Always starving and hungry?

Options

Replies

• caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even relatively lean cuts of beef like sirloin have a ton of fat compared to chicken. I LOVE steak but I only eat it once a week and I have to watch the portions when I'm trying to lose fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    For me personally (and I know everyone is different) I would cut out the spaghetti for example and include an equal calorie amount of veggies instead. I also don't eat pb, just doesn't fill me enough for the calories. But I'm definitely a volume eater, so if this kind of eating has always worked for you in the past (and you don;t want to increase calories a little bit) you might unfortunately just have to tough it out for a little bit, until your body stops giving you these strong hunger signals.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Cut the pasta and maybe even the oatmeal, take in a bit more protein and double the veg. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with carbs and pasta but hey...You might be a volume eater like us OP. You can look up volumetrics to get more of an idea.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd be hungry too. Your meals aren't very high volume. Have you ever tried higher volume eating? I would keep my calories around the same but increasing protein and fiber through doubling the amount of vegetables. Also, not all of us are kept full on carbs in the am. Try switching your macros around throughout the day.

I actually do think my meals are high volume except for the oatmeal snack but even that use to help keep me full. In the morning, I get a huge plate of chicken, veggies and pasta. For lunch I get a huge amount of yoghurt with fruit, and high fiber cereal. Then my dinners are the most calories, so they take up the whole flipping plate ha ha xD I tried reducing the amount of carbs I eat and using more veggies, but I found a balance between protein, carbs, and veggies satisfy me the most. :) Also I do get 91 grams of protein per day which I think is quiet a bit.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    I'd be hungry too. Your meals aren't very high volume. Have you ever tried higher volume eating? I would keep my calories around the same but increasing protein and fiber through doubling the amount of vegetables. Also, not all of us are kept full on carbs in the am. Try switching your macros around throughout the day.

I actually do think my meals are high volume except for the oatmeal snack but even that use to help keep me full. In the morning, I get a huge plate of chicken, veggies and pasta. For lunch I get a huge amount of yoghurt with fruit, and high fiber cereal. Then my dinners are the most calories, so they take up the whole flipping plate ha ha xD I tried reducing the amount of carbs I eat and using more veggies, but I found a balance between protein, carbs, and veggies satisfy me the most. :) Also I do get 91 grams of protein per day which I think is quiet a bit.

But you just said you aren't satisfied. 90 grams of protein is okay but it's not "quite a bit". I'm 140lbs and get 130 grams of protein in less calories.

And by high volume...I mean I eat my meals out of a mixing bowl. 400grams of zucchini and squash, and a couple hundred grams of other veg. If I made a salad its a full 200g of greens.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Sounds like you're not into it so hope you find something else :)
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »
    Even relatively lean cuts of beef like sirloin have a ton of fat compared to chicken. I LOVE steak but I only eat it once a week and I have to watch the portions when I'm trying to lose fat.

Yeah beef does have a lot of fat in it, but I don't mind as long as it fits into my calories. Funny enough, most nights we actually eat chicken! But tonight was a night we decided to have spaghetti ha ha. So my levels are normally lower.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options

But you just said you aren't satisfied. 90 grams of protein is okay but it's not "quite a bit". I'm 140lbs and get 130 grams of protein in less calories.

And by high volume...I mean I eat my meals out of a mixing bowl. 400grams of zucchini and squash, and a couple hundred grams of other veg. If I made a salad its a full 200g of greens.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Sounds like you're not into it so hope you find something else :)

