Height-fudging is detrimental to your health?

Options
13»

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm 4'11" and always say that I am. :)

And I haven't met many women who lie about their height but met mostly men over the years that did that. I remember back in my single days talking to men online who say they are 6' tall and meet and they are more like 5'7-5'9. LOL What's the point in lying when you're going to meet the person and they will see you eventually? I like my men tall. Hubby is 6'.

Yup, when I was doing online dating the vast majority of men added an inch or two to their height. I even had a guy who was 6'3" say he was 6'4" (my roommate at the time was 6'4" and I was very familiar with that height.)

For the under 6' guys, I bet it's partially because a lot of women who like tall guys set their filters to start at 6' and partially due to the factors listed here: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-biggest-lies-in-online-dating/

I was advised by someone on the POF forum once to lie about my height because being small would put off just about everyone.

Also, someone on a course I was on said I should try and date Asian women. I didn't know if they meant I should go round Chinatown asking out women though.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm either 5'10 or 5'11. Based on who is measuring me. #tallgirl
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

And I haven't met many women who lie about their height but met mostly men over the years that did that. I remember back in my single days talking to men online who say they are 6' tall and meet and they are more like 5'7-5'9. LOL What's the point in lying when you're going to meet the person and they will see you eventually? I like my men tall. Hubby is 6'.

Yup, when I was doing online dating the vast majority of men added an inch or two to their height. I even had a guy who was 6'3" say he was 6'4" (my roommate at the time was 6'4" and I was very familiar with that height.)

For the under 6' guys, I bet it's partially because a lot of women who like tall guys set their filters to start at 6' and partially due to the factors listed here: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-biggest-lies-in-online-dating/

I was advised by someone on the POF forum once to lie about my height because being small would put off just about everyone.

Also, someone on a course I was on said I should try and date Asian women. I didn't know if they meant I should go round Chinatown asking out women though.

Lying about your height only works if you plan on never meeting the woman IRL.

• Scamd83
    Options

Lying about your height only works if you plan on never meeting the woman IRL.

That occurred to me the moment I realised there were no shoes in any shops that could make me taller without looking silly.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

I can't believe how many women are unwilling to consider a man of lesser than average height. Discrimination along those lines is short sighted and stupid if you ask me. I'm sure we've all seem a disproportionate number of young women choose men of the sleaziest character, as long as they're tallish and have the gift of gab. Some of the funniest and nicest men I've known, men of honorable character, have been shorties. Women would be lucky and blessed to have them.

I personally cannot complain because I'd be reluctant to date a woman who was taller than me. I don't know why, it's silly, but the reluctance is there. So any woman rejecting me over my height I'd just have to accept that's their personal preference which I'd be a hypocrite to argue against.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

I can't believe how many women are unwilling to consider a man of lesser than average height. Discrimination along those lines is short sighted and stupid if you ask me. I'm sure we've all seem a disproportionate number of young women choose men of the sleaziest character, as long as they're tallish and have the gift of gab. Some of the funniest and nicest men I've known, men of honorable character, have been shorties. Women would be lucky and blessed to have them.

It's not discrimination; it's having a preference. We're allowed.

I'm almost 5'7" and have a large frame. Back in the day, my best friend was under 5 feet. It never bothered me when men preferred her body type over mine. They are allowed to have preferences too.

• Scamd83
    Options
    Only just noticed this probably unintended play on words:

Discrimination along those lines is short sighted and stupid if you ask me.

Made me a chuckle for a few minutes.

Anyway, I agree attraction or lack of is not discrimination as the law would define. I mean I guess technically it is because discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit. But nobody is obliged to like a particular person and nor should anyone be told they're wrong for liking what/who they like. I've been turned down plenty of times but equally I've decided against trying to interact with someone for the same reasons. I bet everyone who has ever been turned down for reasons of height, attraction, personality, features, etc has on at least one occasion decided against being interested in someone for one of the same reasons. I think people only complain that they've been turned down because they really liked that specific person based on very specific characteristics/features which if they didn't have, they would never have bothered in the first place. Basically, we're all as bad as each other.
  • xnearlytherebx
    xnearlytherebx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5'9 and satisfied
  • irshgrl500
    irshgrl500 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    I've always rounded down to 5'8" cause it's an ok height when in reality I'm a bit taller

Taller than 5'8" is not OK?

Huh? Why would you ever want to be shorter?

If you always did something thst required a partner taller than you, you'd want to be shorter.

I do tons of social dancing, mostly Latin.

It doesn't actually matter all that much, especially if a shorter lead is really good. Granted, it probably doesn't always look great, but that doesn't prevent it from being fun, which is the point for me.

When I was younger and performing, it did limit me a little...but I still wish that I could be taller. Tall is elegant and capable and strong...I can't imagine ever wanting to be less than what I am.

The few times that I've danced with a guy who was closer to my height instead of taller, it was great!

It's 5'4". But You're right it doesn't matter, in general but I just felt it did matter when determining a HEALTHY weight range for your height. There has been so many great contributions on this thread. Thank you so much, for your's.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357769-weight-height-for-the-average-american-woman/
  • irshgrl500
    irshgrl500 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    irshgrl500 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've noticed, not only in everyday society but here too, on MFP, that a lot of people seem to add an inch or so to their height. I guess it is the "in" thing to be tall or perhaps society perceives tall people more favorably (I always wanted to be 5'1" and teeny tiny, when I was a teen) but the MAJORITY of the women on MFP are listed as between 5'6'-5'9". That can't be possible when the average height for an American woman is 5'4"-5'4.5" (not 5'5"). I've noticed too, several of my friends (females) state they are 5'5" when they are more likely 5'3" (I am 5'7.5", and too state I'm 5'8").
    Here's the thing: if you're adding an inch - an inch and a half to your height, when dieting or trying to reach or maintain the ideal weight for your height and age, aren't you doing yourself a disservice by not stating your ACTUAL height? What I mean by disservice is a health disservice.

The CDC has the average height listed as 5' 3.8" for American women. However, just because it's the average doesn't mean that most women will be that height. Example: Say you have two women at 5', two at 5'2, one at 5'4, one at 5'6, one at 5'7, and one at 5'8. The average height is 5' 3.625". None of the women in the example are that exact height, but that is still the average.

You also have to remember that this site/app isn't used by just Americans.

Absolutely! I for one, was simply restricting my post to American women, and should not have. My bad. Thanks.