How far do you go on cheat days?

Options

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I haven't really read the thread but I figured I'd chip in.

I don't believe in cheat days. Nearly every day I allow myself a treat or two be it a trip to McDonalds with the boys from work for lunch or a few pieces of Dove chocolate before bed. I try and eat reasonably healthy the rest of the day and I pay attention to my macros and this way I feel as though I'm not forcing anything or deprived of anything and I still (usually) end up under my goal.

Everything in moderation :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Third Base at least... I go for the Home Run, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yeah i'm with the few others in this thread, i go all out. Calories get up to 5000+. Not intentionally, but it is what it is. For me, my maintenance is close to 3000, so a cheat day is like ... it's bonkers. If you view my diary, it's usually either on weekends or holidays, when i get in those "cheat days".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I see no need or reason for cheat days, I eat what I want to and stay under my calorie goal, always. If you have cheat days you're only "cheating" yourself. So I don't do it, ever. This may be different for some, but I can easily eat one cookie ( or half a cookie) and stop there, or one tablespoon of ice cream and call it enough.

I feel the same. And like you, I too am pleased that I can control myself. I know not everyone can, but, as example, I lick the knife after I cut & serve cake ~ it satisfies me ;) Than I log it as 1/4 slice.

This makes me sad.

I didn't want to say it...but since you said it first: That's the second saddest thing I've ever seen on MFP. First was a woman who only allows herself one sugar cookie on Christmas and one half slice of cake on her birthday and otherwise eats no sweets/treats/Ebil Refined Sugar. Not because she doesn't like sweets but because somethingsomethingfoodisevilsomething.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to just not log and eat whatever I felt like, but lately I've been going maybe 500 calories over maintenance. At most. And I feel better for it. Yes, I splurge, but the rest of the week makes up for it, so I'm happy with how it goes. Thankfully, I don't think I've EVER eaten 4000-5000 calories like so many people seem capable of! My stomach would burst lol. :)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I haven't read a single reply but why does anybody need a cheat day? It's really dumb because if you are heating healthy and not depriving yourself, you shouldn't need one!

I have been doing this for just under a year and haven't had a cheat day. However, I don't deprive myself. I still have my chocolate, pizza, ice cream, or my Indian takeaway. I always eat within my calories.

Sorry, I just don't get chest days and or some I feel you could set yourself up for having more than what you need. And why call it a cheat day? It's a negative word in a positive journey. Why not have a treat day?

Edited to add, I have my cake and eat it too! Still within my calorie goals
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Too far, that's why I avoid them.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think people have different definition of cheat days. When someone says "I have cheats days" others assume:

1. They restrict themselves from sweets (or salty snacks, or whatever floats your boat) then once a week they eat an entire chocolate cake (or three bags of chips) because they crave it.
    2. You are a terrible person for using that word, we are all making lifestyle changes you know!
    3. You are a uncontrolled maniac and binge just for fun: "though I hate pizza, I'm going to eat a whole pizza today because it's my cheat day!!! Wooooo!!!!"

In reality, I think most people who use this "cheat day" term (and let's call it that because we aren't children and don't need to argue semantics) agree it's none of those things. For most, they eat their snacks when they want but once in a while (once a week, on special occasions.. who cares why or how often!) they go over their calories because there are more important things in life than counting calories.

So cheers to everyone out there who is just living and loving life :drinker:
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days or cheat meals. I usually eat out on Saturday and Sunday, but I don't think of it as "cheating" because then it would mean I'm dieting, which I'm not. I'm changing my lifestyle, so for me that means I can eat out when I choose, and then fit the food into my allotment for the day. If I allow myself to "diet" and "cheat", I set myself up for failure. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally go over, but I try not to.

I'm with you, girl. I don't call them 'cheat'. Some days I'm under my target calories, sometimes I'm over. simple as that.
    As long as I hit my macros 95% of the time & exercise, I'm happy. that way, I see progress with losing body fat %.

And I log EVERYTHING. period. period. period.
    I'm not afraid of the reality of what I consume. Instead, I use that reality to serve me in reaching my GOALs.

for those that don't log everything:
    just because you don't log it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. so why fool yourself when you pull your reports?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    All the way.

