Height-fudging is detrimental to your health?

Options
irshgrl500
irshgrl500 Posts: 28 Member
Hi everyone,
I've noticed, not only in everyday society but here too, on MFP, that a lot of people seem to add an inch or so to their height. I guess it is the "in" thing to be tall or perhaps society perceives tall people more favorably (I always wanted to be 5'1" and teeny tiny, when I was a teen) but the MAJORITY of the women on MFP are listed as between 5'6'-5'9". That can't be possible when the average height for an American woman is 5'4"-5'4.5" (not 5'5"). I've noticed too, several of my friends (females) state they are 5'5" when they are more likely 5'3" (I am 5'7.5", and too state I'm 5'8").
Here's the thing: if you're adding an inch - an inch and a half to your height, when dieting or trying to reach or maintain the ideal weight for your height and age, aren't you doing yourself a disservice by not stating your ACTUAL height? What I mean by disservice is a health disservice.

Replies

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Those liars! Ha ha. Sorry, I found this funny. I'm your "teen dream" of 5'1" and I would never fudge it. I can hit 5'5" in heels. And that's the truth. If I stood on a box in said heels, I'd hit 5'8". Now, considering changing my height. Because I do have on heels and I've plenty of boxes.
  • irshgrl500
    Options
    Those liars! Ha ha. Sorry, I found this funny. I'm your "teen dream" of 5'1" and I would never fudge it. I can hit 5'5" in heels. And that's the truth. If I stood on a box in said heels, I'd hit 5'8". Now, considering changing my height. Because I do have on heels and I've plenty of boxes.

LOL, love your style, Cindy. Thanks for your reply.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Over-thinking this. There is no such thing as "ideal weight". It's a range - an inch or two won't create such dramatic health changing variation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I round down (to 5' 11")...

...for optimal health.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I've always rounded down to 5'8" cause it's an ok height when in reality I'm a bit taller
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    5'11 here all day.

I want my women to be like @synchkat though, shes perfect
  • synchkat
    Options
    5'11 here all day.

But I just admitted I lie
    BTW @JeffreyMGiron can you get me that thing on the bottom shelf. ;) Mmmmm thanks
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    5'11 here all day.

But I just admitted I lie
    BTW @JeffreyMGiron can you get me that thing on the bottom shelf. ;) Mmmmm thanks

ahahah Ali, you dont need me too you have a forever still of it ;)
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I set mine for 5'6 even though at my doctor they go back and forth from 5'6 to 5'7 for the reason of I would rather it underestimate then overestimate.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.75" and I say I am 5'8. I guess my health is being compromised because of this.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    How do you know what the height is of the majority of women here?

Also, you do know that not everyone here is American, right?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I do the opposite and round down, at least for BMI and dieting purposes.

I sometimes get measured as 5'10" and sometimes as 5'11." I figure that this is because so many of the nurses who work in doctors' offices are SO short that they can't accurately measure someone my height.

I would easily be 6'1" if I didn't have bad scoliosis...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've always rounded down to 5'8" cause it's an ok height when in reality I'm a bit taller

Taller than 5'8" is not OK?

Huh? Why would you ever want to be shorter?
  • bigcountry0430
    bigcountry0430 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    6'7" and that's no rounding up
  • irshgrl500
    Options
    I'm 5'7.75" and I say I am 5'8. I guess my health is being compromised because of this.
    Sounds about right. Bump!
  • irshgrl500
    Options
    How do you know what the height is of the majority of women here?

Also, you do know that not everyone here is American, right?

Good point.
  • irshgrl500
    Options
    6'7" and that's no rounding up

Wow!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    That's funny. I thought I was 5' 4.5" for years. Then I was measured at 5' 5" a little while ago. I didn't believe it. I had several different people with a couple ways measure me. So I guess I was doing the opposite for years.
  • synchkat
    Options

Taller than 5'8" is not OK?

Huh? Why would you ever want to be shorter?

If you always did something thst required a partner taller than you, you'd want to be shorter.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    5'6" here. I always thought that was average for a female. What do I know? I'm taller than some women, shorter than others. Not sure why anyone would fudge.