Reintroducing Carbs

Hello! I have been on a low carb diet (under 20g) for 5 months now and I'm currently 10lbs from goal weight. When I only have 5lbs remaining, I am going to begin to slowly reintroduce healthy, low GI carbs back into my diet. I will adjust carefully and eventually find a good maintenance level. Any advice?

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    under 20g, wow. Only a few days was I able to achieve that. 5 months!!! What, did you lose 50 pounds? I can't imagine eating all the protein and fat to makeup that calorie difference in my diet. When I was "very" low-carbin' I didn't feel like chewing all that, just not hungry enough.

Suggest undershoot by a few pounds. Water gain/rebalance is immediate to process the additional carb intake.

"High GI" carbs are fine too, in smaller amounts than most of us had in the past - I think it helps me to lead with
    high protein and fat before the carbs (like 10-15 minutes before, not 30 seconds!), which should blunt their impact on my later hunger level. For example breakfast, I start with eggs and sausage. If I feel like toast, then at least 15 minutes later I'll have a (ok it's huge, maybe 9inch) half-baguette LOADED with butter, with low-sugar jam.

Now I kinda think "Careful/Shmareful"... now that you know the effective control of carb intake, you can dial it up or down as needed. If you are weighing every day, then you will know when you have to dial it down.

Also be aware salt and sugar intake spike water gain, salt and its water is obviously not a long-term concern, but sugar causes water retainage AND later hunger - double whammy.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Just be aware that when you reintroduce carbs, you WILL gain weight. For every 1g of carbs you eat, you hold 4g of water.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    If I remember right, the Atkins method from going from "induction" (20g or under) was to add 5 g a day, up to 30-50 daily to reach the 2nd phase of carb restriction. Maybe that would work for you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @xnearlytherebx I stay <50 grams daily more for pain management and plan to do it for life. What @maxit states sounds good taper back into carbs. There is a MFP group that eats between Zero and 150 carbs daily that may offer you some real world experience. I am not sure at what level the 5-6 pound weight gain comes back from eating carbs.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group