• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Soldiers.....toast cut into strips.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    And pigs in blankets.. Tiny sausages wrapped in bacon and served with turkey on Christmas Day.

Yep - although I can't figure out why dates (or prunes) wrapped in bacon are called "devils on horseback" and not "dates in blankets"!

Also, yes to anything on toast. Eggs, beans, sardines, ravioli (the tinned kind) - if it's worth eating, it's worth trying on toast. :smile: I haven't had an egg and soldiers for years! That used to be my favourite breakfast as a kid.

Eton Mess is a fun one! Also, I've found that what passes for trifle here isn't the same as the trifle we used to have in the UK, but I can make my own so it doesn't matter.

I really wanted to make jam roly poly or a suet pudding a couple of years ago, but couldn't find suet anywhere.

And yeah, I thought about the "shopping cart" thing... you park your truck (pickup) in the parking lot (car park) at the grocery store (supermarket) and get a cart (trolley) for your groceries. When you're done, you join a line (queue) for the checkout (till or cashier)!

I'll tell you one thing I like that's very different to the UK, and that's my bank. We used to go to the bank and have to shout at the teller through a few little holes in a bulletproof screen, and pass the book/money/whatever through a sliding metal drawer thing that was only big enough to slip a demanding note into. Sad times. Here (although maybe it's different in the bigger cities), I can go into the bank and actually see and talk to my teller properly, lean on the counter while I do so, lean across the counter to look at her screen if she's trying to show me something, etc. It's all so much more relaxed, friendly and personal.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! Measuring in cups? What is all that about?

Soldiers are buttered toast, cut in half and then into strips the perfect width to dip into your dippy egg. Sheer perfection. No other way to eat a dippy, or soft-boiled, egg! Try it. You'll never go back :)

Talking above of liquor being the Londoner's thing to have with mash, it never means alcohol as it does in the US. We have spirits or liqueurs.

Milk is skimmed, semi-skimmed, whole or "gold top" (full cream milk and rarely homogenised).

Squash refers more commonly to diluting juice than to a vegetable.

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Gold top milk!!!!! Haven't had any in years!! :) hmmmmmmm....
  • subakwa
    Options
    When you had milk delivered and the cream on top froze and pushed the foil lid off, but basically you had ice cream on your cereal....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Hot dogs in dough......noooooooooo we don't have that sacrilege. We do have sausage rolls, sausage meat wrapped in pastry.

Well pastry dough, so it's what I meant... these are pigs in a blanket.

th?id=OIP.M9de856196ae45aa2db95c7a2acca932aH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=312&h=176

Yeah don't get me started on the 'measuring in cups' thing. I much prefer UK recipes for that reason, but then I have to figure out what the ingredients are, lol!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Hot dogs in dough......noooooooooo we don't have that sacrilege. We do have sausage rolls, sausage meat wrapped in pastry.

Well pastry dough, so it's what I meant... these are pigs in a blanket.

th?id=OIP.M9de856196ae45aa2db95c7a2acca932aH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=312&h=176

Yeah don't get me started on the 'measuring in cups' thing. I much prefer UK recipes for that reason, but then I have to figure out what the ingredients are, lol!
    Yep, NO, that is a hot dog wrapped in that weird Pillsbury pastry that comes in a can! This is what British pigs in blankets look like.

ETA: http://dish.allrecipes.com/cup-to-gram-conversions/
    xa11jwyymztg.jpg

• SueSueDio
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Yep, NO, that is a hot dog wrapped in that weird Pillsbury pastry that comes in a can! This is what British pigs in blankets look like.

Chipolatas - little pork sausages that are NOT hotdogs. :smile: More like small breakfast sausages.

Also, gold top milk is awesome! Hubby and I would fight over who got to have the cream on their cereal. My dad used to work at the local agricultural show every year, and would sometimes bring home milk that had come directly from the cow - I'm not sure if they could get away with giving out unpasteurised milk these days, but that was delicious!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    MogMog_2 wrote: »
    Thanks. In uk jelly is the wibbly wobbly kind, usually served with ice cream to kids at parties.

Wibbly wobbly doesn't refer to fish fingers and custard? let's see *cough* WHO gets the reference

:D

This thread is giving me a headache, lol.

For what it's worth, I've got both fries and chips as sides here when ordering fish'n chips (US).
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    And pigs in blankets.. Tiny sausages wrapped in bacon and served with turkey on Christmas Day.

Ok these in the US are mini hot dogs wrapped in dough... right?

