Gluten

Options
2»

Replies

• one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    janejellyroll…. I was eating plain white bread, I was ok with that, but not with the wheat products.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »
    janejellyroll…. I was eating plain white bread, I was ok with that, but not with the wheat products.

There is wheat in regular white bread...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

There is gluten in white bread -- it is made out of wheat.

If you meant you changed to eating "whole wheat" products and began having issues, that would probably be related to increased fiber intake -- not gluten. Regular bread and pasta have gluten.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I avoid gluten because I have a diagnosed intolerance. I love bread. I miss bread. Gluten free versions just aren't the same and unfortunately I get some pretty major GI distress when I eat it now after having avoided it for so long, so for me, it isn't even worth it to eat it.

You need to go to the doctor though if you suspect an intolerance or an allergy. You can try cutting it out to see if you feel better, but if you are going to have tests run, don't stop eating it, you actually need to be consuming gluten in order for the tests to be effective.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    True on the testing. For any testing done by the Doctor, you must have been eating gluten products. However, and that is a big however, if you suspect you are merely (I don't mean that "merely" mean) intolerant or have a sensitivity, do eliminate all gluten products - and that can mean canned products - check for hidden gluten; for at least a couple weeks to a month, then add back in carefully. Symptoms can be anything from IBS, bloating, stomach pain, skin issues, headaches, on and on..... After elimination I pulled a smart one and went to Olive Garden and had pasta, bread rolls, dessert, you name it! Needless to say my husband had to pull the car over on the way home when I thought I was going to hurl and then drive very fast to get me home..... Not Pretty and TMI, sorry! It took another month to feel better again. And please do not take it personally when the snarky people say,,,, "Oh, you jumped on the gluten free fad diet." Pooh on them. We know what does and does not work in our own bodies! There are many folks that tolerate gluten very well - some of us, not so much! Good luck with this!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    True gluten intolerance/celiac disease affects a small percentage of people.

There are a lot of people hopping on the gluten free bandwagon. It was the latest/greatest diet tip last year. It will be something else next.

You do know that gluten intolerance and celiac disease are not the same thing don't you? You can have an intolerance and not have celiac disease.

It is also claimed by various sources to be the most under diagnosed conditions in the first world. Ignorance is bliss.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

There are a lot of people hopping on the gluten free bandwagon. It was the latest/greatest diet tip last year. It will be something else next.

You do know that gluten intolerance and celiac disease are not the same thing don't you? You can have an intolerance and not have celiac disease.

It is also claimed by various sources to be the most under diagnosed conditions in the first world. Ignorance is bliss.

Lots of things are claimed by "various sources," many which -- upon analysis -- turn out to be utterly mistaken. In order to evaluate the claims, we'd need to know what information it was based on.
  • one235
    Options
    All I hear about is Gluten. I really didn't know there was gluten and wheat in white bread. Yes, it was Whole Wheat.
    I am 69 and never heard of all this stuff years ago. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    All I hear about is Gluten. I really didn't know there was gluten and wheat in white bread. Yes, it was Whole Wheat.
    I am 69 and never heard of all this stuff years ago. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    No one is 'offended' at all. They're just trying to help you. I see no angry responses anywhere. Don't worry!

Do go and see your doctor. That is definitely your best bet. However, you'd have to eat any foods that have been bothering you before the test to see if the wheat or gluten has been bothering you. If the white bread was fine and WW was not, then it may very well be the extra fiber or maybe of of the grains that has been bothering you.

Good luck!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

There is gluten in white bread -- it is made out of wheat.

If you meant you changed to eating "whole wheat" products and began having issues, that would probably be related to increased fiber intake -- not gluten. Regular bread and pasta have gluten.

+1
    Anything with wheat contains gluten. If you were okay with white bread, gluten is not your issue
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm spelt intolerant. It took my doctor and I a while to identify it, but it was a fun journey. Never new how much spelt is in random breads and other things.

I do love me some gluten though.
  • one235
    Options
    thanks for all the replies and help. I will tell my doctor about it and go from there. Thank you all again.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It might be the fiber but definitely talk to your Dr
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Probably not.
    Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2364869
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Probably not.
    Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

That very small study proves nothing. I don't have Celiac disease, however, I do have a gluten intolerance. I know this by experimenting myself, and having myself tested. There is a difference between Celiac disease and a gluten intolerance. They are not the same thing.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Probably not.

That very small study proves nothing. I don't have Celiac disease, however, I do have a gluten intolerance. I know this by experimenting myself, and having myself tested. There is a difference between Celiac disease and a gluten intolerance. They are not the same thing.

37 subjects, double blind, placebo controlled crossover design vs n=1 self diagnosis. Guess which is more reliable?

And no, you weren't tested for gluten intolerance since no such test exists.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Probably not.

Actually, it proves much more than your anectodal evidence. Unless you yourself are a doctor. Although my friend who truly has celiac disease, verified by biopsy of her intestine, thanks people who have "gluten intolerance" for the improved variety of foods in the grocery store that she can eat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do not have celiacs, but I have an actual allergy to wheat, barley and oat (even oat that is gf). This has been verified by blood work. I have had to be on a ventilator many times because of my allergy (throat closes) and have gone in respiratory arrest in the past because of it.

There are other issues than just celiacs, but I also question the legitimacy of "gluten intolerance".
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Lots of things are claimed by "various sources," many which -- upon analysis -- turn out to be utterly mistaken. In order to evaluate the claims, we'd need to know what information it was based on.

I'm sorry, I'll retrace every article I've ever read on the subject just so that I can post sources, in order to have some random poster on a forum will believe me haha. Just give me ten minutes.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm sorry, I'll retrace every article I've ever read on the subject just so that I can post sources, in order to have some random poster on a forum will believe me haha. Just give me ten minutes.

Nobody is forcing you to participate in a conversation. It isn't unreasonable for someone who claims that various sources support something to be able to name a couple of those sources. If you truly have no idea who claims that or where, maybe claiming it publicly isn't the best idea.

My point is that "various sources" make all sorts of claims. For that to have any meaning, people need to know what those sources are. Is it some random website run by a raw foodist? Is it a site run by medical researchers? These things make a difference even if you would rather they don't.