Always starving and hungry?

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree fiber is crucial. Chia/flax seeds, oat bran, veggies provide some, beans are also high in fiber.

I do have Chia seeds which I use to add in oatmeal, but I like chocolate and peanut butter better so I haven't been using them ha ha xD But my All-Bran cereal is pretty high in fiber I though.
  • jenniator
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Just some ideas:

Maybe you're a volume eater? Try bulking up some of your foods (add zuchinni noodles in with your spaghetti to make it look like twice the amount of food, without twice the calories, etc).

Eat more fat. I personally find fat incredibly satiating. Sub out your cereal or oatmeal for something similar but with more fat- Avocado toast, eggs and cheese, cheese and apples?

Try different things until you figure out what makes you personally the most satisfied!

I am a volume eater, but my food always is a lot and has kept me satisfied in the past so it's strange. I don't eat plain cereal, I add it into my yoghurt for crunch and extra fiber :) I have tried many different things and found these foods to keep me full the longest. Eggs and cheese don't do anything for me. I have tried avocado with toast and it didn't make me full after either. I do have appels with peanut butter for snacks which help for 30 minutes. I have been trying a lot of different combinations and nothing seems to keep me satisfied.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me personally (and I know everyone is different) I would cut out the spaghetti for example and include an equal calorie amount of veggies instead. I also don't eat pb, just doesn't fill me enough for the calories. But I'm definitely a volume eater, so if this kind of eating has always worked for you in the past (and you don;t want to increase calories a little bit) you might unfortunately just have to tough it out for a little bit, until your body stops giving you these strong hunger signals.
  • jenniator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hello, I think your meals look really good. Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing!
    In what way have you fallen off the wagon? Are you tracking your food intake? It looks like you are from your post.

From the information given I would suggest actually increasing your food intake. You sound very active. I think you could add in another meal, another 400-600 cals of similar macros to what you are already eating.

For some comparison, I am much older than you (I'm 47) and am currently getting ready for a beach/skiing vacay, and am in a deficit (I eat LCHF and fiber). I am 5'7" and am eating 1700 cals per day, and burn about 500 cals on most days lifting and walking, some cycling. In the past 10 days I've lost 7lbs (6 lbs the first 8 days, 1 lb in the last 2 days). I think you could eat a little more than you are because you are younger and more active than I am.

Thanks :D I've been trying pretty hard even though I'm failing ha ha. I mean fallen off the wagon as in I can't stop eating even though I know I'm going over my calorie limit and even my daily caloire maintenance level. I still do track my food which makes it worse since my maintance level non-active is 1,800 calories and it sucks when I see my calories go into 2,000. But at leas I'm awake of it :)

I should mention that on days I go to the gym I do eat more, but I do try to stay around 1,400-1,500 calories including half of my exercise calories. But today I didn't go to the gym, so there shouldn't be any reason I need to eat more even though I'm starving.

I don't know what time zone you're in, so don't know what you've eaten so far. But I'd be hungry after your typical lunch and snack, because those meals don't have enough protein for me.

I'm in the Netherlands, so it's already 8 PM ha ha :) getting ready to have dinner soon, it's planned out. I actually thought the lunch had good protein and fiber with the yoghurt, fruit, and cereal. It usually always keeps me full. The oatmeal is lacking a bit, but it's delicious, helps with my chocolate cravings, and i heard oatmeal usually keeps people fuller since it digests slower.
  • jenniator
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    For me personally (and I know everyone is different) I would cut out the spaghetti for example and include an equal calorie amount of veggies instead. I also don't eat pb, just doesn't fill me enough for the calories. But I'm definitely a volume eater, so if this kind of eating has always worked for you in the past (and you don;t want to increase calories a little bit) you might unfortunately just have to tough it out for a little bit, until your body stops giving you these strong hunger signals.

