Ketosis Diet

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Long term (5+ years) effects of "poisoning" myself seem rather stellar...all labs within normal limits or better with the exception of Blood Urea Nitrogen & Vitamin D, which are hardly purely keto induced. Just some minor tweaks increasing water intake & lowering protein. Biggest actual concern is nephrolithiasis & electrolyte abnormalities, stunted growth...not for pediatrics.

You are poisoning yourself so to speak if doing keto with hyperemesis & even moreso without a gallbladder. Steatosis sounds quite unpleasant

Think you misunderstood me. My body went in to ketosis because of the hyperemesis, there's no way I would want to deliberately put myself in that state, and the gallstones were a direct result of the combination of rapid weight loss and ketosis. There's no way I can even think about going on the keto diet, even if I didn't hate how ketosis makes me feel (don't forget ketones are actually the potentially toxic result of your body burning it's fat stores), I cannot tolerate a high fat diet, the results are more than a little dramatic and very unpleasant.

Are you sure you're not mistaking Ketosis for Ketoacidiosis? That's two different things.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Long term (5+ years) effects of "poisoning" myself seem rather stellar...all labs within normal limits or better with the exception of Blood Urea Nitrogen & Vitamin D, which are hardly purely keto induced. Just some minor tweaks increasing water intake & lowering protein. Biggest actual concern is nephrolithiasis & electrolyte abnormalities, stunted growth...not for pediatrics.

You are poisoning yourself so to speak if doing keto with hyperemesis & even moreso without a gallbladder. Steatosis sounds quite unpleasant

Think you misunderstood me. My body went in to ketosis because of the hyperemesis, there's no way I would want to deliberately put myself in that state, and the gallstones were a direct result of the combination of rapid weight loss and ketosis. There's no way I can even think about going on the keto diet, even if I didn't hate how ketosis makes me feel (don't forget ketones are actually the potentially toxic result of your body burning it's fat stores), I cannot tolerate a high fat diet, the results are more than a little dramatic and very unpleasant.

Keto diet would be contraindicated for you.

However, if done correctly, a keto diet is fine for many and not an issue. Ketones are no more a poison than high glucose, high salt, high water, high oxygen. Any metabolite at normal concentrations becomes toxic at extremes.

And I say this as someone who does not and will not EVER practice a keto diet - I do fine without, like to focus on endurance and enjoy carbs. But as a WoE it is fine for many many people.

We normally produce ketones all the time (at a relatively low level), if you have a normal eating pattern with large periods of no eating you'll see regular increases. The regular overnight 12-14 hrs 'fasts' results in 3x increase in production which is a mild ketosis. Everyone pretty much experiences that.

If you exercise, we then see post exercise ketosis that is actually higher ketone levels than the goal of people on a keto diet.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm currently doing it. I've maintained ketosis for 10 days now with my net carbs having gone as high as 50g. I love it. I also do IF during the week of 18:6 and then for some variety, do a 24hr fast from dinner Friday until dinner Saturday and then I have breakfast at breakfast time on Sunday, skip lunch, then dinner, then back to my 18:6 fast. It's working well for me so far and between LCHF and now switching to Ketosis I've lost 15lbs total in 6 weeks, a total that I am very happy with.

I try to eat as many whole foods as possible and don't rely on packaged foods. It's also a pretty easy WOE to follow if you eat out a lot. Feel free to take a peek at my diary.

I've done well in the past with this WOE. Last year I was doing really well but fell off the wagon in August. By November I was having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed and 2 months later I was diagnoses with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Seeing as how when I had blood work done last May when I was on plan and all my levels are perfect, I directly attribute my gallbladder and liver issues to the good ole SAD. Now that I am back to eating LCHF my blood work is already starting to improve, along with a myriad of other good things happening to my body.

Truth be told, you probably won't get a lot of keto-love on these boards, but definitely check out the group linked above, a lot of very supportive people there.

[Post edited by MFP moderator]
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Have any of you on this diet seen a doctor before starting and during? I only ask because having been in ketosis during pregnancy due to hyperemesis (severe sickness) I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to poison their body with ketones or risk the possible life-long effects of that poisoning (I haven't got a gallbladder now and actually have to severely limit fats) unless it was prescribed for something even worse (such as intractable epilepsy).

Are you sure you don't mean ketoacidosis?