The strange part is I ate the same breakfast and lunch, similar dinner (Protein, carb, veggie) for a year and half. I've always been satisfied and never starving. It's just the past 3 months this happened. I always thought 91 grams of protein was a lot, but I guess it's not ha ha. I use to eat a huge bowl salad bowl with veggies and meat, but I got bored of it after a week and found it didn't satisfy me. I also tried cutting out more carbs and adding more veggies. It's strange but I noticed a ton of veggies never keep me full or satisfied. I always need a good chunk of carb or fat with it. I find that carbs and protein are more filling than veggies, but maybe that's just me? But it might be a good idea to cut out the oatmeal for another option. I would need to find something with steamed veggies since I absolutely hate salad bowls. but I love baked or steamed veggies ha ha xD I always loved my diet routine since I never get tired of the food and I absolutely love how super simple, easy, and fast they are to make.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cottage cheese in place of yogurt? When I eat 2 cups of 2% cottage cheese for lunch it keeps me full until dinner time. It's only 360 calories. It's kind of boring, but it's crazy how not hungry I am the rest of the day. Anything else for lunch and I'm ready to eat my arm off for dinner.
  • jenniator
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Maybe try cottage cheese in place of yogurt? When I eat 2 cups of 2% cottage cheese for lunch it keeps me full until dinner time. It's only 360 calories. It's kind of boring, but it's crazy how not hungry I am the rest of the day. Anything else for lunch and I'm ready to eat my arm off for dinner.

Great suggestion :D But unfortunately I just can't stomach the taste for cottage cheese ha ha. I have heard it's filling though!
  • arditarose
    Options

The strange part is I ate the same breakfast and lunch, similar dinner (Protein, carb, veggie) for a year and half. I've always been satisfied and never starving. It's just the past 3 months this happened. I always thought 91 grams of protein was a lot, but I guess it's not ha ha. I use to eat a huge bowl salad bowl with veggies and meat, but I got bored of it after a week and found it didn't satisfy me. I also tried cutting out more carbs and adding more veggies. It's strange but I noticed a ton of veggies never keep me full or satisfied. I always need a good chunk of carb or fat with it. I find that carbs and protein are more filling than veggies, but maybe that's just me? But it might be a good idea to cut out the oatmeal for another option. I would need to find something with steamed veggies since I absolutely hate salad bowls. but I love baked or steamed veggies ha ha xD

Well, you know your body. If you don't think veggies keep you full I believe you lol. Mess around with the macro makeup throughout the day. I prefer to carb backload, so most of my carb intake is in the evening before bed. If I eat them upon waking, I'll get hungry. This is all personal anecdote crap but I'm just trying to give you examples. Also, getting your carbs from pasta and fiber from cereal is not high volume eating lol. It would literally be the other way around-carbs and fiber from veg. Extra protein :)

Also has your activity level changed over the past 3 months? Sorry if you already stated that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    It seems you are bound and determined to lose more than a pound a week or take a 25% deficit off TDEE. How about you try this, back off to a 20% of TDEE or .75 to 1 pound a week goal for a while. I was going to suggest maintenance for 3-4 week, but maybe try backing off the aggressive weight loss goal for 3-4 weeks. There is much to be said in favor of a break from trying to lose weight.

Another option is figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight and eat that. It will still be a deficit, but likely not a large as you are running now. The advantage of this is that the amount you are eating is what you will be eating, no switching to maintenance when you get there. Again, the goal is to loosen up on the calorie deficit for a while to give you brain and body a break while not going into a surplus.

Finally I noticed you said that when the elliptical saying 1000 calories you log it as 500 and then only eat 200-300 of those IIRC. If that is the case I would not be surprised you are hungry as that is eating 20-30% of your exercise calories, 500 would be 50%.

Overall I think you are likely being too aggressive in your weight loss goal and need to slow it down maybe just for a while, maybe until you reach your goal.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    And by high volume...I mean I eat my meals out of a mixing bowl.

It's funny how after you've eaten that way for a while, a giant bowl of veggies starts to feel like an indulgent feast... :-)
  • arditarose
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »
    And by high volume...I mean I eat my meals out of a mixing bowl.

It's funny how after you've eaten that way for a while, a giant bowl of veggies starts to feel like an indulgent feast... :-)

Yeah I tried to get fancy with my meal planning this week and ended up with something that barely filled the tupperware. I was so disappointed. Definitely going back to entire bag of greens with protein and hot sauce lol.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    90 grams of protein is okay but it's not "quite a bit". I'm 140lbs and get 130 grams of protein in less calories.

