Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What's more filling, fat or proteins?

2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Drink your daily calories in cooking oil, I am sure it will fill you up all day long :rolleyes
    Drink your daily calories in cooking oil, I am sure it will fill you up all day long :rolleyes

I haven't tried it, eyeroller.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    lithezebra wrote: »

I haven't tried it, eyeroller.
    Cheers!
    stock-photo-18283636-olive-oil-being-stirred-in-wine-glass.jpg
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Satiety studies show fat is the least satiating. Boiled potato being highest on the list of most satiating.

I must be special then because I can eat a plate of potatoes and still be looking for something else. That same ve of cauliflower with some cheese would leave me overly full. Sometes I think these studies don't look deep enough at whatever they're studying. I suppose they have to start somewhere though.
  • rkampschaefer
    rkampschaefer Posts: 2 Member
    Fat has 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat will leave u more satiated when compared evenly volume for volume.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Potatoes for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Satiety studies show fat is the least satiating. Boiled potato being highest on the list of most satiating.

I must be special then because I can eat a plate of potatoes and still be looking for something else. That same ve of cauliflower with some cheese would leave me overly full. Sometes I think these studies don't look deep enough at whatever they're studying. I suppose they have to start somewhere though.

Or it's individualistic and you are just an outlier. Nothing wrong with that.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Low fat, high volume, high protein for me. I have literally never cooked a potato for myself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Starchy carbs are the most filling AND satiating for me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Depends on the person. Sometimes it's not the particular macronutrient, but the particular combination of them that helps feel full. I could eat 1600 calories of kebabs (high protein, high fat) and not feel full, but if I add bread to the mix, the same meal is properly filling to me in under 500 calories. Maybe it's combination of fat and starchy carbs that is making you feel full like it does for me. From observation, it always does for me. I could have a piece of cake (high fat high carb) as a meal because it's filling to me, but those low fat or no-grain cakes aren't. Similarly, cordon bleu chicken isn't filling (high fat and protein), but chicken in a low fat stew is. In this case the combination of fiber and protein is filling, as well as the texture of the food.

Really, it's so individual that you can't generalize it as a rule. If within the same calories certain foods fill you up more then go for them, regardless of what others think of these food choices.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    For me, Protein is most filling, followed closely by fat and fibre.
    I make a hot chocolate with 20g psyllium husk powder mixed in and it sits in my tummy like a big marshmallow keeping me full for hours.And if I substitute the cocoa for a scoop of protein powder I can have it as a meal!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Whatever is in a Big Mac. One of those and I'm full for the rest of the day! :p
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    It's the combination of fat and protein, mostly fat if you're talking about pizza. It's the fat. If it were just dough, it wouldn't fill you up. You'd be hungry an hour later. It's all that cheese and greasy goodness.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    For me, Protein is most filling, followed closely by fat and fibre.
    I make a hot chocolate with 20g psyllium husk powder mixed in and it sits in my tummy like a big marshmallow keeping me full for hours.And if I substitute the cocoa for a scoop of protein powder I can have it as a meal!

20g of fiber? That's a marshmallow? I'd think it more like the Stay Puft.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    For me I usually find proteins more filling, but it does vary a little bit with textures, types, etc. Certain fats fill me up, but rarely unless they are moderate protein as well.

I've never binged on chicken breast cooked in any lean form. But I've binged on good fried chicken. The same for lean vs fattier cuts of steak or most meats. I can actually eat more and usually desire more when it's a cut that adds more fat.

Fish is one exception to my overall trend. I can eat loads of lean fish, often as much if not more than the same fish fried or made in a fat adding way, as well as fish that is naturally more fatty. I'm glad most fish is not calorie dense as compared to nutritional content.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Your thread has sent me on a long-winded search after several people here reported they feel full on junk food, which is usually high in carbs (and fat). I thought I was an outlier because starchy foods fill me up more than anything else, and when I saw I have company I decided to look more into it and I found these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17524176

Apparently I'm more typical than I thought in feeling like potatoes are the most satiating food on earth. The first mini-study also concludes that satiety responses are less predictable and more varied than previously thought, basically different individuals respond differently to certain foods.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited March 2016
    Another vote here for it being combinations. A single macro meal will leave me unsatisfied, no matter which macro it is, but cheesy eggs on toast or a steak with a salad and full fat dressing will keep me going for hours. Also, fiber doesn't seem to do anything for me. I'm not sure why.

Eta: Although, if I were in a rush and had to pick a quick snack that would give me the most bang for my buck, I would definitely reach for a slice of cheese over fruit or beef jerky.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

So it doesn't apply to you...therefore studies are invalid...ok then...give me a break.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Your thread has sent me on a long-winded search after several people here reported they feel full on junk food, which is usually high in carbs (and fat). I thought I was an outlier because starchy foods fill me up more than anything else, and when I saw I have company I decided to look more into it and I found these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17524176

Apparently I'm more typical than I thought in feeling like potatoes are the most satiating food on earth. The first mini-study also concludes that satiety responses are less predictable and more varied than previously thought, basically different individuals respond differently to certain foods.

Many people seem to like to assert that fat is satiating and carbs never are as if that were a universal truth when in fact it seems to be the minority position. There's lots of individual variation and the refusal by some to acknowledge this is odd (and annoying, IMO).
This discussion has been closed.