Uk Vs. USA

Options

Replies

• J3ffthatcher
    J3ffthatcher Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    See, this thread explains why it took two seasons of Top Gear before I got Clarkson's jokes. Now people look at me funny when I use the terms "bonnet" and "boot" in reference to cars.

And we haven't even gotten into cockney rhyming slang.....I think Icelandic is easier to learn.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You can move on from bonnet, bumper and boot to funny foods.

Jam roly poly
    Toad in the hole
    Yorkshire pudding - not a dessert
    Spotted dick - really is a dessert
    Black pudding - definitely not a dessert
    Marmite
    Soldiers
    Shepherds' pie - not a pie
    Bubble & Squeak

I feel hungry now!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    What about dippy egg and soldiers? I don't think that translates :) but it is an essential of life!
    My favourite 'home alone in front of the TV' dinner! What my lovely MIL (RIP) would have called a 'nursery tea'. Also, in North America people don't do the 'things on toast' the same way the Brits do. My kids have grown up making themselves beans on toast but their friends think it's weird.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    See, this thread explains why it took two seasons of Top Gear before I got Clarkson's jokes.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! That cracked me up!!!

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @SueSueDio I grew up eating toads in a hole and I'm Canadian :)
  • CollieFit
    edited March 2016
    Options

Jam roly poly
    Toad in the hole
    Marmite
    Soldiers
    Bubble & Squeak

I feel hungry now!

Welsh Rarebit
    Cullen Skink
    Singing Hinnies
    Angels on Horseback
    Stargazy Pie
    Laverbread

:smiley:
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Oh I just googled and my childhood toad in a hole is not the same as the UK toad in a hole.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    and how could we forget... Bangers & Mash.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Oh I just googled and my childhood toad in a hole is not the same as the UK toad in a hole.

What toad was in your hole then? :D
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Jam roly poly
    Toad in the hole
    Marmite
    Soldiers
    Bubble & Squeak

I feel hungry now!

Welsh Rarebit
    Cullen Skink
    Singing Hinnies
    Angels on Horseback
    Stargazy Pie
    Laverbread

:smiley:

Bangers
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    Ah yes. There is a big regional / class divide over what you call your meals and when they are taken in the UK.

Breakfast / brekkie - self explanatory
    Elevenses - a mid morning snack
    Lunch / Dinner - your mid day meal. If you call it lunch, then your evening meal is likely dinner, but you may have tea if it is earlier, if you call it dinner you probably call it tea no matter what time you take it. If it is a packed lunch (prepared and taken with you) it might also be referred to by a regional name such as "snap" or "croust".
    Tea - a light meal taken mid to late afternoon or your evening meal (see above).
    High Tea - a somewhat ceremonial tea of small sandwiches, cakes and the like. Usually with a pot of tea to drink.
    Dinner - your main meal taken early evening
    Supper - a light meal taken in the late evening

Simple really :)

In the US, everybody is on the same page with the meaning of breakfast (morning meal) and lunch (a meal close too noon). The difference between dinner and supper has lost its meaning in most places and are used by different people to mean the same thing or the term supper isn't used at all. For many, their late evening meal is their main meal, so that might explain part of it. "Supper" has a certain connection to rural/agricultural areas because it used to have a specific meaning (same as the British) in places where life revolved around farming activities. I think I use both because I grew up hearing my parents refer to dinner as supper and they still do. Many people don't use the word "supper" but they know it generally means a meal you eat in the evening. The map below shows the regional differences if people are asked to make a distinction between them.

Cool map. I know the historical difference between dinner and supper, and my grandfather used "supper" (also he was a farmer), but definitely fall into the "never use supper" category. To me it doesn't sound like a current word at all, which I know is regional.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

What toad was in your hole then? :D

Ours is a piece of bread with a hole cut out (shot glass size) fried with an egg in the hole.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    My parents in law have both, dinner and supper. Dinner is about 6pm. Supper is more like a 9pm pre-bed snack. :|
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Of course! Banger and mash - a real rib-sticker.

Mushy peas
    Frogspawn
    Kedgeree
    Mulligatawny

@Tubs216 - the first thing that any self-respecting Brit learns in the kitchen is that ANYTHING can be served on toast, and that toast is acceptable for any meal, snack or hour. :)
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    MogMog_2 wrote: »
    Thongs in US = shoes? Flip flops?
    In uk thongs go up ur a** :p

Are also a type of under pants that have a thin strap of material that are warn between the buttocks
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The U.S. has several words for sandwiches on rolls -- hoagies, grinders, subs.
    http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/hoagies-vs-grinders-vs-sub-marine-sandwiches-6436641
    What are they called in the U.K.?

Don't for get subs
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    And pigs in blankets.. Tiny sausages wrapped in bacon and served with turkey on Christmas Day.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned *kitten* yet??

o3oshjvpi8ng.jpg
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Oh goodness, the word got bleeped out!!! LOL
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    @Tubs216 - the first thing that any self-respecting Brit learns in the kitchen is that ANYTHING can be served on toast, and that toast is acceptable for any meal, snack or hour. :)
    I know! I'm a Brit who's lived in Canada for 13 years. My kids' friends think they're weird when they offer them a toast snack of some kind.