I actually find a mix of carbs and veggies to be the most filling. I tried just protein and veggies, but it satisfies me a lot less. The carbs especially help before my work out too. I have been trying to tough it out and see if things return back to normal, but I was hoping they would after almost 3 months.
  • jenniator
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hello, I think your meals look really good. Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing!
    In what way have you fallen off the wagon? Are you tracking your food intake? It looks like you are from your post.

From the information given I would suggest actually increasing your food intake. You sound very active. I think you could add in another meal, another 400-600 cals of similar macros to what you are already eating.

For some comparison, I am much older than you (I'm 47) and am currently getting ready for a beach/skiing vacay, and am in a deficit (I eat LCHF and fiber). I am 5'7" and am eating 1700 cals per day, and burn about 500 cals on most days lifting and walking, some cycling. In the past 10 days I've lost 7lbs (6 lbs the first 8 days, 1 lb in the last 2 days). I think you could eat a little more than you are because you are younger and more active than I am.

adding in that much could mean weight gain or maintenance.

as for your weight loss I would question that...if it was actual weight or water weight because 7lbs in 10days...yah

I should mention the 7lb weight gain is from Christmas until now because I've been eating more than I burn, not just in all in10 days ha ha xD
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    You mention being off the wagon since Xmas. Did you have a free eating (cheat) day that day? For me, when I do take a day to eat what I want in the amounts I want, I'm hungrier the next few days I get back to a deficit. Doesn't matter how much fibre, fat, or protein I eat either. What I do is cut back slowly and try not to be upset at myself about it. I'm just coming off a cheat day on Monday and it's been hard to not eat a couple of Fibre 1 bars in the afternoon. (Before anyone jumps on that, I mean fitting them into my whole day which means cutting back on other planned meals by 300+ calories.)

You might try getting in more fat and see if that helps. Oils, full fat dairy, cheese, peanut butter/nut butters, etc..

Yeah for Christmas and New Years, I did free eat for a few days. Normally having a free eating or few cheat days doesn't mess me up and I'm able to get right back on the wagon the next day or next few days. I never had a problem doing so. So it really is strange, but it did happen right after that. I have tried increasing to maintenance and slowly going back down to 1,400-1,500 calories, but even at maintenance I still am always hunger.

So you are tracking somewhere besides MFP?
    Have you gained weight?
    Do you track body measurements? Have they increased?
    Do you have plenty of energy for your workouts, or do you feel like you are getting less active?
    Eating adequately will fuel your day and your workouts. Eating at a little deficit will cause your body to dip into your fat reserves for fuel...that's the goal.
    I'm still thinking you are not eating enough, that your calorie goal is way too low.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    It's odd that you are THAT hungry all of the sudden. Have you ever had acid re-flux issues? I read recently (and I believe there was a thread here about it) that acid re-flux symptoms can sometimes be felt as hunger. I can't remember the exact explanation, sorry. I'll try to do a little research.
  • jenniator
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

These phrases say a lot.

insane appetite <>hunger
    I just can't stop eating and I feel like I'm never satisfied.<>hunger
    I can't stop eating.
    I feel like I'm always starving
    motivation to keep losing weight has almost vanished
    I've become depressed

you aren't hungry you are eating because you are missing something you want or because you just are giving up...

no extra food or different food is gonna change that...you have to change it.

you either want to weigh 130 or you don't.

at this point I don't think you want it bad enough.

A cheat day or even a week (and Yes i have them) isn't enough to derail me.

I gain over the holidays, I get back on the wagon, I gain on vacation, I get back on the wagon. End of story.

Now either get back on the wagon or gain the weight back your choice.

I don't feel like I'm missing something or bored. I'm not ready to give up yet either. I'm still dedicated. I mean heck I've still been going to the gym 5 days a week every week even though I haven't been losing anything. That's becasuse I'm trying to get my appetite under control and I'm still trying. I always include cheat days at least once or twice a week where I go eat at maintance level. During the holidays I always gain weight, but it's never been a problem for me since I just get back on the next day and lose the extra weight I gained.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, how long have you been "back on the wagon?" Are there certain weeks that you feel more hungry than others? Are any of those weeks coinciding with your cycle? I find that I'm super hungry the week before my cycle & the week I'm ovulating. You could be the same.

