Wink Ice Cream (Or other low calorie brands)

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried Wink brand ice cream? They supposedly have a 100 calorie pint, but most are around 200-300 a pint. Still better than most! They're marketed towards vegan/gluten free/etc, or people on restricted diets, but it works out as low calorie. I'm wondering if they're worth the hassle of going out of my way to shop for them. Also, how much did they cost when you tried them? On their website a pint of vanilla is $8.00 and I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out that much for a pint. :expressionless:

Any other similar low cal brands are welcome here as well! I'm craving ice cream and while I'm normally fine with just fitting a normal 1/2 pint of Blue Bell or B&J in somewhere, it's tempting to go find these so I can eat the whole thing that much easier, haha.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Wink is not great. I eat it. But I'm also short term cutting and it does the trick. I have to doctor it up with cocoa powder, stevia, sometimes powdered PB if I have the calories. Arctic Zero, for all the poo pooing it gets on here, is better than Wink. They are both expensive.

Edy's slow churned is pretty good on the calorie count. Depending on the flavor there is about 100-120 tops for a serving..
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is a brand called Halo Top and it's amazing. Around 280 per pint. It tasted the closest to real ice cream. Arctic Zero has some new flavors and they are amazing! Yummers.
  • xLyric
    edited March 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Wink is not great. I eat it. But I'm also short term cutting and it does the trick. I have to doctor it up with cocoa powder, stevia, sometimes powdered PB if I have the calories. Arctic Zero, for all the poo pooing it gets on here, is better than Wink. They are both expensive.

Edy's slow churned is pretty good on the calorie count. Depending on the flavor there is about 100-120 tops for a serving..

Why is Arctic Zero looked down on? It's much more available near me than Wink, so I might try that as well. Thanks!

Jamiempang wrote: »
    There is a brand called Halo Top and it's amazing. Around 280 per pint. It tasted the closest to real ice cream. Arctic Zero has some new flavors and they are amazing! Yummers.

Unfortunately Halo Top is a city away, so I probably won't be trying them. Arctic Top is close though, so I'll pick some up. Thanks!
  • arditarose
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

Why is Arctic Zero looked down on? It's much more available near me than Wink, so I might try that as well. Thanks!

Unfortunately Halo Top is a city away, so I probably won't be trying them. Arctic Top is close though, so I'll pick some up. Thanks!

A lot of people just think the Arctic Zero is gross and prefer to eat one serving of higher calorie ice cream. I'm a volume eater and don't want one serving. Anyway, you inspired me to take a trip to Whole Foods and buy whatever Arctic Zero was left and a few of the Wink pints too. Very expensive but I don't care.
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options

A lot of people just think the Arctic Zero is gross and prefer to eat one serving of higher calorie ice cream. I'm a volume eater and don't want one serving. Anyway, you inspired me to take a trip to Whole Foods and buy whatever Arctic Zero was left and a few of the Wink pints too. Very expensive but I don't care.

Look for the Chunky flavors of Arctic Zero. Some ARE gross. I hated the peanut butter cup one and I love peanut butter cups! My favorites have been the mint chocolate chip, chocolate brownie batter (AMAZING!!), and the hint of mint isn't bad either. Cookie shake is decent. It seems the chunky ones are better.
  • arditarose
    Options

Look for the Chunky flavors of Arctic Zero. Some ARE gross. I hated the peanut butter cup one and I love peanut butter cups! My favorites have been the mint chocolate chip, chocolate brownie batter (AMAZING!!), and the hint of mint isn't bad either. Cookie shake is decent. It seems the chunky ones are better.

Yeah the chunky ones are better but I can control the calorie count better with the plain just by adding one oreo or a serving of powdered PB, etc. So I can do more like 200-250 for the pint with my fixing rather than the 350. I'm kind of anal when it comes to my high volume desserts lol. But yeah, I tried the cookie dough one and it was definitely better than the plain ones.
  • xLyric
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yeah, I'm the same way; I'd rather eat a lot of something mediocre but lower calorie than a tiny bit of something better. We'll see if I still feel that way after tasting them, haha. Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have Peters no sugar added vanilla ice cream? I'll post the macros in case any Aussies are reading. It tastes so good, and no different to normal ice cream. I'm worried to look at the ingredient list to see exactly what's in it to make it taste the same..

244 calories for 200g

17g Carbs
    13g Fibre
    11g Protein
    6g fat
    17g sugar

How do these numbers compare to your lower cal versions?

I'm not exactly sure why they call it "no sugar added" when there obviously is some..
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I tried Arctic Zero. Their Cookie Shake one was only 150 calories for the whole pint. I enjoyed it well enough. It allowed me to get a large thing of "ice cream" without a ton of calories. It didn't taste like Ben and Jerry's bet it wasn't terrible.
  • xLyric
    Options
    Do you guys have Peters no sugar added vanilla ice cream? I'll post the macros in case any Aussies are reading. It tastes so good, and no different to normal ice cream. I'm worried to look at the ingredient list to see exactly what's in it to make it taste the same..

