Nightshift

snkinkade
snkinkade Posts: 2 Member
This will be the second time I'm starting to use MFP. The first time I did well dropping 40lbs fairly easy however with changes in my life I have unfortunately put most of it back on. SOOOO here I go again!!! I'm going to start working nightshift for the first time and I was wondering what everyone's eating schedule was that works night shift. I just dont see myself eating at 2 or 3 am? What time do you make your biggest meal? Any tips would be helpful!

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I used to work 12 hours on night shift and I gained weight. It's hard not to snack mindlessly when sleepy like that. I usually ate my lunch around 1:00 or 2:00am back then. I worked at a hospital though and people were always bringing in foods and snacks and putting them in the break room. I always get hungrier when I am sleepy.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2016
    I work 12 hrs a night. I wake up and have "lunch" around 4pm (a protein bar, or fruit and nut bar) around 6pm, I have some fruit. My biggest meal is between 9pm and 11pm. I can work out at work, so I do that between 1am and 2am. After I work out, I have a protein shake (breakfast) which takes me until I go to sleep. I restart my day at midnight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1171754/the-official-nightshift-thread#latest
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    I have been nightshift 7p to 7a for 8 years when I started this timing of eating was key to what success I have done. My normal day looks like this

Wake up 4pm
    Breakfast 530 pm
    Protein shake 930 pm
    Supper 130 am
    Prep snack 5 am (to avoid eating after your off. I tried 4 am but 5-5:30 worked better)

Then I also plan in snacks within my calorie range and snack on those whenever. Sometimes I finish them sometimes I dont.

Hope this helps.
  • ddreyerjr
    ddreyerjr Posts: 1 Member
    Also, like working days, try not to eat before you go to bed. Plan your day like you would normally for days, just shift it around to match up night time. My hardest point was figuring out how to do my off days. With a family it was difficult to stick to the "night shift" schedule as they were on a daytime routine.
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    I work 10:30 p - 7:00 a, I eat when I get home, usually 7:30 ish, I will eat whatever, breakfast stuff or dinner stuff / leftovers. I workout 45 after that for about 45 min, shower then sleep. After I wake, I sometimes snack, banana orange granola bar. Then I eat dinner between 6-7p depending on wifes schedule. I now very rarely even snack at work, I'm just not hungry during that time.
  • caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    I work 7p to 7a. My routine is pretty much the same as akerra27 (have to ask.. is that from your real name or are you a cat?) except I need to eat before I go to sleep so I have a light Greek yogurt with 1/4 of Special K when I get home. My off days I eat normal with the rest of the family.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    I get up around 4 pm and eat "breakfast" which isn't really breakfast foods, just like a light lunch type food. Go to work at 7 pm and eat my bigger meal around 2 am. Get off work at 730 am. Then I usually have something before I go to bed at 8 am. Usually this consists of more traditional breakfast food.
  • spalmer2016mfp
    spalmer2016mfp Posts: 3 Member
    I work 7pm to 7am. I usually get up around 4 and my day usually goes like this:

Breakfast at 4 or 5pm
    Snack at 8:30 pm
    Lunch (biggest meal) at 10:30 pm
    Snack at 1am
    Dinner at 3 or 4am

I've been doing this for 1.5months and have lost around 20lbs. I like it because I am constantly eating and rarely get hungry
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I lost 118 pounds on night shift. I work 12 hours 7-7. I look at each day of calorie allotment as a 24 hour window whether I work days or nights. On work days, I have breakfast at 5 pm, lunch at midnight and dinner at 4 am. I also have a couple snacks in between.
  • snkinkade
    snkinkade Posts: 2 Member
    All this info is great! I appreciate it! It's definitely going to be an all around adjustment eating, sleeping, my days off since this is the first time I have worked at night. I'll take all. The suggestions I can get! Thanks Again!