What was your unhealthy dishes you stopped eating

Options

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Everything in moderation. I've had to give up gluten because of an intolerance, but that doesn't stop me from occasionally enjoying gluten free snacks. As long as it fits within my daily calorie allowance, I don't see a problem with splurges now and then.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    None. What does "unhealthy" mean anyway? The foods I loved to indulge in before I lost the weight still appeal to me - I just eat them less often and/or in smaller quantities. I'm never grossed out or or horrified by what I used to eat. Food is good. Food that is high in calories and low in nutritional value tends to taste best. I could easily revert back to how I used to eat, but I choose not to because I'm incredibly vain and I like my body better at 125lbs than I did at 155lbs.

Last Saturday I ate a piece of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake that contained about 1800 calories...and that was after stuffing my face full of pasta with breaded chicken. Today I'll hit my macros and consume about 1650 calories of decently nutritious foods. It's all about balance. :smile:
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Everything in moderation. I've had to give up gluten because of an intolerance, but that doesn't stop me from occasionally enjoying gluten free snacks. As long as it fits within my daily calorie allowance, I don't see a problem with splurges now and then.

Nothin wrong with a splurge I agree! I don't eat clean. I tend to eat all my favorite foods every week, but not these horrible caloric beasts that are in no way satisfying that I listed :smile: the idea of carbs carbs fats fats and not much else doesn't make a good splurge for myself. I'll have a tasty whole personal veggie pizza or a juicy hamburger as much as I desire however!
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    None. What does "unhealthy" mean anyway?

Hmm probably fries with powdered sugar, jam, and a deep fried sandwich. I'd say that's unhealthy :)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't ban any foods, but I have found that my taste preferences have definitely changed.

I don't really like meat lover's pizzas anymore. Too salty, greasy, and heavy. I prefer now a veggie or light meat pizza- prosciutto is a big fav of mine with roma tomato, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella. I don't drown my pizzas in cheese anymore. This is amazing coming from a woman that once heartily agreed with her brother that there was no such thing as too much cheese on a pizza! I don't really like pan crusts anymore either. I like a light, thinnish grilled crust.

Likewise, I haven't banned rice, per se, but choose to replace it with bulgur, which we actually like better and has fewer calories and comparable nutritional profile to brown rice.

I find I like cake less and less. I don't know why. Related, I was given a slice of cheesecake last week and I took one bite and it was just too heavy, too much. I threw it out. It wasn't bad, it just was...not worth eating to me.

I prefer taking bags of Baked Lays with me on the odd occasion we get fast food. I'll get a grilled chicken or veggie burger and then instead of fries, eat my chips. I honestly don't miss the fries at all and my butt doesn't miss double to quadruple the calories.

I used to eat Nutella with a spoon. I still have Nutella every now and again at weekend breakfast, but I can't see myself eating it with a spoon everyday anymore. I don't even really see it anymore period when I open the pantry.

I discovered that my burgers have a lot more great taste to them if they are eaten with a thinwhich or cabbage/lettuce wrap. Last time we went to BK on vacation, I found I was trimmed most of the bun off of my veggie burger. I just didn't want to eat so much bun. Funny thing is, in the past I remember people complaining about 'too much bread' and I didn't get it at all. I thought they were nuts. Now I am one of those nuts. I also find I rarely really taste the cheese on a burger to make it worth the calories to put it on in the first place. It has to be a very bold and strong flavored cheese. Cheddar, swiss, young gouda - they don't cut it.

Speaking of BK, I dislike fast food now and try to avoid it if possible. I'm going on vacation in May and am trying to think two good meals to pack for the airport/flight so we don't have to eat at the airport.

I don't like regular bacon that much any more. I know this is sacrilege, but if I had a choice between regular bacon and Canadian bacon, Canadian wins hands down everytime. It is ok to sprinkle on baked potatoes, but I rarely use it for anything else. Maybe I'll make a pizza every two or three weeks that has some on it, but usually that is for my daughter's.