...I actually don't have cheat days. I eat what I want when I want to and while I do have days where I go over it's no more a cheat day then the days I'm under are 'bonus' days, or whatever. So basically I don't believe in cheat days or naughty days or whatever silly term we're using.

this.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day every week.On holidays and special occasions I don't log but try to stay pretty resonable.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't use the words "bad", "good", or "cheat" when it comes to my eating. Too judgmental. I allow myself whatever I want, and it just seems to be happening naturally that the more I stick with the plan that serves me well, the less I want things that slow my progress. That said, I was out with friends last weekend and they wanted to go get ice cream, and I had some and enjoyed every delicious bit of it. I might even do it again this weekend. Oh, and I log EVERYTHING I eat. I have no problem seeing what I eat in black and white, it's one of the things that has helped me tremendously.

7396232.png
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I haven't read a single reply but why does anybody need a cheat day? It's really dumb because if you are heating healthy and not depriving yourself, you shouldn't need one!
    Nice, calling people dumb. Real nice.

I eat healthy. I eat TDEE -15%, which is ~1750 calories. A burger and fries at my favorite burger joint is more calories than that. I'd like to know how to fit that in? My favorite ice cream sundae is 1300 calories, which would be incredibly difficult to fit in. My favorite Starbucks beverage is 680 calories... I can fit it in, but I'd much rather eat those calories, not drink them.

So yes, I have a cheat day, because I don't want to deprive myself. But I guess I'm dumb.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal, and only on weigh in day if I have lost. I look at it as a reward for sticking to my diet all week...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I haven't read most of the replies.

Anyway as far as cheat days are concerned, I personally don't feel I have them. At least not planned ones anyway. I guess some people could see some of my days as "cheat" days, but I really don't feel like I'm cheating myself and as such don't call them that. To me the word "cheat" implies something negative/something that really shouldn't be done.

I have days where I'm slightly under goal or slightly over goal or at maintenance or slightly over maintenance on a regular basis. I could probably lose weight faster if I always ate slightly under goal, but I'm averaging 2lbs per week as it is and don't want to lose weight any faster.
  • mandarrr32
    Options
    I try not to go over too much.. normally what I do is stay as strict as possible with myself eating at home, but if I go out for a meal (which isn't very often), then I just get whatever I want and don't worry about it. :)
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I see no need or reason for cheat days, I eat what I want to and stay under my calorie goal, always. If you have cheat days you're only "cheating" yourself. So I don't do it, ever. This may be different for some, but I can easily eat one cookie ( or half a cookie) and stop there, or one tablespoon of ice cream and call it enough.

I feel the same. And like you, I too am pleased that I can control myself. I know not everyone can, but, as example, I lick the knife after I cut & serve cake ~ it satisfies me ;) Than I log it as 1/4 slice.

This makes me sad.

I didn't want to say it...but since you said it first: That's the second saddest thing I've ever seen on MFP. First was a woman who only allows herself one sugar cookie on Christmas and one half slice of cake on her birthday and otherwise eats no sweets/treats/Ebil Refined Sugar. Not because she doesn't like sweets but because somethingsomethingfoodisevilsomething.

No need to feel sad *for me* ~ I don't think cake/sweets/sugar is evil, sweets have just never been a food I crave. I've always enjoyed the main course and could take or leave dessert. Truthfully I wouldn't even eat one sugar cookie at the holidays because they don't appeal to me. And yup, I'd have a 1/2 slice of my own b'day cake because it's meh to me.

Pizza, I'm gonna eat it all and go back for 2nds. Not so with cake, cookies, ice cream.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do 'cheat', but not so much with calories, I have a 100 calorie buffer I seldom use, but, with the type of food I might choose to use my calories on.

This works well for me, as if I want chocolate I eat it, but within my calories.

I will say though, that since starting in March, eating less processed foods has made me less likely enjoy foods I used to love, like chocolate. Kind of weird, but nice in my mind!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Well before you blurt out such rediculas coments maybe you should read the replys. What alot of people are saying but you wouldnt know this, is that they have meals/days where they have something which is not paritcullary good or healthy to which they wouldnt normally have. For some people cutting out all of the old "bad" foods that got people in this situatio is the only way they can stick to their diets.

So before you start making stupid comments get off you high horse and read what people are putting.

But back to the origonal question, I dont have set days when I will have a cheat "day" or "meal" but I will have a day where i might have an extra beer with my tea after a stressful day at work or a nice sugary treat after a night shift. I try to log everything I do and still try and stay within my limits, but hey sod it if I go over for the day, Ive got the rest of the week/life to make up for one day!!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i dont nessisarly have cheat days but i have days i go over my calories.I just try to either exercise it off or just cut back a few other days. Sometimes i have days ill go up to like 2400 but it hasn't really hurt my weight. its the days i do that all week which will end in me gaining