Do you "hide" your dieting in public/with friends?

Options
This happened to me today and just wondered what other ppl do....
So I'm doing insanity and following the nutrition plan. It's pretty prescriptive food ratios etc:
So I made myself a lunch, took it with me to the kids party I was taking my daughter to and then when everyone else went to order food (we were at one of those kids indoor play places) I just felt too self conscious to get out my pre-prepared wholeweat pitta. So instead went and ordered pizza and chips like everyone else and then sat and ate a tiny amount because I didn't really want to eat it and ruin my diet, and so sat there starving all afternoon?
Told hubby and he said I'm insane, like anyone cares if I'm on a diet! But I know women and women talk!! And you always get the comments "one slice of pizza isn't going to kill you" from the skinniest person there.
Even I think I'm crazy but I would like to know if I'm the only one who doesn't like to say I'm dieting to people outside my close family and friends?

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Next time tell them you're in training and eat your own, healthy lunch. You can be training for anything, a 5k, a half marathon, a century ride, or a healthy old age. I don't ever say I'm dieting. To me it's just the way I choose to live my life.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you should have eaten before hand so you wouldn't have been starving all afternoon. that's usually when people lose control and tend to eat a bunch of crap they otherwise wouldn't have. you also could have brought an apple or even some carrots to much on later while you were watching the kids. there are always ways to avoid this situation.

also, telling people "i'm not very hungry, i already ate, but thank you anyway" is a completely acceptable answer.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Nope. They know I fast until dinnertime. And at dinnertime, I eat more than every female and most of the males in the room, so it's kind of hard to hide that.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat before hand or plan to eat after and grab something small that i have planned for. I know at most fast food places what a reasonable snack would be for me. Mcdonalds it would be a snack wrap. Pizza i would get one slice of vegetarian with lots of veggies, no dip, no chips, tap water to drink. I often use casual vegetarianism to make healthier choices and not be weird about it. I have to admit i would draw the line at bringing my own food to a fast food restaurant. I would rather have nothing than pack a lunch to an eating establishment
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I do hide my dieting as well. I have a friend at work who, in the past when I've tried to eat healthily, intentionally waved temptation in my face (she would open up Oreos or a bag of Pringles and just leave them sitting by me). It's not out of malicious intent, she just thinks that bingeing is healthy/important (a surprisingly prevalent and weird idea). Some people also try to talk me out of it, saying that I should stay the weight I am because I'm not fat. It is hard to convince them that I don't suffer from body image problems and I just want to be healthy, fit and confident!

Even people who agree with dieting are not always productive because they can ask probing questions about what kind of diet I'm participating in and end up trying to tell me that I should be doing something different.

So, yeah, all in all most people (through little fault of their own) just don't know how to handle the issue delicately. I try to avoid drawing attention to it.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't hide that I'm on a "diet". I use that term lightly, because I'm trying not to classify what I'm doing as dieting per say. I adjust my eating on days when I'm going out with friends, or at a company lunch or whatever event happens to be going on. I would have had an apple or banana for breakfast or possibly just coffee and plan a light dinner, like chicken and salad so that I could just enjoy a slice of pizza at lunch guilt free, knowing I had calories to play with. I'm not familiar with your diet plan so I'm not sure how far off of plan pizza is.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who always brings her prepared meals with her, even when we go out to dinner. She is a fitness freak and I admire that.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No. im very open about it to friends family colleagues and gym members.

why hide who you are, what you do and what you hope to become just because they dont want to change their lifestyle??
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think the word diet in itself was a mistake to use!

Most people get used to it, and initially they'll make comments, but it soon becomes the norm.

I agree with eating before - Why put yourself in a position to have to resist temptations? Eat before, say you've eaten, entertain yourself while they pig out.

It's definitely about having the confidence to tell people you're not doing the same things as them.

Good luck!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do not hide that I am eating healthy. I even bring my scale with me if we are invited over to someone's house for dinner. If they want to talk then go ahead. It is not hurting me, I am the one that is being healthy.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I generally don't really mention it to people but if I'm in one of those situations I just tell them I've been preparing my meals and if anyone asks why (usually they don't) you can say whatever reason you want - getting fitter, saving money whatever you like :)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Your husband made a valid point re "insane."
    Why on earth are people so concerned about what other people think of what they are eating or not eating. You can't control what other people think anyway. Let it go and do what you want to do.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Just call it a cleanse instead. Then they're either confused or interested. Just say, 'I'm doing this cleanse to rid toxins from my body'. If they're interested they'll ask. Otherwise they will just be scared of the 'toxins' in their own body and not want to know. ;-)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't mention dieting with my friends, because I usually get, "Oh one cookie won't hurt!" or "You're so tiny already!" If it's a matter of eating what you packed or buying something, budget can be a good excuse. "I packed my lunch, trying to cut down on money spent eating out." That should be a pretty acceptable reason to anyone you're with and leaves out the word "diet".
  • junction18
    Options
    i used to try and hide my dieting but as you get older you realise that a lot of people are trying to cut down on food so do try to tell people that you are watching what you eat
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't hide that I'm on a "diet". I use that term lightly, because I'm trying not to classify what I'm doing as dieting per say. I adjust my eating on days when I'm going out with friends, or at a company lunch or whatever event happens to be going on. I would have had an apple or banana for breakfast or possibly just coffee and plan a light dinner, like chicken and salad so that I could just enjoy a slice of pizza at lunch guilt free, knowing I had calories to play with. I'm not familiar with your diet plan so I'm not sure how far off of plan pizza is.

^^^ Same here. If I was at a really good friend's house or had people over, I might bring/make my own food, but usually I'll just plan my day ahead for that meal.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i would eat before or after.

people would have to be deaf to not know something about me getting healthier.
    i've been talking about it my whole life, although now i can actually talk about other subjects some of the time.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    its a personal choice, i suppose. for me, even though i was extremely embarrassed to admit my weight gain, i made sure to let everyone know. it was easier for me to be held accountable for. do not self-sabotage yourself for the sake of others! be proud!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't hide my "diet" because its a LIFESTYLE for me - I have food allergies and people know it so why can't I eat healthier choices and let them know it? I am not telling them I don't "approve" of their choices, I just don't want those choices for ME and my health.