Keto Diet

I have been stuck in a 5 pound range (197-203) for at least 5 years. Weighed 240 in 2004, had a stroke and lost 40 pounds. Nothing seems to work as I want to lose another 12-15 pounds. Sunday my wife and I started the keto diet. I am on a 2300 calorie plan with 5% carbs, 70% fats and 20% protein. Been drinking 80-100 ounces of water. Lost 5 pounds so far. Has anyone else tried this?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Good for you! Yes, it works!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    You need to talk to your doctor first.
    You are 64 years old.
    This diet may not be good for older patients especially if you have heart conditions.
    Many doctors want their patients to cut down on saturated fats.

Consider diets such as Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet, or the DASH low sodium diet.
    Both can be good for your ticker.
    I like to eat a plant based whole foods eating pan.
    Lots of green leafy veggies, fruits, and fiber foods such as beans, oatmeal, and lentils.
    Mediterranean diet is also good.

Keeping within your calories WORKS.
    Does not matter what diet you choose.
    Exercise at least 15 minutes every day for your heart health and cholesterol levels.
    A food scale has been the best $20 I have ever spent in my entire life. From bbbeyond.
    With keto you lose weight fast the first few days. Normal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    You need to talk to your doctor first.
    You are 64 years old.
    This diet may not be good for older patients especially if you have heart conditions.
    Many doctors want their patients to cut down on saturated fats.

Consider diets such as Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet, or the DASH low sodium diet.
    Both can be good for your ticker.
    I like to eat a plant based whole foods eating pan.
    Lots of green leafy veggies, fruits, and fiber foods such as beans, oatmeal, and lentils.
    Mediterranean diet is also good.

Keeping within your calories WORKS.
    Does not matter what diet you choose.
    Exercise at least 15 minutes every day for your heart health and cholesterol levels.
    A food scale has been the best $20 I have ever spent in my entire life. From bbbeyond.
    With keto you lose weight fast the first few days. Normal.

A very low carb diet is actually very good for those with CAD. Age is not an issue since this is not a difficult or unhealthy diet.

I've been keto for most of a year. I lost 40 lbs, and latnough I am not losing much now (near optimal weight) I am still losing in size, albiet slowly.

It is true that people tend to lose a few pounds (no more than 4) from water weight at first. A higher carb diet causes water retention, and low carb will cause you to excrete sodium and lose that water. It's a good idea to increase sodium intake to 3000-5000mg per day so you don't feel poorly with an electrolyte imbalance.

Consider joinging the Low Carber DAily group. It is where most of us ketofiles hang out. Good luck! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    tuckabeau wrote: »
    I have been stuck in a 5 pound range (197-203) for at least 5 years. Weighed 240 in 2004, had a stroke and lost 40 pounds. Nothing seems to work as I want to lose another 12-15 pounds. Sunday my wife and I started the keto diet. I am on a 2300 calorie plan with 5% carbs, 70% fats and 20% protein. Been drinking 80-100 ounces of water. Lost 5 pounds so far. Has anyone else tried this?

@tuckabeau dropped from 250 to 230 by starving myself then when Keto by default 1.5 years ago when I went off of sugars and all forms of grains for pain management. Over the next 6 months I lost another 30 pounds to hit 200 for the first time in 22 years and have stayed 200 +/-5 pounds for the past 12 months eating 2500-3000 calories. I would like to lose to 175 but currently my only objective is improving my health/health markers. This summer when I am more active outside I may lose some more.

My macro is 5% fats, 15% protein and 80% fats for the past 18 months.

Keto works well because after a few weeks my carb cravings just faded away for the most part. Best of success with Keto.

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    No, but I'm easing into it as we speak. We'll see how it goes!
  • lisawinning4losing

@tuckabeau dropped from 250 to 230 by starving myself then when Keto by default 1.5 years ago when I went off of sugars and all forms of grains for pain management. Over the next 6 months I lost another 30 pounds to hit 200 for the first time in 22 years and have stayed 200 +/-5 pounds for the past 12 months eating 2500-3000 calories. I would like to lose to 175 but currently my only objective is improving my health/health markers. This summer when I am more active outside I may lose some more.

My macro is 5% fats, 15% protein and 80% fats for the past 18 months.

Keto works well because after a few weeks my carb cravings just faded away for the most part. Best of success with Keto.

I think you meant to say 5% carbs. ;)
  • lisawinning4losing
    Of course, it's never a bad idea to talk to a doctor and monitor yourself. Especially if you're on any insulin or any medications for blood pressure or cholesterol, you're likely to end up needing to reduce your dosage.
  • tuckabeau
    tuckabeau Posts: 4 Member
    I have a message in for my Dr. to see what he thinks.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member
    I have a message in for my Dr. to see what he thinks.

And while that is a good idea (as it is standard advice to always consult with your doctor before making drastic dietary changes) at the same time many doctors aren't well educated as far as nutrition and weight loss. See what they say, but then do your own research and consult a registered dietician as well.

Ultimately, it's all about what works long-term for YOU. Keep track of what you eat, how you feel, etc. and proceed based off of that.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Dr. Mercola has some great articles on the keto diet. I fallow a high fat low carb diet and have so much more energy. It's not totally a keto diet. But closer to it.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Not all doctors understand what Keto is, so do ask questions about his/her understanding of it. I've been doing Keto a few months now to combat metabolic syndrome and get my health back. It is great for weight loss, but it is great for reversing chronic illness too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    I haven't tried it because my body does NOT respond well to low carb diets. Ultimately, it has to be something that you can adhere to. Any diet that will be able to keep you in a calorie deficit will help you lose weight, regardless if its keto, vegan, IIFYM. If you do keto, i would suggest you get most of your fats from unsaturated sources (fish/nuts).

Also, depending on your personality, you can either go full keto from the start, or start a slow transition to see how your body responds.. so each week, lowering carbs and increase fats.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Keto, aka Low Carb High Fat was recommended to me by my GI doctor. He's the first doctor I've been to that was even remotely knowledgable about nutrition. He fully supported my following a Paleo diet prior to my Dx of NAFLD and recommended taking it one step further to help drop the weight and hopefully reverse my NAFLD.

Low carb diets are no longer a "fad" like they were when Atkins first came out with his book. Today there are more and more diets that recommend limiting or even eliminating processed carbs and wheat products. Read enough and you'll see that all of the current diet "fads" Paleo, Primal, Atkins, Keto, South Beach, LCHF, etc. they all have one common theme, and that is limiting carbs and increasing the amount of fat that you are consuming. And they all recommend that for a reason, it works.

Sure, consult with your MD if you want, but I wouldn't count on them being very knowledgeable about Keto. Unless you have any severe underlying medical conditions, I say give it a try and see how you feel. I've been following a Paleo diet for a while keeping my carbs between 50-75, and just a week ago decided to attempt Keto and dropped to <40g per day. I feel fantastic! Better than I have in a long time. Good luck!
  • littlemissketo
    littlemissketo Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Do your research. Keto has worked great for myself and my partner, research Prof Tim Noakes - he's currently kicking butt in a nutrition court case in South Africa.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    MFP has many great LCHF and Keto groups with lots of supportive and smart people. Do your research there, read lots of (The Obesity Code and Why We Get Fat) and google You tube videos, and talk to your doctor and try to find a Keto Nutritionist. Best of luck!