Gluten

Options
Some people need to eat gluten free, but how do you know if you are one of them?

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor because I had terrible stomach issues. I could eat a steak and potatoes and not have a problem, but 5 minutes after eating a piece of toast and I was in the bathroom for 1/2 an hour. He suggested I try to eliminate gluten, and also referred me to an allergist. The allergist ran his tests, and I tested positive for a wheat allergy. My stomach issues went away and my eczema I had all my life also went away. People can actually have an intolerance to it and not have Celiac disease.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    if you are having some chronic symptoms of possible gluten intolerance you can always try completely cutting it out for a few weeks and see if you improve. when you eat it again, do you feel bad again? if so you may want to talk to a doctor.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you feel you have celiac disease, there are tests for that.

that being said, i am severely sensitive to wheat but can eat other gluten-containing foods like rye and spelt all day long with no problems. i figured it out by, as Slasher09 suggest, removing all gluten from my diet, then adding a single item back at a time. my doctors didn't figure it out at all.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You see your doctor and receive a diagnosis that requires you to be gluten free (i.e. Celiacs, an allergy, an intolerance etc).
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I had a Biospy done a few years ago after having a lot of digestive problems with certain foods that I ate which came back positive for celiac's disease.
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone that replied. I know a year ago I switched to wheat bread, rolls, anything that I could eat in wheat. I had terrible stomach and bathroom problems, it took me awhile to figure it out, but after I stopped all wheat, symptoms went away. Figured it was the wheat. Thanks again for comments.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I think most people would feel better overall if they ate less gluten or even no gluten but it's hard. I stopped eating so much gluten for over a year and felt better. Gluten affects most people and they don't even know it (depression, headaches, makes you feel lazy, achey). If you can cut it out a little bit then that can help. Not everyone is clinically affected by it to where a doctor has to diagnose you. It just bothers us and we don't even know it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Where is your source for this? Gluten affects MOST people? Please provide us with some studies that verify this claim.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    True gluten intolerance/celiac disease affects a small percentage of people.

There are a lot of people hopping on the gluten free bandwagon. It was the latest/greatest diet tip last year. It will be something else next.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with people who said to go to the doctor. I'm fine with gluten, but I'm mildly allergic to both wheat and rye. which is so sad because I love rye. I get similar intestinal symptoms as you if I over do it. I keep my wheat intake to 1 piece of bread or pizza a day and that seems to be my happy spot. More than that and I pay the price.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you truly suspect celiac disease, you must continue to eat gluten until AFTER you are tested. Talk to your doctor first.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I think most people would feel better overall if they ate less gluten or even no gluten but it's hard. I stopped eating so much gluten for over a year and felt better. Gluten affects most people and they don't even know it (depression, headaches, makes you feel lazy, achey). If you can cut it out a little bit then that can help. Not everyone is clinically affected by it to where a doctor has to diagnose you. It just bothers us and we don't even know it.

lol - yea. No. Many of us are fine with gluten. Don't buy into the marketing. If it bothers you then don't eat it, but it is certainly no boogeyman.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »
    thank you to everyone that replied. I know a year ago I switched to wheat bread, rolls, anything that I could eat in wheat. I had terrible stomach and bathroom problems, it took me awhile to figure it out, but after I stopped all wheat, symptoms went away. Figured it was the wheat. Thanks again for comments.

Wait, what kind of bread were you eating before the switch?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your doctor before making any diet shift like that. There is no benefit to going off of gluten if you have no medical reason to do so.

Gluten is awesome. I buy it out of the bulk bins to add to my pizza dough. Higher the gluten the better the crust.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

Source?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    True gluten intolerance/celiac disease affects a small percentage of people.

There are a lot of people hopping on the gluten free bandwagon. It was the latest/greatest diet tip last year. It will be something else next.

You do know that gluten intolerance and celiac disease are not the same thing don't you? You can have an intolerance and not have celiac disease.
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell even with an elimination diet. I thought it was gluten that was bothering my stomach, bladder (interstitial cystitis) and other female issues. Going gluten free helped tremendously but in my case it wasn't gluten per se - but a yeast issue - and I get that with any kind of bread/pasta/sugar over-consumption. I'm now totally off of the Diflucan I was on when the Dr's were trying to figure this out. But you know that's not something I like to talk about in mixed company (but I'm posting it for the whole world here!) so I usually just say I'm 'gluten intolerant' if I'm eating with someone who doesn't want or need to know all the gory details :wink:
  • JJShotz
    JJShotz Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It took me years to figure this out. Insurance didn't cover all the expensive allergy testing. Saved up and did the full scratch and patch test. Wheat sensitivity was one thing it returned. This DOES NOT mean I am gluten intolerant. I have barley and oats, etc. SO, I didn't have to give up all beer which I had done in the past not knowing. :) If I do gluten free foods, I know I'm safe. I really have to just watch for wheat ingredients in packaged foods. It can be difficult in restaurants, so I play it safe there.

I had bad eczema, stomach issues, panic attacks, headaches, and concentration issues for years. I removed all wheat and the only time I get any of these symptoms is during wheat contamination. So, I stay pretty careful and never stray. For me, it's not worth it to eat wheat. It takes 7 -10 days to recover from a bad reaction completely.

If you can afford it or are covered, visit an allergist. If not, as others have mentioned, remove all gluten, and test if you can tolerate certain grains. This takes a long time to do and never was clear to me until I found out for sure with my allergist. My general MD didn't offer too much help throughout the years.

Good luck!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor and have them run tests, including the gluten sensitivity. I have a few friends that are non-celiac gluten sensitivity. That sensitivity can range from mild stomach upset to blisters and severe gut ache. If it just happened with wheat, have them test you for a wheat allergen as well.