Weigh In

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    jlcnuke wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily and "track" my weight weekly. The number on the scale doesn't bother me though, but for some people it can, so for those people a daily weight check may not be a good idea. I like the article from WebMD on the subject that effectively says "daily is good, unless checking daily affects your mood/self-esteem on days when the number isn't what you'd hoped, then less frequently is better".

I think it should be the other way around - "weekly is good, unless not seeing daily fluctuations makes you think you aren't losing weight, (even though you may very well be losing), and freak out. You can't really tell, because you're missing 6 out of 7 data points" :D
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but I record only on Thursdays.

This. Weight can fluctuate several pounds within a day and between days. I have an app that I track daily and it gives me trends so I know even if I have a high day (maybe due to high sodium intake the day before, hormones/ToM) or low day (because who knows?) I can see that I'm still generally trending in the right direction. It helps because sometimes I'll be lower M-W and then jump up a couple pounds on Thursday, but it stresses me out less because I know I was around that lower weight and the jump is most likely due to fluctuations in water retention. That said, I only log my Thursday weights here and when I do weigh-ins for groups.

However often you weigh yourself, try to weigh about the same time (with respect to bathroom use, eating), same clothes/lack of clothes every time to give yourself the most consistent points for comparison to track progress.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jlcnuke wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily and "track" my weight weekly. The number on the scale doesn't bother me though, but for some people it can, so for those people a daily weight check may not be a good idea. I like the article from WebMD on the subject that effectively says "daily is good, unless checking daily affects your mood/self-esteem on days when the number isn't what you'd hoped, then less frequently is better".

I think it should be the other way around - "weekly is good, unless not seeing daily fluctuations makes you think you aren't losing weight, (even though you may very well be losing), and freak out. You can't really tell, because you're missing 6 out of 7 data points" :D

Yep yep. If I only weighed once a week, what if the day I chose was a high weight day due to water retention or whatever, I would be totally gutted. Weighing everyday gives you a truer number. The more data you have to look back on, the better IMO
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Once a month at Weight Watchers. Since I'm always under my set goal weight, that's enough for me.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    once a week on Monday evening, however. the last two weeks, I have also weighed myself on Tuesday morning and the results were pretty different. 3# difference with being lighter in the morning...strange?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself in the evening then you're also weighing all the food and fluid you've consumed over the day that is still in your system...
    If I weigh myself after drinking 2 cups of tea (big cups) Then I can weigh up to 2lbs more than I weighed before drinking them.

Always weigh yourself in the morning after the toilet and before eating or drinking anything.
  • sheri2490579
    sheri2490579 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your comments really helped!