Newbie wanting to start lifting...tips needed!

Options
armydreamers
armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so I have decided that I want to start lifting. I do barre classes only but I want to switch it up and see if I get different results with lifting heavy. My plan is to join 24hour or another cheapish gym (doing research on that now) and use a personal trainer for a handful of sessions to learn the machines, form, etc.

Once I feel like I know what the heck I'm doing maybe I'll do strong lifts or one of the other programs you all recommend.

Does that sound like a decent plan?

Questions: How many day a week should I be doing this? Is it safe to do it alone after I'm done using the trainer? What should I eat before and after the workouts? I'll be going in the morning after taking my kids to school.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great beginner program designed for increasing strength.

Stronglifts will tell you exactly how many days a week to lift, all good programs will.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    have the trainer teach you to do free weights. don't waste your time with the trainer on the machines.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts. You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com. It's five exercises, three days per week, and only takes me about 45 minutes per session. I work without a spotter with no problem. The couple of times it has gotten heavy, I've asked someone else at the gym to spot me, and they always do. I don't specifically eat anything before or after unless I'm hungry (unless you are an elite athlete, eating before/after isn't necessary).

I just posted some progress pictures here, if you want to check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35898105#Comment_35898105
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Dive right into the deep end and start a heavy lifting program right off the bat. Play with the machines later.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would recommend you just start with Stronglifts (or another progressive, heavy lifting program). You can modify anything that's too heavy to be completed with dumbells or other options. If you want to do a few sessions with a trainer, you could use them to practice your form on the compound lifts you'll need (squats, overhead press, etc). There really is not reason to spend time doing a different program first unless you really want to because the program is totally modifiable to fit your abilities and you will love the progress you make doing it.

Stronglifts calls for 3 times per week. Might be different for the other programs, I'm not sure. Whatever program you pick, just do it consistently and you will see results.

What you eat depends on your goals. Want to lose fat? Then eat at a deficit. Want to recomp? Then eat at maintenance. Want to bulk and grow more muscle? Then eat at a surplus. Eat whatever food fits into your calorie allowance that you like. Make sure you get adequate protein, but you don't need to go completely nuts and drink raw eggs or mortgage your house to buy fancy protein supplements or anything like that (unless you enjoy those foods in which case go for it!).

If Stronglifts is the program you think you're interested in, check out the MFP group for women doing Stronglifts. Lots of great info about modifications for beginners, form videos, etc. It's a really great group.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I started lifting on StrongLifts and really enjoyed it. It's so simple, the app is free and I think really handy, and the workouts are quick. If you're just doing SL, it's 3x a week and each session is between 45 mins and an hour which is pretty easy to fit into your schedule.

Best of luck! I hope you love it :)
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So I don't really need any machines for stronglifts or a trainer? I'm pretty scared to walk into the gym by myself. Eek! I thought having a trainer a couple times would help me to feel more confident. I wish it wasn't so pricey though!
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts. You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com. It's five exercises, three days per week, and only takes me about 45 minutes per session. I work without a spotter with no problem. The couple of times it has gotten heavy, I've asked someone else at the gym to spot me, and they always do. I don't specifically eat anything before or after unless I'm hungry (unless you are an elite athlete, eating before/after isn't necessary).

I just posted some progress pictures here, if you want to check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35898105#Comment_35898105

Amazing results!!!!
  • jalmalek
    jalmalek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a smart way to start. The worst thing you can do to yourself is lift weight, with poor form. I have always felt using free weights was a better way for myself, just because you use muscles to stabilize the weight that isn't hooked to a cable. That being said, I also have a bunch of lifts that include cabled machines that I really like.

Work yourself into the weights as you're comfortable. Ask questions to people that look like they're willing to help out. A lot of people don't have, or make, time to help newbies out. We've all been there though. Obviously there's the internet and youtube, etc. You look to be a pretty smart woman, you'll know what videos to trust and who not to.

There are also apps that have pretty decent workout plans. I like jetfit. You can use other peoples routines, make your own or use one's they've put together. I'm sure there some other great ones out there, I just haven't looked for them.

I think most workouts are set up for 3-5 days a week. I do 5. Generally you want to work an opposite muscle group from what you did the day before. So if you do chest on Monday, do back on Tuesday, legs Thurs and Bicep/Triceps on Friday. I usually do BI/Tri on Wed and shoulders on friday. You could easily do shoulders with your back on tuesday, if you only want to workout 4 days a week.

I take a pre workout drink called Nano Vapor. Post workout shake is Syntha-6. I like that because it has a great carb/protein ratio, which I feel is a great thing to give your body after draining it. You should switch these up here and there though.

I don't lift weights to be a model or a bodybuilder. I just do it because it's something I've always been good at and I enjoy it. So, take my input for what it's worth. I'm sure you'll hear all sorts of opinions and words of advice. Pick and choose what you think is right and have fun!

• kimloverly611
    kimloverly611 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Another chime in for Stronglifts. It's absolutely amazing. The 3 day a week schedule is easy to fit in and I was able to do most of it myself with the videos and a spotter the first few times. I agree with others and wouldn't waste your trainer money on learning the machines. You build what SL calls "gym strength" that way and not real strength. Learning the compound moves with a helper will definitely help you out in the long run.
  • jalmalek
    jalmalek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of stronglifts. I'll have to check them out!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    All though I was not a beginner to Iron I never really trained for Strength until I came across SL 5x5. Good solid program and they even have an app for Android and Apple. I ran that program for about 18 months before I progressed to 5/3/1. So SL has my vote.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Thabks I'm excited! Just wish I had a friend to do it with me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So I don't really need any machines for stronglifts or a trainer? I'm pretty scared to walk into the gym by myself. Eek! I thought having a trainer a couple times would help me to feel more confident. I wish it wasn't so pricey though!

there are no machines needed for strong lifts. And if you can afford a trainer you should a trainer (a good trainer), although its not necessary. but a good trainer can really be worth it.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with Stronglifts. Simple yet amazingly effective. I would definitely suggest working with a trainer at least a few times. You can hurt yourself if you are not lifting correctly. Also look into Dan John, he's got some simple but effective workouts.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Maybe a dumb question but what do you do for abs?
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are pretty ab intensive already. I don't do isolated ab work but you could if you wanted!
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Just found out about Jamie Eason's Livefit program. Would there be any reason to do that instead of stronglifts?
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are pretty ab intensive already. I don't do isolated ab work but you could if you wanted!

Good to know, thanks!
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It sounds great. It takes the stuff from Stronglifts 5x5 and adds a few more exercises to help the beginner work a few more areas.

So I joined a local gym and had a trainer show me how to do everything with free weights. Actually I joined this gym because it was cheap and doesn't even have machines (except for cable machines). Never been that impressed with the corporate gym scene in the past. I've belonged to a few and never really enjoyed myself. The trainer I used is also the owner, who is a body builder and actually lives in a small apartment connected to the gym.

Before this, never did free weights, besides the obvious, like dumbbells. Always scared of the squat and bench and doing things safely. Always did machines and wasted my energy on the elliptical. I hate cardio. I think I'll enjoy this much more. After my first workout, totally feeling it in a way the machines never made me feel.

Getting used to the squat is hard. A little lacking in flexibility, and having extra flab throws off normal balance, so we have a plan for getting used to that and the deadlifts. I definitely want to maintain good form, so I'm starting out light. The other exercises in ICF5x5 help strengthen the body when you can't quite do the full SL5x5 stuff yet.