Is your exercise more intense than it used to be?

Maybe you need to eat more often while eating the same amount of calories, say breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. It could help. I find that I do better the more often I eat b/c if I find I'm getting hungry again, I know another meal/snack is right around the corner.
  • DebDesautels
    DebDesautels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, we're about the same size and I've been following these recommendations provided to me by a nutritionist/health coach - 1800 calories, 50% carbs (no more than 45g sugar), 20% protein, 30% fat (no more than 14g saturated). I also try to get at least 30g of fiber a day and try to keep to < 2,000mg sodium. I do about 3-4 cardio sessions a week (45-60 minutes) and 1-2 interval sessions with weights & quick cardio hits.

Since I started following the guidelines she gave me about 5-6 weeks ago, I've been consistently losing about a pound a week (sometimes 2) and am rarely hungry. In fact, it's usually a challenge to get to 1800 calories a day while staying within the set parameters.

Before I worked with her, I was probably only eating 1200-1400 calories a day and a lot more protein. I wasn't losing weight and I was often hungry. I also wasn't working out as much so my improvements aren't just from diet change. I just thought I'd share since I've been in your shoes (frustrated and hungry!) and this is what's working for me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think your goal is too aggressive. I'm over 10 years more than you and never ate under 1650 calories while losing, and my activity was about the same overall.

Just to make sure though - are you weighing your pasta dry or cooked? Because it's supposed to be dry, so if you're weighing it cooked, you're eating less than you think (and if you're weighing it dry, it's probably too much pasta in one day for your goal, IMO, and I'd switch to whole grain pasta for more fiber).
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »

I actually find a mix of carbs and veggies to be the most filling. I tried just protein and veggies, but it satisfies me a lot less. The carbs especially help before my work out too. I have been trying to tough it out and see if things return back to normal, but I was hoping they would after almost 3 months.

Personally I found that bumping the protein and fat and cutting back the carbs a bit was very satisfying. Everyone has their own personal favorites but adding some bacon and an occasional fast food burger made me think of food less. I have these adjustments made on my base diet and if my workouts require more energy I do tend to go carb heavy to make up the difference but keeping in some fat seems to work. (for me)

Your calorie requirements look dead-on. Sadly this is what a person your size NEEDS if you're trying to cut some weight. It's up to you if that's important or not. If you must eat more then step up the exercise. That might be a path that works for you. Just don't give up yet.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you've been given some good advice regarding food. Protein tends to keep people satisfied longer and bulking up with fiber will help too. Plus, our stomachs stretch so it takes a bit after being off the wagon to shrink it back down.

But, I'm wondering if you've ever had your hormones checked. You've been so successful with diet these past few years that it sounds like you know what to do and you know your body. If you're noticing a drastic change in hunger it could be totally unrelated to your diet. It could be health related and if you've tried everything and nothing is helping you should see your doctor and get checked.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Every time I've gotten frustrated with my progress, it was because I was being too casual with measuring the stuff I was putting in my mouth. Use a digital scale, and weigh as much as possible. Only measure liquids by volume, anything solid should be weighed on a digital kitchen scale if possible. Don't forget to account for any drinks (especially alcohol), cooking oil, butter on your toast, etc.

I've just started adding refeed days into my diet, so I can't really tell whether they work for me yet. But there are a lot of people I respect who swear by them. I wrote up a more detailed description of refeeds here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/caurinus/view/i-learned-something-interesting-about-metabolism-today-819261
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thought of a couple more things. First, something that helped me with feelings of hunger was drinking a lot of strong green tea. I didn't care for the taste of it at first, but now I really like it.

