Always starving and hungry?

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2016
    zyxst wrote: »
    Crazy thought: have you had a pregnancy test?

Oh gosh!!! Never even crossed my mind since I'm on the depo shot for three years ha ha. I would love children in a few years, but I want to lose the weight first. I also haven't had any symptoms besides extreme hunger. I'm sure it wouldn't be that :) I think I'm just a heavy eater.
  • jenniator
    Have you calculated your recommended calorie levels anywhere other than MFP? It might be that your target calories are off for your activity level. Maybe try calculating your TDEE including your workouts and see how that compares to your current calorie goals?

If everything's calculated right and it's just feeling hungry all the time, I've found that tea is really helpful for feeling satisfied even when you're super hungry. Black and green teas have caffeine, which is great for appetite suppression, and tea is so flexible as far as flavors, strength, caffeine, and how you drink it (e.g. warm with milk, iced, mixed with fruit, etc) that it stays interesting while filling you up. With no sugar or milk (or even just a little splash of whole milk) tea is a great low-calorie way to feel fuller.

I have calculated my TDEE on other sites, mostly because I was curious and they all were about the same :) I have bumped up my exercise a bit for a few months which is something I do normally after the holidays to lose the extra weight I gained. I agree with you that tea is super satisfying and helps a lot with the hunger! I drink 2 liters of tea every day since I don't like water and I love drinking tea. I know I would be a lot hungrier if I wasn't drinking tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well what I'd do is figure out your TDEE and eat at a 20% deficit... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ gives you 1964 a day to lose 1 pound a week (moderately active setting)... so I'm not really shocked that you're starving if you're only eating 1400 a day (even if you eat 300 calories back 5x a week... that's still really a big deficit considering that your TDEE is probably 2400-2500).

I assume you're not logging your food on MFP though because your diary is empty so it's hard to see how much you're really eating.

But anyway... yeah you're eating way too little IMO.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Just putting this out there. Do you take a multivitamin? Could you possibly just be experiencing your body telling you it is deficient in some things and trying to get extra nutrition via more food?

Are you getting enough water?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well what I'd do is figure out your TDEE and eat at a 20% deficit... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ gives you 1964 a day to lose 1 pound a week (moderately active setting)... so I'm not really shocked that you're starving if you're only eating 1400 a day (even if you eat 300 calories back 5x a week... that's still really a big deficit considering that your TDEE is probably 2400-2500).

I assume you're not logging your food on MFP though because your diary is empty so it's hard to see how much you're really eating.

Yes, this!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    So you're doing 450 minutes of cardio a week, and you're sure you're really only eating ~1470 calories every day? And you haven't lost any weight at all in the past... how long?

I don't know. I'll post some links that might help. Good luck!
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-break-through-weight-loss-plateaus/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118548811
    http://www.kylehuntfitness.com/refeed-overeating-to-enhance-fat-loss/
  • gervelo
    gervelo Posts: 1 Member
    I think it might be time to read some of tim noakes, or jeff volek. A total re think. You have done amazingly well to get this far though
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »

I tried the link and at a 25% deficit for my stats, it says to lose 1.2 lbs per week, I would need to go to 1581 calories. Which isn't very far off since on MFP, I put to lose 1.5 lbs eating around 1,400-1,500 calories. Female, 77 kg, 164cm, age 23, and 3-5 hours moderate exercise. Even if I put 5-6 hours of strenuous exercise, it still says 1581 calories to burn 1.4 lbs per week. But it does says the TDEE is 2451. I didn't think trying to lose 1.2-1.5 lbs per week would be aggressive or starving myself? I know that losing 2 pounds for my weight is too overly aggressive, but I heard that for around my weight 1-1.5 lbs is doable. So I'm not sure. I also thought 1,400 to 1,500 calories per day wasn't considered too low. I had people doing 1,200 calories per day and they were telling me that my goal was too high! They also worked out and they didn't even eat back their exercise calories! But of course I could never live on 1,200 calories forever. Although maybe your right and I actually am starving my body to death because I'm simply eating too less? That would actually make the most sense since I'm constantly starving and always never satisfied. Although it is pretty strange since for the past year in a half, I've stayed around 1,400-1,500 calories and never had a problem until the last 3 months. It's funny because I feel ashamed and upset if I get to 1,600-1,700 calories (Not counting exercise calories) because I feel like I'm being a gluttonous pig. But it's strange it's just happened the last 3 months since I never had a problem before. Do you think 1.2-1.5 lbs is too aggressive for someone with my stats?
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    caurinus wrote: »
    So you're doing 450 minutes of cardio a week, and you're sure you're really only eating ~1470 calories every day? And you haven't lost any weight at all in the past... how long?

