CollieFit wrote: »
    Oh goodness, the word got bleeped out!!! LOL
    Yep, that's not an ok word in NA!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »

One thing I have noticed is it is easier here in the UK to "pop the kettle on" thanks to almost universal electric kettles, whereas in the US whistling kettle still seem normal? Is that because the kettle use is less frequent with more coffee makers and less instant coffee?

Correct. Electric kettles are becoming more popular in the US, but are not the common appliance like they are in the UK. (I've considered getting one.) It wouldn't be weird to not have either kind of kettle, particularly if you don't regularly drink hot tea or instant coffee. (Hot tea isn't nearly as popular and instant coffee is generally looked down upon. Drip coffee is by far the most common method to make coffee at home.) I have a metal kettle on my stove top right now. I use it to make coffee using the pour over method and occasionally to make hot tea. Without a kettle, people just use the microwave or even a small pan on the stove. Electric kettles aren't hard to find in stores in the US; every major household retail store has a few models. My grandmother-in-law has one because she drinks instant coffee all day long and the electric kettle is safer for her to operate compared to the stove.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    My son watches too much Peppa Pig and insist on calling the shopping cart a trolley and petrol for gasoline.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Excellent @Char231023! Conquer the world via Top Gear and Peppa Pig. Beats all that naval exploring and exploiting we used to do ;)

@CollieFit - how could I have forgotten F@gg0ts? I am veggie now, so haven't had them for many, many years, but they are good! So is haggis.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    See, this thread explains why it took two seasons of Top Gear before I got Clarkson's jokes. Now people look at me funny when I use the terms "bonnet" and "boot" in reference to cars.

And we haven't even gotten into cockney rhyming slang.....I think Icelandic is easier to learn.

I was wondering when that was going to come up. Love me some British Top Gear.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    MogMog_2 wrote: »
    Thanks. In uk jelly is the wibbly wobbly kind, usually served with ice cream to kids at parties.

Wibbly wobbly doesn't refer to fish fingers and custard? let's see *cough* WHO gets the reference

:D

This thread is giving me a headache, lol.

For what it's worth, I've got both fries and chips as sides here when ordering fish'n chips (US).
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    And pigs in blankets.. Tiny sausages wrapped in bacon and served with turkey on Christmas Day.

Ok these in the US are mini hot dogs wrapped in dough... right?

I'm in the US but I still get confused by all this stuff. Conversations between US and UK people must be hilarious at times though. I know that there are issues too between French, Canadian French, and Belgian French.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Pigs in blankets are, as per PP, small pork sausages (our normal type of sausage/banger) wrapped in bacon rashers. Popular for Christmas dinner.

I find all the differences fascinating. That said, hearing Gordon Ramsay talk "American" on American Masterchef is just plain off-putting.

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Totally!!!!
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I thought of another funny food name....

"Eton Mess"

My favourite pudding....

• CollieFit
    Options
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs in dough......noooooooooo we don't have that sacrilege. We do have sausage rolls, sausage meat wrapped in pastry.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    To throw a spanner in the supper works (which to me can mean main evening meal or pre-bed snack, I grew up in a Scottish/Scouse household) in Scotland, if you go to a chippy (fish n chip shop) you can order a fish supper, or white pudding supper which just means it comes with chips (fries but chunky fresh made ones)!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Now you're talking! Love me a fat rascal.

(I'm a Yorkshire lass living in the US)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    @SueSueDio

I had to Google broiling a while ago (watching a US TV show) - for me broiling is a sort of boiling, thinking of broilers (chickens). It had me confused!

Another one I had to Google was arugula (sp?) - turns out that is rocket for us Brits.

Shrimps are tiny little things, cold water and used in potted shrimp etc. Prawns are the big foreign things.

One thing I have noticed is it is easier here in the UK to "pop the kettle on" thanks to almost universal electric kettles, whereas in the US whistling kettle still seem normal? Is that because the kettle use is less frequent with more coffee makers and less instant coffee?

What about dippy egg and soldiers? I don't think that translates :) but it is an essential of life!

I looked up "dippy egg" because I had no idea what it was. We call those soft-boiled eggs here. Not sure what soldiers are. Tried googling it but only military personnel pictures came up Lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And in NZ a capsicum is what we in the UK call a pepper. Confused me no end that did when I lived over there.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    (UK) Liquor = parsley sauce, traditionally made using eel juice and served with pie and mash.

And now I really want some pie n mash and the shop's shut. Which reminds me, UK shop = US store.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Pigs in blankets are, as per PP, small pork sausages (our normal type of sausage/banger) wrapped in bacon rashers. Popular for Christmas dinner.

I find all the differences fascinating. That said, hearing Gordon Ramsay talk "American" on American Masterchef is just plain off-putting.
    Ditto. Or Nigella measuring in cups. Bacon rasher = bacon strip.

P.S. Actually, now I think about it, just hearing Gordon Ramsay talk at all is off-putting, full stop (NOT 'period').
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh and eel juice = the water eels are boiled in (pie and mash shops sell eels too)
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    I thought of another funny food name....

"Eton Mess"

My favourite pudding....
    Yummy!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    My son watches too much Peppa Pig and insist on calling the shopping cart a trolley and petrol for gasoline.
    That's cute!