for 90 minutes on the elliptical, I burn 1,000 calories, so I estimate it could be 500 calories. So I eat about 250 to 350 back.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

These phrases say a lot.

insane appetite <>hunger
    I just can't stop eating and I feel like I'm never satisfied.<>hunger
    I can't stop eating.
    I feel like I'm always starving
    motivation to keep losing weight has almost vanished
    I've become depressed

you aren't hungry you are eating because you are missing something you want or because you just are giving up...

no extra food or different food is gonna change that...you have to change it.

you either want to weigh 130 or you don't.

at this point I don't think you want it bad enough.

A cheat day or even a week (and Yes i have them) isn't enough to derail me.

I gain over the holidays, I get back on the wagon, I gain on vacation, I get back on the wagon. End of story.

Now either get back on the wagon or gain the weight back your choice.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

Thanks :D I've been trying pretty hard even though I'm failing ha ha. I mean fallen off the wagon as in I can't stop eating even though I know I'm going over my calorie limit and even my daily caloire maintenance level. I still do track my food which makes it worse since my maintance level non-active is 1,800 calories and it sucks when I see my calories go into 2,000. But at leas I'm awake of it :)

I should mention that on days I go to the gym I do eat more, but I do try to stay around 1,400-1,500 calories including half of my exercise calories. But today I didn't go to the gym, so there shouldn't be any reason I need to eat more even though I'm starving.

I don't know what time zone you're in, so don't know what you've eaten so far. But I'd be hungry after your typical lunch and snack, because those meals don't have enough protein for me.
  • jenniator
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    You mention being off the wagon since Xmas. Did you have a free eating (cheat) day that day? For me, when I do take a day to eat what I want in the amounts I want, I'm hungrier the next few days I get back to a deficit. Doesn't matter how much fibre, fat, or protein I eat either. What I do is cut back slowly and try not to be upset at myself about it. I'm just coming off a cheat day on Monday and it's been hard to not eat a couple of Fibre 1 bars in the afternoon. (Before anyone jumps on that, I mean fitting them into my whole day which means cutting back on other planned meals by 300+ calories.)

You might try getting in more fat and see if that helps. Oils, full fat dairy, cheese, peanut butter/nut butters, etc..

Yeah for Christmas and New Years, I did free eat for a few days. Normally having a free eating or few cheat days doesn't mess me up and I'm able to get right back on the wagon the next day or next few days. I never had a problem doing so. So it really is strange, but it did happen right after that. I have tried increasing to maintenance and slowly going back down to 1,400-1,500 calories, but even at maintenance I still am always hunger.