But yes, my GI doctor was actually the one who suggested that I follow a LCHF diet. I don't have a Gallbladder and have been diagnosed with NAFLD and he 100% supports this WOE as losing weight is extremely important for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have any of you on this diet seen a doctor before starting and during? I only ask because having been in ketosis during pregnancy due to hyperemesis (severe sickness) I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to poison their body with ketones or risk the possible life-long effects of that poisoning (I haven't got a gallbladder now and actually have to severely limit fats) unless it was prescribed for something even worse (such as intractable epilepsy).

Ketones aren't poison.
  • tuckabeau
    tuckabeau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started this process last Sunday. Eating 2200 calories, 5% carbs, 75% fats and 20% protein. Lost 5 pounds first 4 days and then went to my son's house for Easter. Decided to just try to moderate and eat whatever they served. Felt awful and gained 3 pounds back. On the wagon again today and back to tracking. Next time we visit I will stay the course. Weather I just lost water or not does not matter, the water had to go away. Drinking between 80 & 100 ounces of water daily.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I think she may have confused hyperemesis symptoms with symptoms of ketosis. I had very severe morning sickness and felt horrible and lost 10-15 lbs in the first few months of pregnancy too. I have no doubt that gall stones were developed but she was probably prone to them - they happened during ketosis but not necessarilly because of ketosis.
    Are you sure you're not mistaking Ketosis for Ketoacidiosis? That's two different things.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My friend is doing keto, his bathroom smells fierce at all times. No thank you.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

What is Leto? I'm assuming that is a typo. And if your friend is having severe GI issues, I would recommend that he see a doctor as that is not a common side effect of Keto.

• galgenstrick
    Options

What is Leto? I'm assuming that is a typo. And if your friend is having severe GI issues, I would recommend that he see a doctor as that is not a common side effect of Keto.

Perhaps, but if he's doing Keto, then I doubt he would listen to what his doctor had to say...
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

Perhaps, but if he's doing Keto, then I doubt he would listen to what his doctor had to say...

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you automatically making an assumption that a very low carb diet would not be supported by a medical professional? Because my doctor is actually who recommended that I try this WOE.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm currently doing it. I've maintained ketosis for 10 days now with my net carbs having gone as high as 50g. I love it. I also do IF during the week of 18:6 and then for some variety, do a 24hr fast from dinner Friday until dinner Saturday and then I have breakfast at breakfast time on Sunday, skip lunch, then dinner, then back to my 18:6 fast. It's working well for me so far and between LCHF and now switching to Ketosis I've lost 15lbs total in 6 weeks, a total that I am very happy with.

I try to eat as many whole foods as possible and don't rely on packaged foods. It's also a pretty easy WOE to follow if you eat out a lot. Feel free to take a peek at my diary.

I've done well in the past with this WOE. Last year I was doing really well but fell off the wagon in August. By November I was having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed and 2 months later I was diagnoses with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Seeing as how when I had blood work done last May when I was on plan and all my levels are perfect, I directly attribute my gallbladder and liver issues to the good ole SAD. Now that I am back to eating LCHF my blood work is already starting to improve, along with a myriad of other good things happening to my body.

Truth be told, you probably won't get a lot of keto-love on these boards, but definitely check out the group linked above, a lot of very supportive people there.

Having a WoE that results in NAF liver disease and gallbladder removal is not "doing really well".
    Hard pass.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited March 2016
    Options

Having a WoE that results in NAF liver disease and gallbladder removal is not "doing really well".
    Hard pass.

Actually, you seem to have misread, the SAD directly contributed to my gallbladder removal and NAFLD. My blood work and health were awesome when I followed a LCHF diet last year, it wasn't until I stopped and starting eating the SAD again that my health began to fail. Post Sx, my GI doctor is has recommended that I return to a LCHF diet in the hopes of restoring my health to where it was a year ago.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you automatically making an assumption that a very low carb diet would not be supported by a medical professional? Because my doctor is actually who recommended that I try this WOE.

All I can say is that I'd try to find a new doctor... But that's just me.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

Well thank you so much for your completely useless contribution to this thread.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

You're welcome ;-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

LOL :D
    My doctor advised keto too. He's an md who decided to specialize in orthomolecular medicine (optimal health through nutrition and supplements).
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

My doctor advised keto too. He's an md who decided to specialize in orthomolecular medicine (optimal health through nutrition and supplements).

Exactly the kind of doctor people should avoid. How much are you paying in worthless herbal supplements?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

Exactly the kind of doctor people should avoid. How much are you paying in worthless herbal supplements?

Are you a physician yourself? Because if not, you really shouldn't be giving medical advice.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Are you a physician yourself? Because if not, you really shouldn't be giving medical advice.

When did I give medical advice?