Hiiiiiiii! :D

H3F0dBk.jpg
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options

The strange part is I ate the same breakfast and lunch, similar dinner (Protein, carb, veggie) for a year and half. I've always been satisfied and never starving. It's just the past 3 months this happened. I always thought 91 grams of protein was a lot, but I guess it's not ha ha. I use to eat a huge bowl salad bowl with veggies and meat, but I got bored of it after a week and found it didn't satisfy me. I also tried cutting out more carbs and adding more veggies. It's strange but I noticed a ton of veggies never keep me full or satisfied. I always need a good chunk of carb or fat with it. I find that carbs and protein are more filling than veggies, but maybe that's just me? But it might be a good idea to cut out the oatmeal for another option. I would need to find something with steamed veggies since I absolutely hate salad bowls. but I love baked or steamed veggies ha ha xD

Well, you know your body. If you don't think veggies keep you full I believe you lol. Mess around with the macro makeup throughout the day. I prefer to carb backload, so most of my carb intake is in the evening before bed. If I eat them upon waking, I'll get hungry. This is all personal anecdote crap but I'm just trying to give you examples. Also, getting your carbs from pasta and fiber from cereal is not high volume eating lol. It would literally be the other way around-carbs and fiber from veg. Extra protein :)

Also has your activity level changed over the past 3 months? Sorry if you already stated that.

I have been messing around with the macro's and I always am to see what works best :) I always love carbs in the morning since that is what helps fuel me through through my gym work out and keeps me going. I feel sluggish and get tired easier if I'm only eating protein with veggies before the gym. In the Netherlands, it's normal to always eat carbs at dinner which isn't a problem for me since I love carbs and I fit them into my goal xD I don't mean the carbs are high volume. But in the morning I make 100 grams of crispy chicken with 130 grams of veggies which make a huge plate, then the 25 grams of pasta makes it a bit more :D Then the 200 grams of yoghurt and 120 grams of fruit is a lot, but I love the cereal for crunch and more fiber. For dinner I add 50 to 55 grams of carbs which really helps bulk the meal on top of my 150 gram of protein and 200 gram of veggies :) It fills up the whole plate! I did increase my exercise to 90 minutes, but I always do that for a few months after the holidays to get rid of the extra weight. Normally I only do it for 1-2 months and I've never had a problem bouncing back or getting back on track. But this time it's difficult which is strange. Someone mentioned that my macros look great, but the problem could be that I'm under eating by a lot and my goal of 1.2-1.5 pounds is too aggressive, so I'm wondering if that could be true. I didn't think 1,400-1,500 calories were considered low, but maybe they could be, even if I do eat back some of my exercise calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    90 grams of protein is okay but it's not "quite a bit". I'm 140lbs and get 130 grams of protein in less calories.

Hiiiiiiii! :D

H3F0dBk.jpg

Oh baby. Taste the macros.
  • arditarose
    Options

I have been messing around with the macro's and I always am to see what works best :) I always love carbs in the morning since that is what helps fuel me through through my gym work out and keeps me going. I feel sluggish and get tired easier if I'm only eating protein with veggies before the gym. In the Netherlands, it's normal to always eat carbs at dinner which isn't a problem for me since I love carbs and I fit them into my goal xD I don't mean the carbs are high volume. But in the morning I make 100 grams of crispy chicken with 130 grams of veggies which make a huge plate, then the 25 grams of pasta makes it a bit more :D Then the 200 grams of yoghurt and 120 grams of fruit is a lot, but I love the cereal for crunch and more fiber. For dinner I add 50 to 55 grams of carbs which really helps bulk the meal on top of my 150 gram of protein and 200 gram of veggies :) It fills up the whole plate! I did increase my exercise to 90 minutes, but I always do that for a few months after the holidays to get rid of the extra weight. Normally I only do it for 1-2 months and I've never had a problem bouncing back or getting back on track. But this time it's difficult which is strange. Someone mentioned that my macros look great, but the problem could be that I'm under eating by a lot and my goal of 1.2-1.5 pounds is too aggressive, so I'm wondering if that could be true. I didn't think 1,400-1,500 calories were considered low, but maybe they could be, even if I do eat back some of my exercise calories.