I don't know. I'll post some links that might help. Good luck!
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-break-through-weight-loss-plateaus/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118548811
    http://www.kylehuntfitness.com/refeed-overeating-to-enhance-fat-loss/

Sorry but I just wanted to clarify :) Before 3 months ago, I ate 1,400-1,500 calories per day for over a year and I was losing weight. I wasn't hungry and I was always satisfied with my meals. But the last 3 months, the same foods and calorie limit of 1,400 to 1,500 calories wasn't satisfying me at all and I was constantly starving. So I've been eating around my maintenance level and sometimes even above which resulted in my gaining 7 lbs in 3 months. Which is something I'm awake of since I track my calories. So I know no matter how much I exercise, it doesn't matter if I'm eating too much. I was curious as to why this sudden starvation started happening for no reason since I never had this problem before. I was wondering if I was lacking in a certain area or maybe not eating the right foods. My protein is super high which is great, my fat level is good since people say fat keeps you full, and my fiber is right on the recommended amount. The fiber could be higher and maybe it would help, but I've tried increasing my fiber before and never noticed any difference. Someone above mentioned that I've been eating too few calories for my stats and level of exercise. Maybe that could be the issue. Although it's strange it only just started affecting me.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Any new medications?
  • jenniator
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Any new medications?

Nope :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Could you possibly be pregnant?
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    It sounds like you need to get your mind right about the eating situation. Once you put your mind to it I bet the weight will start falling off again. You're probably bored on some level even though you don't realize it too. Maybe you can find a motivational quote or saying that will flip the switch again. Mine was Carrie Underwood believe it or not (might sound silly but it worked for me) and I haven't looked back. I've lost 20 lbs and still going strong. Good Luck!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    jenniator wrote: »
    So I've been eating around my maintenance level and sometimes even above which resulted in my gaining 7 lbs in 3 months.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. 7 lbs isn't that much. I have gained 5-6 pounds just in water weight when I switch from a calorie deficit to maintenance because of stored glycogen, and all of it will drop off again within 10 days after I go back to a calorie deficit.
    My protein is super high which is great
    I wouldn't call it super high at 27% of calories. I think protein keeps you full much better than fat does. Seriously, give 40% of calories from lean protein a try for a few days, keep the high fiber carbs, and cut fat back to 20% or so. Some days I'm double-checking my food diary to make sure I logged everything, because I am under my calorie goal for the day (at a 750 calorie deficit), but I'm not hungry.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

These phrases say a lot.

insane appetite <>hunger
    I just can't stop eating and I feel like I'm never satisfied.<>hunger
    I can't stop eating.
    I feel like I'm always starving
    motivation to keep losing weight has almost vanished
    I've become depressed

you aren't hungry you are eating because you are missing something you want or because you just are giving up...

no extra food or different food is gonna change that...you have to change it.

you either want to weigh 130 or you don't.

at this point I don't think you want it bad enough.

A cheat day or even a week (and Yes i have them) isn't enough to derail me.

I gain over the holidays, I get back on the wagon, I gain on vacation, I get back on the wagon. End of story.

Now either get back on the wagon or gain the weight back your choice.

This is a really smart comment.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    How many days in a row have you stuck to your 1400-1500 calories recently? If I have a cheat period of more than one meal, I can count on about 4 days of miserable hunger before I'm OK again, and that's if I stick EXACTLY to plan--if I keep bouncing up and down, the hunger never really settles down.
  • jenniator
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Could you possibly be pregnant?

I highly doubt it since I've been on the Depo shot for over 3 years. :)
  • jenniator
    caurinus wrote: »
    So I've been eating around my maintenance level and sometimes even above which resulted in my gaining 7 lbs in 3 months.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. 7 lbs isn't that much. I have gained 5-6 pounds just in water weight when I switch from a calorie deficit to maintenance because of stored glycogen, and all of it will drop off again within 10 days after I go back to a calorie deficit.
    My protein is super high which is great
    I wouldn't call it super high at 27% of calories. I think protein keeps you full much better than fat does. Seriously, give 40% of calories from lean protein a try for a few days, keep the high fiber carbs, and cut fat back to 20% or so. Some days I'm double-checking my food diary to make sure I logged everything, because I am under my calorie goal for the day (at a 750 calorie deficit), but I'm not hungry.

I'm glad to hear it might just be water weight since I've been freaking out about gaining 7 lbs in only 3 months ha ha xD So I'm hopeful that it will drop off soon :) I thought 91 grams of protein sounded like a huge amount, but I do find that a balance of protein, carbs, and veggies help keep me the fullest. I didn't realize my fat levels were so high. It's funny because I never intended for that. I even use cooking spray instead of olive oil or butter to cut down the fat level and to say a lot of calories. I'm not sure how I would get rid of more fat since none of my foods are really fatty or anything, just the numbers add up. I do admit though that almost all the fat comes from the ground beef, so my fat levels aren't always that high since I don't eat ground beef every night. I always switch off between chicken, pork, and beef of different varieties. That is amazing though! I've never been under my calorie goal and not hungry ha ha.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    How many days in a row have you stuck to your 1400-1500 calories recently? If I have a cheat period of more than one meal, I can count on about 4 days of miserable hunger before I'm OK again, and that's if I stick EXACTLY to plan--if I keep bouncing up and down, the hunger never really settles down.

I haven't been able to stick to 1,400 to 1,500 calories lately because of my insane hunger, but before 3 months ago, I could stick to it no problem! I was on 1,400-1,500 calories per day for over a year in a half! I would always have one or two days per week when I would eat at maintenance level or slightly above. I never had a problem getting right on track the next day or bouncing back, so it's really strange.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'd be hungry too. Your meals aren't very high volume. Have you ever tried higher volume eating? I would keep my calories around the same but increasing protein and fiber through doubling the amount of vegetables. Also, not all of us are kept full on carbs in the am. Try switching your macros around throughout the day.