Wink Ice Cream (Or other low calorie brands)

Options
2»

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    For taste, Halo Top rules all. For calories, Arctic Zero is as good as it gets.

I second slow churned Edys if you can fit it in. Real ice cream is always my preference, but you gotta do what you gotta do when your macros/calories are low and you want something ice cream-ish.

I've never tried Wink or Enlightened, but I've heard mixed reviews for both.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok I'm curious though, if you're going to go for 400 calories a pint, why not just eat sorbet or frozen Greek yogurt? Stonyfield is like 450 calories a pint and must be more satisfying than most Artic Zero stuff...

Personally, I'd like to stay under 300 per pint, and the 100 calorie pints these brands have were really appealing. Unfortunately I didn't like the Arctic Zero brand except for the chunky stuff, which was pretty good, but I'm going to try Wink before giving up completely. @arditarose you're probably right about Wink, but I want to at least try, haha.

Also, I really hadn't thought about it that much. I've been looking for these low cal brands and didn't look at the frozen yogurts or anything else at all, so those will be my next step if these don't work out!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I tried Halo Top, seemed like a cruel hoax to me. Bad fake ice cream at a bad price. Much rather have none and wait for real ice cream.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Apparently I should try some of these, because I have sugar free fudgsicles and sugar free popsicles (40cals and 15cals respectively) and they're good, and do the job, but lately I've been just wanting a B&J's pint!
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    2 cups are in a pint of ice cream right? Edy's slow churned has a pretty great tasting Neapolitan ice cream that has 90 cals/serving which would be 360 cals for a pint. They have other flavors that stay right near 100 cals/serving (1 serving is a half cup).

I've tried that Artic Zero stuff and its pretty gross.

Looks like a store near me sells that Halo Top & Enlightened but it sucks paying $7.00 for a pint...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    chewyxrage wrote: »
    2 cups are in a pint of ice cream right? Edy's slow churned has a pretty great tasting Neapolitan ice cream that has 90 cals/serving which would be 360 cals for a pint. They have other flavors that stay right near 100 cals/serving (1 serving is a half cup).

Looks like a store near me sells that Halo Top & Enlightened but it sucks paying $7.00 for a pint...

Edy's Slow Churn all the way...........I need to get used to a "regular" portion of ice cream anyway.

I've never tried Arctic zero - the chicory root extract scared me off. Ice cream shouldn't = gas pains.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have Bryers slow churned in my freezer right now and it's not too bad. Kind of fluffy.

Forte Protein Gelato isn't bad either, but it's really hard.
    15 grams protein
    2.5 Grams Fat
    160 Calories
    45% DV Calcium
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Edy's Slow Churn all the way...........I need to get used to a "regular" portion of ice cream anyway.

I've never tried Arctic zero - the chicory root extract scared me off. Ice cream shouldn't = gas pains.

Another vote for Edy's slow churn. It's really tasty!
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love the So Delicious Coconut Milk. The Strawberry is like 480 calories or so a pint, it tastes really good, and it's my go to, but all the flavors I've had are great.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Halo Top gets such great reviews, but I tried several and they all had a weird after taste that I couldn't get past. A few spoonfuls of each and they wound up in the trash.

I prefer the Edys Slow Churned thats also mentioned. It's real ice cream and tastes like it to. I go with the plain vanilla.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it's Blue Bunny, but they have a mini ice cream cone with vanilla ice cream and a caramel swirl that's relatively good on calories. If you want the taste/crunch of a trip to the ice cream shop, I highly recommend it. The trouble is eating just one!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The new Arctic Zero pints are actually good. Used to hate them. Tried the vanilla maple, cookie shake... etc - thought they were all just terrible lol but the new chunky ones especially Brownie Blast / Snickerdoodle are actually great in my opinion. Halo Top is the bomb too but can't find it locally where I live unfortunately. Found AF at my local Walmart.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My goto treat lately has been Dove's snack size chocolate covered strawberry gelato bars. Sooooooo gooood. 150 calories each.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options

$7 per pint? Where are you buying them from? Halo Top at Wegman's (which is usually more money) costs just over $5 but I can get Enlightened for $4.49... still a bit pricey for a pint of ice cream, but not $7! They also have coupons online for $1 off two pints, which would bring it to about $4 each
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

$7 per pint? Where are you buying them from? Halo Top at Wegman's (which is usually more money) costs just over $5 but I can get Enlightened for $4.49... still a bit pricey for a pint of ice cream, but not $7! They also have coupons online for $1 off two pints, which would bring it to about $4 each

Hy-Vee (mid-west grocery store) is the only place around here that sell those types of food and has them in the Health Food section and use that as a way to jack up the price. I'll have to look for those coupons.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like the skinnycow ice cream sandwiches, and I am partial to the mint. :-) It is big enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, and it tastes good too! Having something that is pre-packaged also eliminates the chances that I would over or underestimate the calorie content of my food. So there is definitely something to be said in terms of helping in the convenience and discipline departments.

Last night I went to our local grocery store (and we live in a small town, so not much variety in terms of the brands others have mentioned) and I saw that Blue Bunny has several fat free/sugar free options. I ended up settling on a caramel toffee crunch. It has 90 cal/serving. When I scooped it, it wasn't as creamy or soft as some other ice creams I have had, but the taste was pretty good. It will do the job. Because it's a big name brand, it is reasonably priced and can be found just about anywhere, so you won't have to go to a specialty store like Whole Foods and pay $8/pint.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Wink is a waste of money and calories... literally the grossest ice cream-like dessert I have tried. Its basically an overpriced pint of ice.

Arctic Zero isn't bad for the calories, but I typically fit Edy's slow-churned into my day if I really want ice cream since the macros are great.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't eat sweets very often, or in quantity, so I'd rather enjoy good quality "real" treats
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Chocolate, twist, vanilla, mint. They're all good, about 150 calories/sandwich.