Your body might be signaling that it's not getting enough of something, often carbs or protein if you're hitting the gym pretty hard. Maybe I miscalculated, but I'm only seeing 1349 calories with these macros?

You said 91g protein (364 calories, 27%), 146g carbs (584 cals, 43%), and 44.6g fat (401 calories, 30%).

Based on your current macros, the first thing I would try is to reduce your fat intake a little and use those calories to add in some more lean protein -- get fat closer to 20% of calories (but no less than 20%), and protein closer to 40%.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate everyone's opinion! I realized in my first post i said I was 5'5, but I meant 5'4 (164 cm). Someone asked if I weigh my pasta and grains dry and I do. I also weigh everything with a food scale to make sure my calories are accurate :) That's how I already know I'm eating too much besides gaining more weight ha ha. I have my settings set to losing 1.5 lbs, working out 4 times a week for 60 minutes, and MFP says I should be eating 1,440 calories. I have upped my exercise a bit in the last few months because I wanted to get rid of the"extra weight that I gained" off over the holidays faster which is something I do for about one or two months after the holidays. I always do that after the holidays and never had a problem, but maybe this time it could be causing the problem? Normally I work out on the elliptical for 60 minutes 5 days a week. But I bumped it up to 90 minutes 3 months ago. I also eat back half my exercise calories, so I wouldn't think that could be causing me to become over hungry. I also been exercising that way for 3 months, so I thought my body might've adjusted to the high level of activity.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Crazy thought: have you had a pregnancy test?
  • jenniator
    Options
    For what it's worth, we're about the same size and I've been following these recommendations provided to me by a nutritionist/health coach - 1800 calories, 50% carbs (no more than 45g sugar), 20% protein, 30% fat (no more than 14g saturated). I also try to get at least 30g of fiber a day and try to keep to < 2,000mg sodium. I do about 3-4 cardio sessions a week (45-60 minutes) and 1-2 interval sessions with weights & quick cardio hits.

Since I started following the guidelines she gave me about 5-6 weeks ago, I've been consistently losing about a pound a week (sometimes 2) and am rarely hungry. In fact, it's usually a challenge to get to 1800 calories a day while staying within the set parameters.

Before I worked with her, I was probably only eating 1200-1400 calories a day and a lot more protein. I wasn't losing weight and I was often hungry. I also wasn't working out as much so my improvements aren't just from diet change. I just thought I'd share since I've been in your shoes (frustrated and hungry!) and this is what's working for me!

I meant I'm 5'4 (164 cm), not 5'5. But still pretty similar :) My maintenance level without exercise is 1,800 calories, so I couldn't eat that much. On days that I do exercise, I've been doing 90 minutes on the elliptical. On those days I do eat half my exercise calories back. The machine says I burn 1,000 calories which I don't follow since there always wrong. So I estimate 500 calories burn. So I normally eat back 250-350 calories back. So my daily calories are higher. Even with that, I have no problem eating over 2,000 calories excluding exercise calories ha ha xD But of course I've been trying to stay below 2,000. Maybe cutting back on the exercise might be a good idea, I'm not sure if that could be my issue. But I've been working out for 90 minutes for 3 months, so I'm not sure if my body would've adjusted by now.
  • transitofvenus
    transitofvenus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your recommended calorie levels anywhere other than MFP? It might be that your target calories are off for your activity level. Maybe try calculating your TDEE including your workouts and see how that compares to your current calorie goals?

If everything's calculated right and it's just feeling hungry all the time, I've found that tea is really helpful for feeling satisfied even when you're super hungry. Black and green teas have caffeine, which is great for appetite suppression, and tea is so flexible as far as flavors, strength, caffeine, and how you drink it (e.g. warm with milk, iced, mixed with fruit, etc) that it stays interesting while filling you up. With no sugar or milk (or even just a little splash of whole milk) tea is a great low-calorie way to feel fuller.