What was your unhealthy dishes you stopped eating

Options

Replies

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    None. What does "unhealthy" mean anyway?

Hmm probably fries with powdered sugar, jam, and a deep fried sandwich. I'd say that's unhealthy :)

High calorie but not necessarily unhealthy.

I... Okay. That seems to be the consensus then.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Saltine crackers smeared with butter. Not terrible if you have a couple but finishing off an entire sleeve of crackers and full stick of butter in one sitting is no bueno. I don't want just a couple so I don't eat this combo at all anymore.

No more spoonfuls of sweetened condensed milk either.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Food that is high in calories and low in nutritional value tends to taste best.

I am so very glad I don't think this. It must make getting to and staying at a healthy weight harder.

I do just fine, thanks. I never said that nutritionally dense food tastes bad to me, but a bag of kale will never taste as good as a donut. And I think most people would agree with that, regardless of their weight. Just because there's something out there that tastes better doesn't mean I'm going to go get that instead of choosing something with more nutritional value.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.

Most people have agreed with this, me included. Also I wrote *meals* not food groups.

I wasn't necessarily pointing that at you. And I said nothing of "food groups" either. I'm just saying in general some people make this harder than it has to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just things that aren't worth it to me and amount/frequency, as others have said.

I gave up soda years before losing weight, but as I basically gave up any calories I drink that would have been one if I hadn't. I used to grab a soda or bagel for breakfast which wasn't really filling or something I enjoyed as much as my current preferred breakfasts, so I plan better now. I used to eat all kinds of extra stuff just because it appeared in my office, and I've cut that out.

On the other hand, I still fit in my high cal favorites like the occasional Indian food or Ethopian meal or banh mi or Mexican, pie on holidays, stuff like that. I like to go out to eat so still do that once or twice a week and just tend to go for lower cal options (meat and veg) on many occasions and don't use it as an excuse to splurge. I usually (not absolutely always) prefer my own burgers and pasta made for lower cal at home. But will I still get some pizza at an Italian place on occasion (or on rare occasion Chicago style)? Sure.

After the marathon I ran in February I even got chicken and waffles.

I don't really think the way I ate before was vastly different than now, either, as I ate reasonably healthfully, just too much for my size and (at the time) less active lifestyle. I just am much more mindful about where excess calories are coming in.

It's quite possible to gain weight without eating enormous amounts of excess calories. It adds up way too easily if you aren't mindful.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    None. What does "unhealthy" mean anyway?

Hmm probably fries with powdered sugar, jam, and a deep fried sandwich. I'd say that's unhealthy :)

I think you were a more adventurous eater than me. Not unhealthier just with a very different slant on food.
    Spaghetti tacos? Fries with powdered sugar and jam? Deep fried sandwiches? Never had these things or even witnessed them being eaten.

I've thought of a couple of foods I grew up eating pretty often that I would never eat now.
    Cheese Whiz and velvetta. They just taste bad to me now.
    Canned pasta or soup. Just taste super bland to me.
    Minute rice. Seems kind of gummy to me.
    Canned peas or green beans. Tastesless, mushy.

Monte Cristos. Very tasty, but you need to like ham, cheese and rich food. I used to get them every now and again (by which I mean maybe three times in my life) when I was a kid and we'd go to the Neiman Marcus cafe. They've fallen out of favor, I guess. I don't see them on menus anymore.

And I can think of a ton of food I ate growing up that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole these days. Specifically anything I was served at camp and a lot of things I ate at friends' houses. Breakfasts of stale glazed donuts and flat orange soda. Plain white bread with mayonnaise and liverwurst. Boiled hot dogs. I mean, I didn't like that stuff then but when that's what's available and you're hungry, that's what you eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I am so very glad I don't think this. It must make getting to and staying at a healthy weight harder.

I do just fine, thanks. I never said that nutritionally dense food tastes bad to me, but a bag of kale will never taste as good as a donut. And I think most people would agree with that, regardless of their weight. Just because there's something out there that tastes better doesn't mean I'm going to go get that instead of choosing something with more nutritional value.

No offense intended, I just imagine it would make things harder if your favorite foods were not nutritious. Not going to argue the point as it's something that could never be proved.

I wasn't thinking of things like kale, which are nutritious but not high calorie. I was thinking more along the lines of high calorie nutritious foods vs. high calorie foods low in nutrition. Lasagna vs. cake for example.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.