244 calories for 200g

17g Carbs
    13g Fibre
    11g Protein
    6g fat
    17g sugar

I'm not exactly sure why they call it "no sugar added" when there obviously is some..

Probably because while they don't necessarily ADD sugar, that doesn't mean there's not sugar naturally in some of their ingredients. Not sure how much 200g is, but AZ has pints that are 150 calories or so for comparison. I've never heard of them though, so I could be wrong. Thanks for the suggestion! Though I don't see any near me :disappointed:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

244 calories for 200g

17g Carbs
    13g Fibre
    11g Protein
    6g fat
    17g sugar

Probably because while they don't necessarily ADD sugar, that doesn't mean there's not sugar naturally in some of their ingredients. Not sure how much 200g is, but AZ has pints that are 150 calories or so for comparison. I've never heard of them though, so I could be wrong. Thanks for the suggestion! Though I don't see any near me :disappointed:

Aha duh! Milk sugars and such.

200g = .5 pints i think?? So around 400 calories for 1 pint. Way more calories than your stuff.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Aha duh! Milk sugars and such.

Correct. "No Sugar Added" =/= "Sugar Free"

• Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer volume to quality..
    If any of you can find enlightened ice cream near you some of their flavors are 320 Cal's for the pint and it is as good as many ice creams
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I haven't located Enlightened pints yet, but I really enjoy their Salted Caramel ice cream bars. Single serve are less dangerous for me than a pint.

I've had some Halo Top that was okay but I really enjoyed So Delicious No Sugar added coconut milk ice cream in vanilla, chocolate, and butter pecan. I do find it a bit too sweet but I sprinkle it with instant coffee to add some bitterness.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Arctic Zero's cookie dough chunky pint but that's pretty much it for them. Halo Top will always be my favorite because for 250 calories a pint they really do pack the most flavor! Forte high protein gelato is also really impressive, but unfortunately they come in 4 ounce containers and not a pint. Recently I discovered Enlightened ice cream pints and have been blown away! They're a little more affordable than Halo Top, and a lot easier to find (for me, at least, since Shoprite carries all their flavors whereas Halo Top I can only get at Wegman's in three flavors). Enlightened is way better than Arctic Zero, but not quite as good as Halo Top since it does have more calories (about 350-400 a pint), but it's definitely something you have to try if you haven't had it yet!!!!
  • xLyric
    Options
    Tried 4 Arctic Zero flavors today; Caramel, Chocolate, Cookie Shake, and Pecan, and honestly the only one I think I can finish is the pecan, which I actually enjoyed. The others were like frozen, watery chocolate milk, which I tried really hard to like, but I just couldn't do it, not even for the volume. I'll probably get the pecan again, and maybe more of the chunky flavors, but no more creamy. Thank you, everyone who suggested them, though!

The one place in town that sells Wink is closed on Sunday so I'll pick one up tomorrow. Probably won't be as ambitious as I was with AZ at first. I'll look up Enlightened as well! Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm curious though, if you're going to go for 400 calories a pint, why not just eat sorbet or frozen Greek yogurt? Stonyfield is like 450 calories a pint and must be more satisfying than most Artic Zero stuff...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok I'm curious though, if you're going to go for 400 calories a pint, why not just eat sorbet or frozen Greek yogurt? Stonyfield is like 450 calories a pint and must be more satisfying than most Artic Zero stuff...

Because I can choose whether to add the extra calories or not and one Oreo is on 50ish cals. Stoneyfield puts me over in carbs too. I do get it sometimes though but I miss the mixins
  • arditarose
    Options
    Tried 4 Arctic Zero flavors today; Caramel, Chocolate, Cookie Shake, and Pecan, and honestly the only one I think I can finish is the pecan, which I actually enjoyed. The others were like frozen, watery chocolate milk, which I tried really hard to like, but I just couldn't do it, not even for the volume. I'll probably get the pecan again, and maybe more of the chunky flavors, but no more creamy. Thank you, everyone who suggested them, though!

The one place in town that sells Wink is closed on Sunday so I'll pick one up tomorrow. Probably won't be as ambitious as I was with AZ at first. I'll look up Enlightened as well! Thanks!

You won't like the Wink if you didn't like the AZ. It's icy and not creamy
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Enlightened is A LOT better than Arctic Zero. Sure, 400 is comparable to the calories in some other brands, but it also has around 28g of protein per pint, 80% of your daily value for calcium, and only 24g of sugar which sure, could be lower, but still isn't bad at all! Also had 20g of fiber which is incredible and I need that to feel full haha