My nipples hurt from the friction

Options
Ok now that I've got the awkward TMI part of the question out of the way, I've been running more and want to continue but I'm dealing with some...discomfort... What suggestions do you have? And particular brand of wicking shirts I can try? Do I just need to work through it and it'll go away?

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have a male friend who has the same issues. Fortunately for him, he's a nurse and he goes and gets some sort of nipple covers that are designed for nursing mothers. They work! You might look into something like that, but there's also tons of anti-chafing creams and of course, always Band-Aids. Some types of medical tape (Durapore silk tape) might stick better than Band-Aids. Check with local running clubs or other runners you know who may have the same problem.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Compression tops.

And for more than 14 miles, a bit of Vaseline.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't run in cotton - and try the Durapore.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon, and you can find pictures of people finishing marathons with blood on the front of their shirts from bleeding nipples. You need to take action because while yours may not be bleeding yet, they are likely starting to scab and become hyper-sensitive.

You can get Nip Gaurds at running and some sporting goods stores, band-aids, various anti-chafe creams & sticks, even Vasoline.

I have that problem in cold weather and l make a point of wearing a tight wicking shirt as a base layer. Avoid cotton because it soaks up sweat and become heavier. Which just makes the friction worse. Also avoid textured tech fabrics, because they act like a cheese grater.

You'll know it's bad when you scream in the shower when the water hits your chest. Been there, done that, wife wondered what the hell happened.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    "Nip Guards" are nothing more than 3M Transpore tape. Get a roll and tear of small pieces to cover the nipples and you are set. No need to spend a fortune on specially cut tape.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    plus size halter bras might work. Some of them are made with very smooth thin fabric, and should you happen to have "moobs", this would also give some support. Plus, they are re-usable and therefore green.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you tried BodyGlide? It's an antichafing stick you can buy at running stores and drugstores.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Water proof bandaids are a cheap easy fix.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had a friend with pierced nipples that used to tape snapple caps over them when we went to shows so his rings wouldn't get ripped out in the pit. That might work...it's also completely ridiculous so maybe just try the body glide.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I had a friend with pierced nipples that used to tape snapple caps over them when we went to shows so his rings wouldn't get ripped out in the pit. That might work...it's also completely ridiculous so maybe just try the body glide.

Wat
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ran in cotton and sweat wicking materials. Never understood how this can happen. Still amazed.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it sucks. I have been using bandaids and they work, just one over each nipple. Dont try and push through the pain because from my experience it wont go away.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vaseline.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »
    Vaseline.
    Vaseline can stain clothes. Body glide won't stain. You can find body glide in most athletic stores.

I still think bandaids are the easiest.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    plus size halter bras might work. Some of them are made with very smooth thin fabric, and should you happen to have "moobs", this would also give some support. Plus, they are re-usable and therefore green.

I have always wondered why this isn't a (seemingly) more popular solution.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    When I first started running that was the first problem I had. I was sore for weeks. I was running with cotton shirts with prints etc. I only wear moisture wicking shirts now. I wear the Old Navy Active Wear shirts (nothing high tech or fancy)...I dont experience these issues anymore.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »

I have always wondered why this isn't a (seemingly) more popular solution.

Halter bras can sometimes cause uncomfortable chafing in other areas. While probably not as painful as bleeding nipples, it might for some folks be just trading one issue for another. :) But... I'm a girl, so my opinion might not be valid here. ;)
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do you all have extremely long nipples, or are you just running insane mileage?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »
    Vaseline.
    Vaseline can stain clothes.

It's running kit, not a catwalk show.

It goes into the washing machine immediately after training as it's saturated anyway.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Do you all have extremely long nipples, or are you just running insane mileage?

My worst time was only 8K. It can depend on lots of things, but some people suffer more than others.