Newbie wanting to start lifting...tips needed!

Replies

• armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    rawley69 wrote: »
    I just found out about the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It sounds great. It takes the stuff from Stronglifts 5x5 and adds a few more exercises to help the beginner work a few more areas.

So I joined a local gym and had a trainer show me how to do everything with free weights. Actually I joined this gym because it was cheap and doesn't even have machines (except for cable machines). Never been that impressed with the corporate gym scene in the past. I've belonged to a few and never really enjoyed myself. The trainer I used is also the owner, who is a body builder and actually lives in a small apartment connected to the gym.

Before this, never did free weights, besides the obvious, like dumbbells. Always scared of the squat and bench and doing things safely. Always did machines and wasted my energy on the elliptical. I hate cardio. I think I'll enjoy this much more. After my first workout, totally feeling it in a way the machines never made me feel.

Getting used to the squat is hard. A little lacking in flexibility, and having extra flab throws off normal balance, so we have a plan for getting used to that and the deadlifts. I definitely want to maintain good form, so I'm starting out light. The other exercises in ICF5x5 help strengthen the body when you can't quite do the full SL5x5 stuff yet.

That sounds great! I'll check it out. Thanks
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Maybe a dumb question but what do you do for abs?

I haven't done any ab-targeted exercises in probably 6 months, but my abs look better than ever because they are forced to support the heavy weights when I squat, lift above my head for overhead press, etc. You can certainly do ab stuff if you want, but I've always hated crunches and whatnot and I find I don't really need them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

I haven't done any ab-targeted exercises in probably 6 months, but my abs look better than ever because they are forced to support the heavy weights when I squat, lift above my head for overhead press, etc. You can certainly do ab stuff if you want, but I've always hated crunches and whatnot and I find I don't really need them.

Same.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    I just found out about the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It sounds great. It takes the stuff from Stronglifts 5x5 and adds a few more exercises to help the beginner work a few more areas.

So I joined a local gym and had a trainer show me how to do everything with free weights. Actually I joined this gym because it was cheap and doesn't even have machines (except for cable machines). Never been that impressed with the corporate gym scene in the past. I've belonged to a few and never really enjoyed myself. The trainer I used is also the owner, who is a body builder and actually lives in a small apartment connected to the gym.

Before this, never did free weights, besides the obvious, like dumbbells. Always scared of the squat and bench and doing things safely. Always did machines and wasted my energy on the elliptical. I hate cardio. I think I'll enjoy this much more. After my first workout, totally feeling it in a way the machines never made me feel.

Getting used to the squat is hard. A little lacking in flexibility, and having extra flab throws off normal balance, so we have a plan for getting used to that and the deadlifts. I definitely want to maintain good form, so I'm starting out light. The other exercises in ICF5x5 help strengthen the body when you can't quite do the full SL5x5 stuff yet.

That sounds great! I'll check it out. Thanks

Just do stronglifts, it is a beginner program and all you need. Seriously.
  • armydreamers

That's so awesome! Good to know! :)
  • armydreamers
    eeejer wrote: »

Just do stronglifts, it is a beginner program and all you need. Seriously.

Ok, cool. :smile:
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Loved stronglifts as a beginner. :) If you can meet trainers before hand let them know what you want help with don't leave it up to them. Some are not the most female lifting friendly so be prepared for that.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member

In addition to SL 5x5, I add Wood Chop.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rqGEJr6GAt4

Later, add KB workouts.

You'll love it all!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited March 2016
    I have done Strong Lifts and really liked it as well.

As for hiring a trainer. I know it can be pricey, but if you let them know exactly what you want to learn (how to squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press with proper form), you won't be signing up for a lifetime of training sessions. You can get the basics down in a month, two tops. Obviously we are continuously working on form, but after awhile you can work on it yourself. Especially if you have videos and have people critique.

I could barely afford a trainer when I started lifting, and there were times my bank account was almost empty lol. But I got through it. And now my life is changed forever. Totally worth the investment.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    if you feel you need a trainer that is fine, but they often get in the way of a good program rather than helping. The stronglifts website has great videos and descriptions, and the vast majority who do it never see a trainer. If you need some tips look for a large friendly person at the gym and most of the time they will be delighted to do a form check on you.
  • armydreamers
    24 Hour has a deal - $279 for 5 personal training sessions. Is that a good deal? I actually hate to pay even that much but I really really need someone to show me these exercises in order for me to have the confidence to do it on my own.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Just found out about Jamie Eason's Livefit program. Would there be any reason to do that instead of stronglifts?

No. It's better as a bigger to do a full body program than a split program. You have to build up your strength of your entire body before focusing on the smaller muscles. I did livefit and I found I wasted my time and got much better results from even just one month of stronglifts
  • armydreamers
    Just found out about Jamie Eason's Livefit program. Would there be any reason to do that instead of stronglifts?

No. It's better as a bigger to do a full body program than a split program. You have to build up your strength of your entire body before focusing on the smaller muscles. I did livefit and I found I wasted my time and got much better results from even just one month of stronglifts

Great to know - thanks. :)
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    24 Hour has a deal - $279 for 5 personal training sessions. Is that a good deal? I actually hate to pay even that much but I really really need someone to show me these exercises in order for me to have the confidence to do it on my own.

Its hard to say as this varies by location for cost of living and all that fun. That is about $55 an hour I would hope. I forget what I paid mine. I think it was close to around $40 an hour. I had prior back injury and really wanted to get that reassurance from someone who had some idea what they were doing.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Watching videos is good. But a video can't watch you and critique the small things that you're doing wrong which may turn into habits that eventually cause injury or less that stellar results.
  • jessiefrancine
    Watching videos is good. But a video can't watch you and critique the small things that you're doing wrong which may turn into habits that eventually cause injury or less that stellar results.

This is true, but there if you take a video of yourself doing a lift there are people here on the MFP forums that will critique your form and offer tips.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member

This is true, but there if you take a video of yourself doing a lift there are people here on the MFP forums that will critique your form and offer tips.
    One such form critique thread (from the Eat-Train-Progress Group):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

It's quite important that freeweight lifting form be monitored (however you choose to do it) -- Picking-up a bad habit (bad form) early can lead to frustrations and/or injuries further down the road. Diligent form monitoring will also help you maximize the benefits of the lifts that you choose (I'm another advocate for the "StrongLifts 5x5" program).

Really a win-win scenario to have a little bit of "early" help in establishing proper form, and having 3rd-party review of that form from time to time... well worth the effort and/or investment!
  • armydreamers
    I decided to sign up for a gym membership. I actually found a really cheap one and I got a personal trainer for 10 sessions. I'm super nervous! :neutral:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

One such form critique thread (from the Eat-Train-Progress Group):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

Yes. Use that link (I'm pretty sure you'll have to join the group to do it, but the group is good). I'll suggest not putting your videos on the main forums.

• jessiefrancine
    I decided to sign up for a gym membership. I actually found a really cheap one and I got a personal trainer for 10 sessions. I'm super nervous! :neutral:

YES! You're going to love it!!!