Shamrock shakes, Cadbury creme eggs, Girl Scout cookies - all things that seem to taste much better in my memory than they do now. *shrug*

I have mostly transitioned from drinking beer and wine to clear spirits and diet mixers. Unfortunately, I still really like beer and wine, so this is still gives me the sadz from time to time. But then I go look in a mirror and remember why I make these hard choices. B)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nutella out the jar, I still eat it but not as often as I used to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Food that is high in calories and low in nutritional value tends to taste best.

I am so very glad I don't think this. It must make getting to and staying at a healthy weight harder.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Blizzards! I used to get a large Blizzard from DQ at least twice per week. Then I realized each one had over a thousand calories and hardly any nutritional value. I might get a small one once in awhile now, but no more large blizzards.
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Honestly I didn't start this thread because I'm talking about elimination an deprivation and honestly there IS such things as food you probably shouldn't eat. I'm not against splurges and living a lil of course. I mean I'm on myfitnesspal because I lost weight because I had crappy eating habits and zero understanding of nutrition. I'm 100% for CICO and eating in moderation but ain't no way I'm saying my previous foods I ate were totally fine for me to look back and say "mm yeah I can still fit that in my calorie budget" lol.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can't really think of any foods I've cut out. There are lots of things I eat less frequently, or cut back portion size significantly.

Pasta is a big one - it's not worth the calories to me unless I have a specific desire for it. I mean, I enjoy it, but I almost never think about how much I'd love to have some pasta for dinner.

Good crusty homemade/bakery bread - can't eat this as frequently as I used to. Love it. Would happily eat a big hunk with every meal but that doesn't work if I want a prayer of getting macros in, so it's an infrequent treat.

Pizza - still eat this about as frequently as before. Maybe once a month, maybe a bit less often, but I eat a less at a sitting. And the pizza I eat is both tastier and lower calorie per slice. Neapolitan-style, high quality but fewer toppings.

Other high cal things that would have been very occasional treats even before, I usually split with one or more people if I want some - like the giant Cinnabon. I'd have split that with someone before (way too much sweet at once for me) and now I'd get the mini and still split it.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have also become much more discerning about how much or how many of something I want to indulge my calories on. Have learned, the hard way, that a hand full of M&M's - okay, the whole bag - is just Not worth not being able to eat for the rest of the day. Have learned that fast food may fill me up for a moment, but are the calories, fat, sodium, etc. really worth it? Have not been through Taco Bell (it used to be daily) in a couple years. I plan out my days ahead of time and such as tonight, going to a favorite Mexican restaurant and there I will eat those 7-9 chips, salsa and a cheese enchilada -- fit it in!
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Calorie laden casseroles, Oreo cookies, cheesecake, Alfredo sauce and the pastas that go with it, donuts, (pastries of any kind, really), mac and cheese (boxed and homemade), fried foods, breaded everything, bread in general (now eat English muffins), Beyer's Butter Pecan ice cream (my favorite) just to name a few things I used to eat regularly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat entire medium sized bags of doritos after an evening of drinking anymore. And I drink way less so I can eat my calories.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »

Hmm probably fries with powdered sugar, jam, and a deep fried sandwich. I'd say that's unhealthy :)

High calorie but not necessarily unhealthy.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything but there are some things I almost never eat any more. Chinese buffet, french fries, onion rings, pasta, potatoes. Since I'm diabetic I shouldn't be eating them much anyway.
  • Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I've found nothing that I have been unable to fit in.

Frequency may have changed, but nothing has required elimination.

Same. Moderation and portion control yes but I haven't eliminated anything either. :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I dropped pasta - I think I've had it twice in the last 5 years.

Not because I think it's unhealthy, but because I just don't think that it is worth the calories. So when the family have spaghetti bolognaise, I have the sauce over steamed vegetables.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.

Most people have agreed with this, me included. Also I wrote *meals* not food groups.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »

I think you were a more adventurous eater than me. Not unhealthier just with a very different slant on food.
    Spaghetti tacos? Fries with powdered sugar and jam? Deep fried sandwiches? Never had these things or even witnessed them being eaten.

I've thought of a couple of foods I grew up eating pretty often that I would never eat now.
    Cheese Whiz and velvetta. They just taste bad to me now.
    Canned pasta or soup. Just taste super bland to me.
    Minute rice. Seems kind of gummy to me.
    Canned peas or green beans. Tastesless, mushy.