Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What's more filling, fat or proteins?

Kimber1012001
Kimber1012001 Posts: 30 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Hey all,

Heres a stumper for you...I can eat 2 slices of store bought pizza (with like a good thick crust) and feel satiated for hrs but I eat a healthy salad w beans, quinoa, veggies, olive oil dressing, the whole nine yards and I'm hungry in an hr.

What gives? Is it the fat in the cheese that's making me full? The bread?

Thank you!!

Kimberly

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I'm pretty sure it's an individual thing...I don't think satiety is universal. Personally, whole grains and starches fill me up more than anything.

That said, I'm pretty sure a salad isn't going to fill me up...I'd much prefer to have 4-6 ounces of some kind of lean protein along with a cup or so of whatever veg and about a cooked cup of some kind of grain...that would fill me up. Even with the toppings you noted, they would be a relatively small part of the salad and wouldn't fill me up. If I have a salad, it's usually in conjunction with something else...like maybe I'd throw about 4 ounces of chicken breast on there or something.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Bacon and peanut butter...either answer is correct. B)

PB-Bacon-Bites-Cover.jpg

Seriously though - I think a combo of lean protein with some fat is my favorite. But then again, I love a grilled rib-eye steak (but I will trim the big globs of fat).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Hey all,

Heres a stumper for you...I can eat 2 slices of store bought pizza (with like a good thick crust) and feel satiated for hrs but I eat a healthy salad w beans, quinoa, veggies, olive oil dressing, the whole nine yards and I'm hungry in an hr.

Thank you!!

Kimberly

Are those 2 options similar in calories? It sounds like the pizza would be higher, but you don't give serving sizes. If the pizza is higher then I'd say it's the calories keeping you full longer.

I find fat and protein usually about equal for satiety.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm guessing that pizza has a lot more fat to it than the salad you described. If I have a salad with sufficient fat and protein I am satisfied. If I ate the salad you described, I would not be happy for very long. It's a matter of the amount of fat/protein for me. I also agree with N2E, how many calories are we talking for each?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Depends on the person. Carbs, especially the "bad" carbs, are most filling for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yep, satiety is personal. I basically can't eat many carbs in a deficit. I will be hungry immediately after I finish eating. I would be way more full with a huge salad, including a lot of protein from a lean meat source. The salad could have very little fat, and veggies the only source of carbs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    It's an individual thing.

And it isn't just based on macros - that's the physical aspect. There's psychology behind it, too. If you really want something warm and gooey and eat something cold and crunchy, you're not likely to be satisfied even you overate.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2016
    It's a synergy for me. Assuming I am hungry when I eat these things, if I just have lean protein (chicken breast), I would not be satisfied. If I just have coconut oil in my coffee, I am not satisfied. But together, even calories being the same, I am more satisfied. However, if I have eaten earlier in the day, adding fat keeps things going whereas adding protein does not. I hope I explained that well.
    Carbs generally make me hungry an hour later (might be mental more so than physical, admittedly).

Recipe for peanut butter bacon balls, please?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Fat does it for me. The least hungry I've ever felt is when I've had heavy cream for breakfast, and nothing else all day. It was an experiment, and obviously, not something I'll do often.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Depends on the person. Carbs, especially the "bad" carbs, are most filling for me.

Same.

Also, are the peanut butter bacon balls an example of a "fat bomb?" Because that sounds incredibly gross.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it depends on that food specifically.

For example, both potatoes and oatmeal (carbs) keep me full for hours.

But so does some high fat food like cheese fries, cheesecake, gelato.

Then theres some food high in protein- faux meats, tofu, beans/lentils.

So... really i think it depends on your specifically. I don't think it's one macronutrient in particular that is "super duper filling". There's plenty of foods high in these macronutrients which don't keep me full at all... like protein drinks, bread, apples, etc.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I can eat half of a large pizza, still feel hungry and be craving ice cream within an hour. If I eat the same amount of calorie in meat, veg, and fat I can go hours without feeling hungry and when I do get hungry I'm still ok for awhile. All that to say I think it depends on the person. At the end of the day it's your diet and your body so you have to do what works for you. My daughters, who have no issues with insulin like me, love pizza piled high with veggies so there are ways to make pizza healthier if one feels the needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Fat doesn't fill me up at all -- wish it did. It's basically protein and fiber. Legumes are quite filling for me, one of the most filling things I eat. Volume matters for me too.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Satiety studies show fat is the least satiating. Boiled potato being highest on the list of most satiating.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I find fibre to be the biggest factor in feeling physically satiated, but I can sometimes feel strangely "full but unfulfilled" if I don't add at least a little fat. High fat without plenty of fibre doesn't make much of a dent in my appetite, though.

So far, veggie and bean chili with 1/2 an avocado or a couple of cups of fresh strawberries and bananas with 2 Tbsp of sunflowers are the most filling combinations I've found, calorie for calorie.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I found the recipe: http://dudefoods.com/deep-fried-bacon-wrapped-peanut-butter-balls/
    It's not a "fat bomb" but could possibly be one? I don't do a lot of weird keto cooking, but maybe coconut or almond flour can be used in place of flour & panko?

Everything in moderation, right? >:)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Filling and satiating are two different things. Water fills me up, especially the water in vegetables and fruits. Fat turns off my appetite.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Drink your daily calories in cooking oil, I am sure it will fill you up all day long :rolleyes
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Hey all,

Thank you!!

Kimberly

Personally, I find that protein is more filling. Sometimes I'm so stuffed with 114 grams per day that I struggle to reach my macros.
This discussion has been closed.