So you're exercising more. Eat back some calories, take a less aggressive deficit for awhile. Try a flat out 1 lb per week. Cycle your calories. Lots of options :)
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It seems you are bound and determined to lose more than a pound a week or take a 25% deficit off TDEE. How about you try this, back off to a 20% of TDEE or .75 to 1 pound a week goal for a while. I was going to suggest maintenance for 3-4 week, but maybe try backing off the aggressive weight loss goal for 3-4 weeks. There is much to be said in favor of a break from trying to lose weight.

Another option is figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight and eat that. It will still be a deficit, but likely not a large as you are running now. The advantage of this is that the amount you are eating is what you will be eating, no switching to maintenance when you get there. Again, the goal is to loosen up on the calorie deficit for a while to give you brain and body a break while not going into a surplus.

Finally I noticed you said that when the elliptical saying 1000 calories you log it as 500 and then only eat 200-300 of those IIRC. If that is the case I would not be surprised you are hungry as that is eating 20-30% of your exercise calories, 500 would be 50%.

Overall I think you are likely being too aggressive in your weight loss goal and need to slow it down maybe just for a while, maybe until you reach your goal.

That's something I've been really curious about. Is 25% defict (1.2-1.5 lbs) per week considered to be aggressive? I always heard that for around my weight that 1.2-1.5 wasn't considered aggressive, but 2 pounds was. So that's why I'm so curious since I heard it's doable and realistic. I mean of course I want to lose 1.2-1.5 pounds per week instead of .7-1 pound since I still have quiet a bit left to lose. But that's why I'm wondering if I'm aiming too high for someone of my stats. The 20% defict is worth a try and it might be better for me since then I will be able to eat more and not feel deprived. But it does suck that I will lose weight a lot slower. Although it might be worth it if it's more maintainable and it would be a nice break. I actually have been eating at maintenance level or a bit above for the past 3 months which explained why I'm not losing any weight and I gained some, so I really don't want to keep staying here ha ha :) Yeah my elliptical says I burn 1,000 calories. I always log it as 500 calories since I heard the estimated burning rate on ellipticals are really off and they can be up to 40-50% wrong! So I heard it's better to take half the calories that the monitor says as the total you burned so you never over eat your deficy, so I take 500. Then I always eat half or a bit more, around 250-350 calories.
  • jenniator
    Options

So you're exercising more. Eat back some calories, take a less aggressive deficit for awhile. Try a flat out 1 lb per week. Cycle your calories. Lots of options :)

Yeah I am exercising more, but it was mostly meant to be temporary, just to create extra deficy to get rid of the holiday weight ha ha. It's something I always do after the holidays to lose the holiday weight quicker. Then I always go back to 60 minutes of working out on the elliptical instead of 90 minutes. Normally I've never had a problem, but it's just this time. But maybe it is too aggressive and I should cut back down to 60 minutes and maybe eat a bit more, aim for 1 lb per week even though it is a lot slower.
  • arditarose
    Options

Yeah I am exercising more, but it was mostly meant to be temporary, just to create extra deficy to get rid of the holiday weight ha ha. It's something I always do after the holidays to lose the holiday weight quicker. Then I always go back to 60 minutes of working out on the elliptical instead of 90 minutes. Normally I've never had a problem, but it's just this time. But maybe it is too aggressive and I should cut back down to 60 minutes and maybe eat a bit more, aim for 1 lb per week even though it is a lot slower.

I personally have better success at keeping a deficit with moderate to zero cardio. But yeah. You have a lot of options here. Just because it was okay for you last year doesn't mean it will be this year!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, if the diet was too hard to stick to such that you spent three months in maintenance, then yes, that probably is too aggressive for you.

Pay attention to the times of the day you're hungry - do you need to adjust meal timing? Pay attention to meals that make you feel sated for longer versus meals that don't.

I personally make one sating meal the core of my day, and plan the rest of my meals around it. Those meals tend to be high in proteins or starches, and lower in fats, but really I don't go by macros, I go by how I feel after I eat the meal and when I get hungry again.