Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Let's Have a Normal Conversation...

Replies

• IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    nitroalley wrote: »
    Maybe electronic technician? sub duty is good duty if you can stand it. The east coast side is Conn. and I believe Holylock Scotland if it is still the same. Deployments are long but then you get some nice time off and there is a pay premium and I believe after A school you get to be petty officer 3rd class. Again quoting from a long time ago.

He is E3 going in, he tested about as high as possible. He is very smart but a bit lazy, that will surely change. Electronics sounds right, all decisions were his, including dropping out of college to enlist.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Good luck to him it is exciting
  • nitroalley
    nitroalley Posts: 3,599 Member
    tfrasur wrote: »
    Maybe electronic technician? sub duty is good duty if you can stand it. The east coast side is Conn. and I believe Holylock Scotland if it is still the same. Deployments are long but then you get some nice time off and there is a pay premium and I believe after A school you get to be petty officer 3rd class. Again quoting from a long time ago.

He is E3 going in, he tested about as high as possible. He is very smart but a bit lazy, that will surely change. Electronics sounds right, all decisions were his, including dropping out of college to enlist.

Well T that is exactly what I did. I dropped out of college and enlisted in the Navy. Did a lot of growing up. Came back home and worked in a lot of low paying jobs with not much future like loading trailers. Went to my mom and dad and told them I wanted another shot at college. They agreed. I started at community college and had some GI funding, worked part time, and drove an old clunker. Got my associate degree and went onto a 4 year program while working full time, then joined a good company who paid for my MBA. you never know the path they will take and never give up on them wanting an education. I was 28 when I got my bachelor's degree.
  • handyrunner
    Is he going the officer path?
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member

Well T that is exactly what I did. I dropped out of college and enlisted in the Navy. Did a lot of growing up. Came back home and worked in a lot of low paying jobs with not much future like loading trailers. Went to my mom and dad and told them I wanted another shot at college. They agreed. I started at community college and had some GI funding, worked part time, and drove an old clunker. Got my associate degree and went onto a 4 year program while working full time, then joined a good company who paid for my MBA. you never know the path they will take and never give up on them wanting an education. I was 28 when I got my bachelor's degree.

Almost exact same story here. Tried college and hated it. Went back after the military and breezed through it like it was nothing. Got my MBA. Now if I could just stop folding my undershirts how they taught us and just learn to walk on the opposite side of the sidewalk just once. Lol
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member

Yeah , he was 4th in his HS class, tutored the 3 above him, almost perfect ACT and SAT but lacked discipline for studying. So, he made his choice and am very proud of it. He will find his own way and thrive I'm sure.

Is he going the officer path?

I'm not sure, but thinking he was making a career out of it and that was it, but not 100% on that.
  • nitroalley
    GymRatSF wrote: »

Almost exact same story here. Tried college and hated it. Went back after the military and breezed through it like it was nothing. Got my MBA. Now if I could just stop folding my undershirts how they taught us and just learn to walk on the opposite side of the sidewalk just once. Lol

Lol. My dad was Army, My Brother career Airforce, My other brother Marines so I wanted to try the Navy

Never Again Volunteer Yourself
    or the one I like better - Join the Navy and Ride the Waves
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Morning all, just got the formal Navy letter of fill in the blanks from middle son. Info of address an boot camp graduation date and departure to A school after that. Have one letter written all ready an will be writing another after waking up. Hope y'all have a wonderful normal'ish day. ;)

That is awesome, yay! I'm happy you heard from him.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Good morning all, I probably will be pretty scarce today but dropping by to wish ya'll a great day!
  • handyrunner
    Morning aly

• Justpeachy02
    Justpeachy02 Posts: 11,817 Member
    Who wants to come help me clean and fold laundry?! Lol
  • handyrunner
    I can watch
  • Justpeachy02
    I can watch

No go! I'd put you to work
  • handyrunner
    Haha where's my union rep
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Who wants to come help me clean and fold laundry?! Lol

I'll vacuum while you do laundry!
  • Justpeachy02
    Haha where's my union rep

Oh I'll treat ya right. No need for one
  • handyrunner
    Ok I can deal with that
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Why is this place all of sudden unionized?
  • nitroalley
    Morning Ali
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    good morning