Well I don't think it's a bad thing at all to realize that some things are just not worth the calories anymore. I'm not cutting things I actually like, just think that I don't like enough for their calories. And I make room for what I want, even if it takes a few weeks to find the calories for it.

So yeah, it's sad not to be able to eat as much as I used to, but it's not like I'm depriving myself at all. Just don't see the point of wasting 300 calories on mediocre chain fries or 1200 calories on pasta loaded with butter when a 500 homemade pasta dish would satisfy me just as much. And chips? Yeah give me the choice between 140 calories of chips and 140 calories of cookies, the cookies will win every single time.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    Options

No offense intended, I just imagine it would make things harder if your favorite foods were not nutritious. Not going to argue the point as it's something that could never be proved.

I wasn't thinking of things like kale, which are nutritious but not high calorie. I was thinking more along the lines of high calorie nutritious foods vs. high calorie foods low in nutrition. Lasagna vs. cake for example.

Oh hands down Lasagna! yum...
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese sandwiches
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well I don't think it's a bad thing at all to realize that some things are just not worth the calories anymore. I'm not cutting things I actually like, just think that I don't like enough for their calories. And I make room for what I want, even if it takes a few weeks to find the calories for it.

So yeah, it's sad not to be able to eat as much as I used to, but it's not like I'm depriving myself at all. Just don't see the point of wasting 300 calories on mediocre chain fries or 1200 calories on pasta loaded with butter when a 500 homemade pasta dish would satisfy me just as much. And chips? Yeah give me the choice between 140 calories of chips and 140 calories of cookies, the cookies will win every single time.

I agree with this 100%, except I'd go for the chips. Actually I'd skip them both and have a glass of wine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

Oh man. Yeah. Although I've had maybe 2 in 3 years, but it never fills me up for the calories :'(
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Well lasagna isn't necessarily nutritious and cake isn't necessarily low in nutrition. What tastes "better" is a matter of mood and opinion, as you alluded to. Personally, I'd go for the lasagna....and cake for dessert. :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

Oh man. Yeah. Although I've had maybe 2 in 3 years, but it never fills me up for the calories :'(

Oh, that stinks.

Grilled cheese is one of my favorites, but definitely a cold weather food for me. We always have one with tomato soup. I find it to be a very filling meal, so I'm lucky in that regard. It's not great for macros, though. I'm generally looking for more protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Well lasagna isn't necessarily nutritious and cake isn't necessarily low in nutrition. What tastes "better" is a matter of mood and opinion, as you alluded to. Personally, I'd go for the lasagna....and cake for dessert. :smile:

Lasagna isn't nutritious?
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    Options

I don't disagree with that. I said the same thing about cheese and ranch too. Some things are not worth it and that's great but if in one breath you say its your favorite thing ever and in the next say you can never have it again... that's sad. I pretty much gave up sweet tea. And I live in the south where it's a staple. Doesn't mean I can never have it again. Doesn't mean it's gross or horrifying. One day I will have a glass and enjoy the hell out of it, and appreciate it. That's all i meant.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I love grilled cheese sandwiches. I had two last weekend. Two grilled cheese, a bowl of soup (usually tomato rice) and that makes for a really filling meal. Now that we're talking about it, that's totally going to be my supper tonight. Unless we decide to order pizza, in which case, pizza wins every time.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    man i eat literally everything on a weekly basis everyone is saything they cut out (except for spaghetti tacos) if i do nothing all day like when i have school (most days) i only have 1300 calories (according to fitbit and scooby) if i get 10k steps i have around 1500 a day... if i want to eat calorie dense food i get more steps/work out more....If i can fit pasta and bread and rice and ice cream and donuts then anyone can. just ate a homemade ham and cheese croissant.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I just came back from the grocery store and noticed a couple of things I ain't a'gonna do again. State Fair Corn Dogs and Brach's Chocolate Peanut Clusters.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I still eat all of the food I eat before but, Brownies at home always make me want the whole pan in one day. So I have only had them twice in the last year once when I was having problems reaching cals and another for Valentine's Day a gift from my husband. Also homemade Alfredo. I had it once. Everything else I have had on a pretty consistent basis and less eating out that was also to help with our money.