I'm in the US but I still get confused by all this stuff. Conversations between US and UK people must be hilarious at times though. I know that there are issues too between French, Canadian French, and Belgian French.

My brother in law refers to cabbage rolls (ground beef wrapped in a cabbage leaf and baked in a tomato based sauce) as pigs in a blanket. He calls pigs in a blanket (hot dogs wrapped in dough) corn dogs (which are actually hot dogs dipped in corn bread batter and deep fried). We are in the US, so some things are different even within the same country.

Don't even get me started on the differences between y'all, yins, and youns.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Chipolatas - little pork sausages that are NOT hotdogs. :smile: More like small breakfast sausages.

Also, gold top milk is awesome! Hubby and I would fight over who got to have the cream on their cereal. My dad used to work at the local agricultural show every year, and would sometimes bring home milk that had come directly from the cow - I'm not sure if they could get away with giving out unpasteurised milk these days, but that was delicious!

Ok... chipolatas are breakfast sausage in the UK? They were typically the kind of sausage we use for barbecue in France, lol!
  • SueSueDio
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Ok... chipolatas are breakfast sausage in the UK? They were typically the kind of sausage we use for barbecue in France, lol!

I honestly don't know - I just remember that's what my parents called the smaller sausages they bought! :smile:

I looked on Wikipedia, and it seems we're both right...

"A chipolata is a type of fresh sausage, believed to have been created in France, similar to Italian sausage but often prepared as a relatively thin and short breakfast-style sausage, often grilled rather than fried.

Chipolatas are typically made from coarse-ground pork seasoned with salt and pepper together with herbs and spices — according to the particular recipe — such as sage, thyme, pimento, or nutmeg. The word is French and probably derives from the Italian cipollata, which essentially means "made with onions" and according to some sources may have referred to an onion stew with sausages.

Chipolatas are common in the United Kingdom. They frequently appear as part of a Christmas dinner wrapped in streaky bacon as pigs in blankets. Chipolatas are similar to a type of breakfast sausage found in Australia. They are sometimes confused with cocktail sausages, often served at buffets, which are much smaller, thinner and about half the length of typical chipolatas."

I usually loved cocktail sausages, but was never quite so keen on chipolatas or other sausages - even now, I hate finding 'bits' in them (I'm sure you know what I mean!) so I don't eat them often. :smile:

(And now I'm thinking about Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler's sausage inna bun... ugh!)
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here are a few terms I came across when I worked for British Telecom in the US:
    • tomato sauce in UK = ketchup in US
    • salad cream in UK = mayonnaise in US
    • mobile phone in UK = cell phone in US
    • rocket in UK = arugula in US
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here are a few terms I came across when I worked for British Telecom in the US:
    • tomato sauce in UK = ketchup in US
    • salad cream in UK = mayonnaise in US
    • mobile phone in UK = cell phone in US
    • rocket in UK = arugula in US

Salad cream is not mayonnaise. As far as I know there is no equivalent. I don't think it's available in any other country other than the UK.
  • subakwa
    Options
    Salad cream is terribly British. Salad cream and cucumber sandwiches with Pimms!

It is runnier and yellower than mayonnaise. The taste is probably closer to hollandaise than Mayo, but not the same. Bloomin' lovely though.

• Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Salad cream is terribly British. Salad cream and cucumber sandwiches with Pimms!

It is runnier and yellower than mayonnaise. The taste is probably closer to hollandaise than Mayo, but not the same. Bloomin' lovely though.

:)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,830 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, my Welsh husband always says "my mobile" (pronounced mo-bile, with a long I sound) instead of "my cell phone".
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Haven't been watching enough British TV lately to notice all the differences, but for those in the US this is a pretty fascinating quiz...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Do you call it a crawdad / crayfish?

Firefly? Moon bug? Glow bug/worm?

How about crane flies, mosquito eater / mosquito hawk?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I took that a while back.. I thought I was all muddled since we moved around when I was a kid quite a bit and then I lived (briefly) in MA, MI, and now Chicago for years, but it pegged me to right where my parents are from--basically I sound like I'm from Iowa.
  • Staceym2112
    Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Chips in the US -- often thinly sliced potatoes fried. Crunchy.
    Chips in the UK?

Chips in the UK are French Fries in the US...as in Fish and Chips
  • Staceym2112
    Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The one that always got me is calling a Trunk (the back portion of your car that carries things; in the USA) a boot.
    A boot in the USA is a shoe that you wear on your feet, often thicker than a tennis shoe and can be steel toed.