What was your unhealthy dishes you stopped eating

MinmoInk
MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
When I think back on what I used to eat many years ago in actually horrified. I was very ignorant of nutrition and calories. I remember some of the stuff I ate wasss:

-Alfredo chicken with linguini
-Cheese spaghetti tacos
-Chicken carbonara sandwich at Quiznos
-burgers with mayo and fries

Looking back on those things makes me terrified to think how many calories I was consuming but it's super interesting to look back on it regardless. It helps me to remember that I don't eat like that and because of that I'll never slip back to my old weight.

Anyone else here remember dishes that was just total excess? Maybe it freaks you out to think back on those dishes because they were so bad?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I've found nothing that I have been unable to fit in.

Frequency may have changed, but nothing has required elimination.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    cityruss wrote: »

Same here. And nothing that I used to eat more often "freaks me out" when I think about. It's just food. I don't invest it with emotional power or moral values.
  • MinmoInk
    edited March 2016
    cityruss wrote: »

Same here. And nothing that I used to eat more often "freaks me out" when I think about. It's just food. I don't invest it with emotional power or moral values.

Well certainty I think cheesy spaghetti tacos would freak out many people ;)

And why not? Food is a culture and for some it's a passion! I like learning new things and cooking and eating new things is certainly an emotional thing! It doesn't please our brain for nothin!

For me personally I do have to eliminate the above foods since I just can't fit it into my meal plans without feeling hungry. Plus that stuff is pretty gross fat and sodium bombs on carbs lol.

I can't be the only person who had terrible eating habits here hmm ;)

I'll add to my list- Giant Cinnabon with sauce!

Mind, I can certainly feel happy indulging on many many things but it's these sorts of *excessive* foods that I am glad to not be eating and wanting anymore.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    You know I am, lol. Still working on mine. I'll let you know once I've given them up for good.
  • MinmoInk
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    You know I am, lol. Still working on mine. I'll let you know once I've given them up for good.

I'll take a Alfredo zoodle dish, a juicy simple hamburger, a *meat* taco, and a cinnamon swirl oatmeal over the real things now a days, but it's always ok to have a snack sized Cinnabon if ya know what I mean :D
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    momo_t90 wrote: »

I'll take a Alfredo zoodle dish, a juicy simple hamburger, a *meat* taco, and a cinnamon swirl oatmeal over the real things now a days, but it's always ok to have a snack sized Cinnabon if ya know what I mean :D

Well, I did get a tip from a friend to try these:

http://dessertswithbenefits.com/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-protein-bars/

Just might have to. :wink:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    nothing. We just had chicken alfreado that i make a homade sauce with.. olive oil garlic.. add heavy cream s+p boil to thickn a little then add fresh shaved parm. Husbands fave.. sometimes il add a tablespoon of pesto. at this point i work out/burn calories to eat.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    I still eat the stuff I like, but now in smaller portions, or alternative versions. Here are a few of my food graveyard occupants:

Costco Hot Dogs (just not worth it)
    Large Sonic Milkshakes (gotta order the small ones now)
    Whole Pumpkin Pies (now just a slice or two)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    If I could think of anything I'd deprived myself of since I started counting calories a year ago, I would instantly make a plan to fit that food I love into my day ASAP. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I haven't really stopped eating anything, but:
    I eat some things less often.
    I eat just one or two calorie dense foods (ie hamburger OR fries; pizza and cake OR ice cream) and combine it with other less calorie dense foods.
    I don't keep typical junk foods in the house, and never eat them when I'm alone.
    I eat more varied (more species, not just lots of spices).
    I eat more balanced (regular meals, with a proper mix of carbs, fat and protein).
    I eat things in more sensible portions.
    I cook/make/assemble more things from single food ingredients; that way I can control the composition myself to better suit my nutritional needs as well as taste preference.
    I choose more nutritious options, whether calorie dense or not.
    I don't usually buy "light" foods; a smaller amount of the real deal is more satisfying for less calories.
    I try to eat because I'm hungry AND because I like the taste; not just because there's food left, or because it's cheap, or I think I "should" because its's "healthy", or I am offered something. I don't dwell or regret, I just enjoy.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Only two:

Chicken Wings (I don't want 6, I want 30!)
    My go to snack of american cheese wrapped around green olives. Ate that my whole life never caring that the sodium was 5000 in what I ate in one sitting.

Managing to fit just about everything else I want in.
  • RobertCotton
    RobertCotton Posts: 28 Member
    I still fit everything I want in, just in moderation. I used to go to Krispy Kreme doughnuts and order a 6 pack for myself. Of course doing that, I couldn't sit and eat with anyone, they would be appalled sitting there watching me eat 6 doughnuts. I still eat my favorite doughnut, but its just one now with coffee and conversation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm with others that have said that I haven't completely eliminated anything from my diet other than large portions, and the frequency with which I consume some foods has changed. But if there is something I love, I find a way to work it in.

But I really want clarification on cheesy spaghetti tacos. Does. Not. Compute.
  • MinmoInk
    edited March 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    But I really want clarification on cheesy spaghetti tacos. Does. Not. Compute.

Yep I had some strange eating habits! Mom used to make spaghetti With a 1 to 1 ratio of cheese to spaghetti. Add some flavor like onion and then eat it with tortillas.

Yes. Very gross. I think it's perfect use of the word gross :) I don't wish to work that in my diet lol
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    My personal one was something the diner in my town made: waffle fries covered in melted cheddar, chopped bacon, and sour cream.
    F those were good.

The only way I ate them back then was my metabolism was intensely strong as I was a teenager.

If I still lived near that diner, I'd probably get them on a cheat meal. Good thing I'm 480 miles away now I guess!
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Oh man. And elephant ears / fried dough. I think even eating one on a cheat day would make my stomach upset now.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    I cut out eating things that were high calorie and not that good.

Example: getting burger and onion rings for lunch because I didn't plan and bring my own, but a crappy cafeteria burger that was overcooked and soggy onion rings. Not worth it. OTOH, a really good burger and onion rings may be something I would work to fit in, and maybe not on the same day. I've been a lot more mindful of "is this actually delicious and worth the calories? Or just convenient and comforting?" and skipping if it's the latter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Pizza and sodas. I ditched the sodas altogether, and learned to make a healthier pizza.
  • MinmoInk
    sylkates wrote: »
    My personal one was something the diner in my town made: waffle fries covered in melted cheddar, chopped bacon, and sour cream.
    !

Oh boy haha yep that's pretty heavy! That's like a deep fried loaded potato. And elephant ears yeah, that sounds like carnival food. I stick to donuts when I want fried dough now at least it isn't in carnival-sized portions!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Aint this the truth! The number of crappy student union meals I ate because I didn't plan.
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I cut out eating things that were high calorie and not that good.

Example: getting burger and onion rings for lunch because I didn't plan and bring my own, but a crappy cafeteria burger that was overcooked and soggy onion rings. Not worth it. OTOH, a really good burger and onion rings may be something I would work to fit in, and maybe not on the same day. I've been a lot more mindful of "is this actually delicious and worth the calories? Or just convenient and comforting?" and skipping if it's the latter.