Barre vs. heavy lifting

Options
Hi everyone. So I've been doing barre 3-4x a week for the last 6 weeks. My goal is to lose a little weight (doing that with slight calorie deficit plus keeping my carbs in check) and gain muscle/definition. So far I am seeing some definition, but not a lot. There are women in my class who seriously look like bikini models. Their arms, legs, abs and butts look amazing and muscular. I know it's only been 6 weeks for me but I'm impatient.

So my question is, would my goal happen quicker if I was lifting heavy weights vs. doing barre which is a million reps of light weight (like til you feel like your arms are going to fall off), bodyweight exercises like planks, pushups, thigh and seat work til muscles are shaking? I really like it and don't want to quit but if something else would be more effective and quicker I'll switch it up.

Thanks for your opinions...

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont know the barre program, but if you like what the girls look like that have been doing it, than i would do what they are doing. you should not be in the mindset of "fastest results" , having those model bodies is a long slow process, and genetics, and nutrition, and learning your body and what works best . there is no "fastest way" Enjoy the journey, dont rush through it. thats my two cents.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Barre doesn't burn a lot of calories. I take class 3 times a week although it's not my only exercise. It's toning and strengthening but only hard cardio will really get the fat off.

Most likely these girls came in with perfect bodies!

Body weight exercises are great to stave off osteoporosis. Ideally you want to do a mix of cardio and weights.

Do you like Zumba? Swimming? Machines?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would throw in some heavier lifting and continue with the Barre a couple of days a week. But be patient. Your hard work will show in time.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You might want to start lifting heavy or do a bodyweight training program between your barre days. It's also going to take time to achieve the results you want.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm a profession ballet teacher but I've never been to one of those Barre classes.
    I started lifting heavy about a year and a half ago and my pirouettes have never been sharper and my leaps have never been higher.
    I wish I would have lifted in my 20s but I was told (like all dancers) "lifting makes you bulky."

I say you lift heavy.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Barre doesn't burn a lot of calories. I take class 3 times a week although it's not my only exercise. It's toning and strengthening but only hard cardio will really get the fat off.

Most likely these girls came in with perfect bodies!

Body weight exercises are great to stave off osteoporosis. Ideally you want to do a mix of cardio and weights.

Do you like Zumba? Swimming? Machines?

ummm...only a calorie deficit will get the fat off. I have lost over 30 lbs with my only cardio being walking. I lift heavy (for me) and I am finally starting to get the definition I have always wanted
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So I've been doing barre 3-4x a week for the last 6 weeks. My goal is to lose a little weight (doing that with slight calorie deficit plus keeping my carbs in check) and gain muscle/definition. So far I am seeing some definition, but not a lot. There are women in my class who seriously look like bikini models. Their arms, legs, abs and butts look amazing and muscular. I know it's only been 6 weeks for me but I'm impatient.

So my question is, would my goal happen quicker if I was lifting heavy weights vs. doing barre which is a million reps of light weight (like til you feel like your arms are going to fall off), bodyweight exercises like planks, pushups, thigh and seat work til muscles are shaking? I really like it and don't want to quit but if something else would be more effective and quicker I'll switch it up.

Thanks for your opinions...

so- comparing barre to a strength program is like apples to unicorns. They aren't the same.

Secondly- why the rush? typically developing the body you want is a several year process- slow down- enjoy the time and the journey- settle in for the long game- I plan my goals in roughly 1-2 year increments and then look at the year as a whole to see where the training I want fits in.
    Don't be in a such a rush- no good will come of it.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if it takes time, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    IMO you should lift. Go to barre once a week if you enjoy it.

I went to barre for almost 4 years, 3-5 times a week. The women in your class who look great were like that when they started. I began going a few months after one of the first studios in my city opened so I saw the women who came to class for the first time and then became regulars. The ones who looked good two years later had looked good from the beginning. I only saw one transformation and that was a woman who left the studio for 6 months and returned a good 30 lbs lighter. It is possible to transform yourself a little but it's more difficult since barre classes aren't customized to your body and your goals. They're still group fitness classes.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You're not wasting your time if you enjoy the barre classes!
    I would say to do both but that's only because I do heavy lifting and ballet and love both! I also spin and go to circuit training but I do them all because I enjoy them!
    You need to lose the fat by eating right and you need to be more patient, it's a long road!
    Also, don't compare yourself to others - have personal goals and a plan for how to get there!

Good luck - you'll soon see results but it's only hard work that will get you the results you want!