Height-fudging is detrimental to your health?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I round up a bit, but not by much. I think my true height is close to 5'7.5", but I usually say 5'8". I will say, there is some significance for me in a half inch difference since I'm on the border between being classified by the CDC as underweight vs normal weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5", so I have always ran the numbers for 5'8" and 5'9". Depending on the calculator I get about a 0-10 calorie difference in BMR and TDEE. BMI changes by around .5 when I run the numbers for both heights.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I thought only the guys fudged on their height ;) I don't.....mine is listed as correct. But that can't stop me from WISHING I was taller!
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could lie about not being a chunky *kitten* at 5'4" lmao
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I've always rounded down to 5'8" cause it's an ok height when in reality I'm a bit taller

Taller than 5'8" is not OK?

Huh? Why would you ever want to be shorter?

If you always did something thst required a partner taller than you, you'd want to be shorter.

I do tons of social dancing, mostly Latin.

It doesn't actually matter all that much, especially if a shorter lead is really good. Granted, it probably doesn't always look great, but that doesn't prevent it from being fun, which is the point for me.

When I was younger and performing, it did limit me a little...but I still wish that I could be taller. Tall is elegant and capable and strong...I can't imagine ever wanting to be less than what I am.
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5ft1, but it doesn't worry me really.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I've always rounded down to 5'8" cause it's an ok height when in reality I'm a bit taller

If you always did something thst required a partner taller than you, you'd want to be shorter.

It doesn't actually matter all that much, especially if a shorter lead is really good. Granted, it probably doesn't always look great, but that doesn't prevent it from being fun, which is the point for me.

When I was younger and performing, it did limit me a little...but I still wish that I could be taller. Tall is elegant and capable and strong...I can't imagine ever wanting to be less than what I am.

It matters in figure skating which I did and still do competitively. Ever seen a shorter guy lift a taller girl. ya no.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options

It matters in figure skating which I did and still do competitively. Ever seen a shorter guy lift a taller girl. ya no.

Damn i cant lift you Ali because youre 6'4! ugh tall giant
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The average height was gotten a little taller over the years. The last time I looked at an average height for American women it was 5'5." Height matters to me not at all as a point of vanity. I use my real height, as precisely as I can enter it, or round to the nearest inch.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My goals are never ideal by other people standards.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

The few times that I've danced with a guy who was closer to my height instead of taller, it was great!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,621 Member
    Options
    It'd only be a big diservice if you're supposed to be a certain height or weight to meet specs for a ride or something (zipline, parachuting, etc.) For weight loss, not so much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    irshgrl500 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've noticed, not only in everyday society but here too, on MFP, that a lot of people seem to add an inch or so to their height. I guess it is the "in" thing to be tall or perhaps society perceives tall people more favorably (I always wanted to be 5'1" and teeny tiny, when I was a teen) but the MAJORITY of the women on MFP are listed as between 5'6'-5'9". That can't be possible when the average height for an American woman is 5'4"-5'4.5" (not 5'5"). I've noticed too, several of my friends (females) state they are 5'5" when they are more likely 5'3" (I am 5'7.5", and too state I'm 5'8").
    Here's the thing: if you're adding an inch - an inch and a half to your height, when dieting or trying to reach or maintain the ideal weight for your height and age, aren't you doing yourself a disservice by not stating your ACTUAL height? What I mean by disservice is a health disservice.

The CDC has the average height listed as 5' 3.8" for American women. However, just because it's the average doesn't mean that most women will be that height. Example: Say you have two women at 5', two at 5'2, one at 5'4, one at 5'6, one at 5'7, and one at 5'8. The average height is 5' 3.625". None of the women in the example are that exact height, but that is still the average.

You also have to remember that this site/app isn't used by just Americans.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm legit 6'0. I spent most of my adult life believing I was 5'11'' until I saw a new DR and they took height and weight for their own records. I was SO upset. I know it's only an inch but I HATED being tall my whole life and being in a whole new foot category was devastating for me at first. So my massive height definitely helps skew the "Average" haha.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and always say that I am. :)

And I haven't met many women who lie about their height but met mostly men over the years that did that. I remember back in my single days talking to men online who say they are 6' tall and meet and they are more like 5'7-5'9. LOL What's the point in lying when you're going to meet the person and they will see you eventually? I like my men tall. Hubby is 6'.
  • BeefyUk
    BeefyUk Posts: 2,602 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 '2" & absolutely adore smaller women 5'5" & under >:)>:)
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and a half, which for some reason makes me feel a lot better than simply saying 5'4. I thought I was 5'5 once but then someone decided to measure me and I lost half an inch. I then refused to help them reach a box on top of their wardrobe because I felt as I've shrank I'd no longer be able to reach it.
    Those liars! Ha ha. Sorry, I found this funny. I'm your "teen dream" of 5'1" and I would never fudge it. I can hit 5'5" in heels. And that's the truth. If I stood on a box in said heels, I'd hit 5'8". Now, considering changing my height. Because I do have on heels and I've plenty of boxes.

If I ever bumped into you I hope you wouldn't be wearing heels for the sake of my self esteem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I say I'm 5'6.5" in threads here but input 5'6" into MFP.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    irshgrl500 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've noticed, not only in everyday society but here too, on MFP, that a lot of people seem to add an inch or so to their height. I guess it is the "in" thing to be tall or perhaps society perceives tall people more favorably (I always wanted to be 5'1" and teeny tiny, when I was a teen) but the MAJORITY of the women on MFP are listed as between 5'6'-5'9". That can't be possible when the average height for an American woman is 5'4"-5'4.5" (not 5'5"). I've noticed too, several of my friends (females) state they are 5'5" when they are more likely 5'3" (I am 5'7.5", and too state I'm 5'8").
    Here's the thing: if you're adding an inch - an inch and a half to your height, when dieting or trying to reach or maintain the ideal weight for your height and age, aren't you doing yourself a disservice by not stating your ACTUAL height? What I mean by disservice is a health disservice.

Is there a MFP demographics page? I'd want to also factor in the percentage of Americans, and their ages. I imagine the average height of younger American women is more that all American women.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm 4'11" and always say that I am. :)

And I haven't met many women who lie about their height but met mostly men over the years that did that. I remember back in my single days talking to men online who say they are 6' tall and meet and they are more like 5'7-5'9. LOL What's the point in lying when you're going to meet the person and they will see you eventually? I like my men tall. Hubby is 6'.

Yup, when I was doing online dating the vast majority of men added an inch or two to their height. I even had a guy who was 6'3" say he was 6'4" (my roommate at the time was 6'4" and I was very familiar with that height.)

For the under 6' guys, I bet it's partially because a lot of women who like tall guys set their filters to start at 6' and partially due to the factors listed here: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-biggest-lies-in-online-dating/